2004 Audi A6 Avant Quattro

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
The other half is looking at a 2004 Audi A6 Wagon Quattro with the 220hp 3.0 V6, 130k miles, loaded with most every option, "Impeccablty Maintained", etc.

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of the pro's/con's of this vehicle?

Known problems/issues, etc

Generally a good car or something that will give problem after problem, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I would say if you can work on them your self and at least fix the small stuff, then go for it. The timing belt is kind of a pain unless you have the special tools. Of course it's not very god on gas compared to other Audi/VW products.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I'm sure I can work on it (I do everything on my car now), I'd just rather not have to work on it :)

Timing belt was changed at 115k miles, so it has 15k on the most recent belt.

Any idea how it does on MPG's - I'm guessing mid 20's on the highway but maybe I'm way off.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Nice car. My neighbor has the exact one (04 0r 05 I think). He has had no big problems, but it doesn't get driven much. His wife uses it for local runs and they take the new Camry on trips.

hysterwv

Veteran Member
I had an earlier C5 platform A6 ('00 4.2). No major issues with the 3.0. All VAG vehicles are subject to coilpack failures. Only other "issue" was tie rod end and upper control arm failure. I didn't know, unitl OH pointed out, that these cars use the same control arms as our B5.5 passats. Unfortunately, they didn't do as well with the added weight of the heavier cars. I replaced 2 sets of upper arms during my 140k miles of ownership. Not a huge deal, just something to look for.

joegt3

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
I had a 99 A6 Avant with the 2.8 and loved it. Purchased it with 82K sold at 109K no issues. Mileage was 22/26. Hope this helps.

Joe

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
as these are probably more mile sensitive than our tdi's, just be prepared for expensive repairs. the price/value should be commensurate with the mileage.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
as these are probably more mile sensitive than our tdi's, just be prepared for expensive repairs. the price/value should be commensurate with the mileage.
Yes, true with any Euro car. They are not cheap to maintain with high miles and the purchaser should NOT have that expectation.

WTS, here's an interesting piece in CT with a V8 !! :D

141k miles :)