Auto-Polar PF3 on post fix '14 JSW TDI MT6

hamilgs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta & 2014 JSW 6MT
It works fine, and I would not want to be without it. I'm running firmware version 0.5.5b9. How to determine when a newer firmware version is available?

1. Do they email me a heads up? or,
2. Does Auto-Polar announce the new version on their website? or,
3 Do I have to plug the PF3 into a computer and use the updater tool?

Note that it's not so easy to get to the PF3 when installed (remove anti-submarine airbag, remove HVAC duct, disconnect car battery...), and I didn't leave a USB cable plugged in after the install-perhaps that would have been a good idea.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
It works fine, and I would not want to be without it. I'm running firmware version 0.5.5b9. How to determine when a newer firmware version is available?

1. Do they email me a heads up? or,
2. Does Auto-Polar announce the new version on their website? or,
3 Do I have to plug the PF3 into a computer and use the updater tool?

Note that it's not so easy to get to the PF3 when installed (remove anti-submarine airbag, remove HVAC duct, disconnect car battery...), and I didn't leave a USB cable plugged in after the install-perhaps that would have been a good idea.
1) for release versions at least. I'm not certain about every new beta release.
2) Not sure, I never checked the website often enough to tell. Once everything I wanted worked, I really didn't update mine unless a new feature came along that I wanted.
3) Number 3 will always tell you what the latest available version is, but without a USB cable plugged in this can be a PITA.

I left a USB cable plugged in mine just to make updates easier (when necessary).

Have Fun!

Don

hamilgs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta & 2014 JSW 6MT
Reply from Auto-Polar today: Currently stable version is v0.5.5 so it is not necessary you upgrade if unit works good.
New versions are published in the NEWS section of the website, so just check periodically our website (www.autopolar.net) and you will see if we launch a new one.

One trick for you, you can leave cable USB plugged in your PolarFIS and outside the "plastics" of your car. This way each update u can go to the car with your laptop and flash without dissasemble nothing.

Last edited:

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Thought I would post this here in case someone has the same issue and is searching.

I updated my PF3 to 5.7b prior to having the fix and confirmed it worked. For the fix i just turned the PF3 off. After the fix the PF3 was not recognized/would not register with the gateway.

Reflashing 5.7b solved the problem. Although I have not driven the car yet with the PF3 reinstalled, the screens came up and after a short lag for bus communication reasonable numbers for atmospheric pressure and temperatures were indicated.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
The only problem I seem to be having with mine is that no matter how I have it setup, it always reads approx 1 atmosphere too high.

At idle, it is reading about 15 psi or just under 1 bar. And it spikes at approx 32 psi. I know it’s wrong because our turbos do not produce that much boost on a bone stock car. I have tried every combination of relative or absolute readings and automatic, Infotx1, Infotx2, and Diagnostics for obtaining the data.

I have tried submitting a trouble ticket to AutoPolar and after a few firmware updates I think it is getting lost in translation.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
“The only problem I seem to be having with mine is that no matter how I have it setup, it always reads approx 1 atmosphere too high.“

Yes something unintuitive has to be done. I will look at how mine is set up and let you know

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
It sounds like you are displaying manifold pressure instead of boost. Boost would be manifold pressure minus ambient pressure, which (at sea level) is 1 atmosphere = 14.7 psi. See https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-altitude-pressure-d_462.html for altitude correction etc. .

I'd argue displaying absolute manifold pressure is more useful, since it is directly related to the power output, whereas the boost for the same power needs to go up with altitude.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
My settings

Boost read: infort x2
Boost options: relative
!Boost options: relative

The readings I get make sense to me, zero to maybe 20 psig

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
LOL. Now I have a problem, don’t know how long this has been happening but it is reading way off, at least when the engine is cold.
The car runs perfectly normally but with the settings above the measured boost starts out at atmos. Then begins to climb. I first noticed it when I was cruising on a level road. 70 km/hr in 5 th with an indicated 16 psi boost. This morning I had 23 psi on the same stretch. I was getting just above 14 at idle, then 20 at idle. Requested boost is normal 3-4 psig or something similar when cruising and basically 0 at idle.

After the engine is warm it seemed to go back to a normal level. I haven’t had time to play around yet and I’m 99.9% sure the engine knows nothing about the strange readings.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Wilkins,

That is really strange...

I can tell you that I have tried your suggested settings and nothing seems to have changed. I have a constant high reading +1 atmosphere.