Need help completing tune

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
i recently received a tune from Matt to resolve my starting issue. The 1.9l tdi starts after 3 to 4 revolutions. Most of the time if I crank a couple of revolutions, turn key off, the try again it will start on 1st or 2nd revolutions. Sometimes is will start on first revolution. Anyhow, Matt Whitbread sent me a loader to resolve the issue. Here are the steps I have completed.....
I connect the loader, main menu appears, select "Identify the ECU", select "Read file from ECU - but it says already loaded in memory", next I select "write file to ECU - it gives two options, Originale or EEN-V1.0, If I select EEN - v1.0, I get the message "VIN Mismatch"VIN must match the one in memory".
I've never completed a tune so I don't want to screw up my ECU. When I select the "Identiy the ECU", do I select erase?
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Sounds like you pulled the original file from a different ECU.
Try deleting the original file on the programmer and download it again. If that doesn't work write Whitbred and have him figure it out. That's his job.
@whitbread

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
Yeah I've emailed Matt. I would love to get this resolved. I thought maybe I was missing a step. Thanks!

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
So is EEN-V1.0 what you want to load on your ECU?

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
So is EEN-V1.0 what you want to load on your ECU?
I don't have a clue. Matt sent me the loader to resolve the issue with no instructions. I only see Originale and EEN-V1.0. So I'm guessing EEN is what is suppose to be uploaded. It is suppose to resolve the starting issue.

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
It should be, have you tried wiring the other one? It should give the same error, however, may not. Then you can redownload it and write the one you want.

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
It should be, have you tried wiring the other one? It should give the same error, however, may not. Then you can redownload it and write the one you want.

What do you mean about wiring the other one? I have never completed a tune so I am absolutely clueless.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
What do you mean about wiring the other one? I have never completed a tune so I am absolutely clueless.
Sorry, stupid phone changes things sometimes, meant to say writing the other one.
Basically the programmer is dedicated to a single Vin and should give the same error when you try to write the original file to the ECU, however, you may be able to get it to do something different.

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
Sorry, stupid phone changes things sometimes, meant to say writing the other one.
Basically the programmer is dedicated to a single Vin and should give the same error when you try to write the original file to the ECU, however, you may be able to get it to do something different.

Originale?

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Yes, if it'll write that one to the ECU, you can pull it back off and write the tune.
Otherwise I would go to their vendors and have them deal with it for you.

Last edited:

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
I'm going to wait for Matt to reply. I thought maybe I'm doing something incorrectly and it would be a simple fix. I shipped the ECU to him and I don't know who actually completed the tune. Hopefully he will respond soon. Thanks for the help.... The IP seems a little noisy. It sat for about a year and a half before I completed the swap. After it was rear ended, the previous owner drove it to his garage and it shut off (fuel pump was dislodged from the impact) leaving the IP empty. I may have to replace the IP. I checked the timing and it was off just a little. I set the timing within specs and noticed it was jumpy. Not sure if the tune would have anything to do with this. It has amazing power.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Do you have the software to download the EEN file to your PC? You will need this to download both files. Then clear the loader. You will then have to pick the ECU you are workubg with and load that program. Next read the ECU. Then load EEN program via PC, then load to ECU.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
If you sent the ECU in, why do you need to write a file to it? Shouldn't it be done? That's the only reason to send it in.

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
If you sent the ECU in, why do you need to write a file to it? Shouldn't it be done? That's the only reason to send it in.

It is not starting correctly and Matt sent the loader to fix the issue.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Ah, okay, makes sense. Definitely wait then, and as said by vwztips you'll likely need to clear the loader and start over with it. You should be able to pull the files and reload it with Matt's help.

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
Do you have the software to download the EEN file to your PC? You will need this to download both files. Then clear the loader. You will then have to pick the ECU you are workubg with and load that program. Next read the ECU. Then load EEN program via PC, then load to ECU.
I don't have the software to download the EEN file. Maybe that is what I am missing. Matt is probably on vacation. He just told me to wait until the loader arrives but no instructions came with it so I am completely lost.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
The software is downloadable, the VIN being locked and not the same is the issue. Programming is on the loader already, he'll got you set-up when he gets back.

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
I received the download from Matt. Erased the loader and installed new software. Capture the config file and sent to Matt. Mean while, I am driving home and noticed the IP not as noisy as previously. Engine was running perfect. Late that evening, I made some changes to wiring on my heater and the next morning, truck was hard starting. Once started, lots of white smoke with a heavy smell of diesel. I check the timing and it appears graph off the wall. I set the timing again and moved counter clockwise gave it pretty good bump. Still off the chart. Could the belt jumped a tooth.

Last edited:

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
I received the tuner program a couple of weeks ago, it resolved the starting issues. However, while driving and testing just as I was arriving home, it overheated. It was pushing water out of the radiator. I removed the bottom radiator that connects to the Thermostat, no water was circulating. After researching, I thought it must be the thermostat or water pump. I replaced them and replaced timing belt. Put it back together, but have not driven yet. I noticed when I fill the expansion tanks(fish bowl) to level, my radiator over flows. The bottom outlet on the fish bowl, is connected to the outlet next to the thermostat? I put a level on the fish bowl and radiator thinking I may have it too high but not sure how much lower it should be than the top radiator outlet. The temp was averaging around 140 before overheating.
1. Could it be my head gasket
2. It there a better way to gauge the temperature? Currently have sensor installed between hose that connects to top radiator. Should i purchase a Scangauge?
3. How is the best way to test for head gasket blown.

Thanks

Last edited: