Mk7 Common issues and resolutions

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I haven't seen too much info in this thread about the silicant from the reservoir clogging the heater matrix. Has anyone definitive information on this as there are dozens of threads across various forums. Much of what i have read is if this issue surfaces with your MK7 TDI - it's practically impossible to remedy? Many people have had to fit several new heater matrix's at £000's of expense.

Do you guys have pouches or pods in the coolant bottle? Our NMS has pods, i've heard the pouches are the ones that rupture and cause issues.

My un educated guess is the high EGR and crazy high CAIT the W2A inter cooler bakes the coolant.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I picked up a 2015 Golf TDI yesterday and there’s a rattling sound when idling coming from somewhere around the dash or console. It sounds like it’s under the car, but I can’t pinpoint it.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I picked up a 2015 Golf TDI yesterday and there’s a rattling sound when idling coming from somewhere around the dash or console. It sounds like it’s under the car, but I can’t pinpoint it.
SEL trim?
I get a buzzing noise occasionally from something in the HVAC system, but only if it's in the 90F+ temp range.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
SEL trim?
I get a buzzing noise occasionally from something in the HVAC system, but only if it's in the 90F+ temp range.
It is an SEL. Sometimes it sounds like it’s behind the glove compartment, but it normally comes from the console around the shifter. I’m thinking that it’s a heat shield, but I can only get it to make the noise while driving or coming to a stop. I can’t find it when completely stopped.

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
Today my factory non-nav radio stopped working. It was working fine before I shut off the vehicle and left for about an hour. Upon return it did not turn on with the vehicle when I started it to leave. I pushed the power button and nothing. I pushed some of the other buttons and nothing. The one thing that did work is the back-up camera displayed as usual, but still no tunes or anything at all on the display or out of the speakers. Googled it and saw that it was a common problem with previous VW models and the fix was to push the power button for one to three minutes. It only took about 10-15 seconds for my radio to wake back up with the power button pushed continuously. Working fine now.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
thats a $1500 fix if holding the power button didn't work, scary thought

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I got my rattle sound fixed! There was a bolt missing on the fuel filter housing according the to service advisor. He said that three bolts hold it in place and it only had two.

TDI_Ry

TDI
MK7 Golf TDI
So a few days a go I noticed a vibration while coasting at various speeds. The vibration would go away while under acceleration and no noticeable vibration or noise from any tires and nothing on the steering wheel. It sounds like the bottom belly pan cover was flapping away in the wind or that something is hitting it over and over again.

At first it seemed like it was coming from the front passenger side area. It has now moved to the front middle of the car and I could hear/feel it under the drivers side floor only when coasting. I first thought it was the plastic bottom engine cover that was loose (it wasn't this). I took the cover off and saw nothing noticeable that would be causing this problem. The only thing would be one of the hoses for emissions but it's been like that since I had the car with no such issues.

Only thought would be my winter tires which I recently put on a week ago (didn't have issues until several days later)
Any thoughts?

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
78,000 Miles..... New tires. DSG fluid and filter. DSG adaptation. New wiper blades all the way around.

To top it all off the Malone DSG Tune.... Best money spent on the car yet. Completely different car now. Drives amazing. No longer wana set the car on fire. The DSG tune is the perfect fix the the common drive-ability issues that many have. It completely fixed the slow take off issue. No more lug lug lug when trying to accelerate. The car now down shifts a single gear and moves right along when accelerating.

Last edited:

Ovrhill

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon BEW, '06 Golf BEW, '15 Golf TDI(sold), '05 Golf TDI (wrecked)
Bought a CPO Golf SE with lighting package a couple of months back to replace my cherished 05 Golf BEW that was totaled. Like the upgrade in refinement. Guess only time will tell about durability.
My biggest issue so far is with the light steering feel of the MK7 compared to my old bucking bronco. Just having a difficult time acclimating.
Curious if anyone else has any issues with this or if any adjustments can be made using VCDS (which I do not currently have)?
Appreciate any thoughts.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Curious if anyone else has any issues with this or if any adjustments can be made using VCDS (which I do not currently have)?
Appreciate any thoughts.
There are at least a couple of steering mode changes available in VCDS: disabling DSR (Driver Steering Recommendation) and different settings for Driving Profile Switchover.

Ovrhill

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks RIP.
Have you changed any of the steering settings on your MK7.
I'm looking for a feel that's just a bit firmer.
Wondering what results you or anyone else might have gotten.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Yes, I changed the 2 mentioned and it feels better, more direct and positive.

Ovrhill

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like the tweak that I need.
Way past time for me to get VCDS6.
Maybe this will make me get it done.
Thank you

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you ever get around Round Rock let me know and I will help you change the settings. I have VCDS. We could even meet in Lampasas some time after the holidays maybe with prior arrangements and a lunch. I wouldn't mind trying Eve's Cafe for some German food. A good cold hefeweizen and some Jager Schnitzel afterwards. No sense buying the cable for just this one thing. You can always get it later if need be.

Ovrhill

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll take you up on that sometime whether I need the use of your VCDS or not.
Otherwise, we do have other VW's in the family. Can't believe I've never ponied up for the cable. Lived without it for 12 yrs with my MK4. TDIGUY Steve is close though and he's been very good to me.
Did buy my MK7 from Onion Creek. Couldn't find anything near me when I was in the market.
Thanks and I'll be sure to look you up when I'm down that way again.

armyschus

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI, Blue Silk Metalic, 6M
Did my 70K service. I cleaned and greased the caliper bushings on all four wheels. The fronts were a mess and the left rear looked like it had no lubrication.

remzac

TDI
2015 GOlf TDI Trendline
78,000 Miles..... New tires. DSG fluid and filter. DSG adaptation. New wiper blades all the way around.

To top it all off the Malone DSG Tune.... Best money spent on the car yet. Completely different car now. Drives amazing. No longer wana set the car on fire. The DSG tune is the perfect fix the the common drive-ability issues that many have. It completely fixed the slow take off issue. No more lug lug lug when trying to accelerate. The car now down shifts a single gear and moves right along when accelerating.
Thinking about a Malone tune for my 2015. I just can't stand the poor DSG tune VW has after all the emissions updates. They apparently have an engine tune and DSG tune for OEM non altered TDI's. Glad to hear its gone well.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Even before the emissions fixes, I was not pleased with the DSG; the Malone DSG tune took care of that nicely! :D

Zacho

TDI
2015 GSW
I picked up a SE TDI wagon. The front passenger seat won't recline. However I can hear the motor spinning. Anyone know if this is something that is accessible and a fairly easy DIY.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
You have a Mk6 - while there's plenty of experience here on the Mk7 sub-forum, you'll probably have better luck over on the dedicated Mk6.

Dieselgorl

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Golf TDI S: Level sensor for DEF tank went out at around 95k miles, don’t remember exact mileage anymore it was almost 2 years ago now. Was causing the car to think it’s almost empty when it wasn’t. Check engine light on. The countdown and def light would come on and turn off intermittently. We were able to get away with clearing the code and resetting the control module a few times over a year and a half and about 20k miles. Last attempt to do so didn’t work so now it’s sitting at the dealership waiting for the part since the countdown was down to 300 miles. Reason it’s been 2 years is a long ass story of people not doing their jobs. But I got a loaner and it’s a warranty service. Only real fix is to replace the whole tank and it’s something that has to come straight from the manufacturer and is pretty much always on “back order” because of that. According to my BF who’s a VW mechanic it’s not a common failure but he’s seen a few come through his shop over the years.