Amsoil In this Thread only

Which AMSOIL?

• Total voters

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Harley,

I did some research on these engines but never found a recommended two cycle oil specification like JASO-FD. However since they are air cooled and run at very high rpms I'd probably try the Amsoil Sabre Professional which is their best oil for very high temp applications.

TS

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The Amsoil 5w-30, synchromesh fluid is their recommendation for the Honda MTF. It works very well and shifts nicely.

TS

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The Amsoil 5w-30, synchromesh fluid is their recommendation for the Honda MTF. It works very well and shifts nicely.

TS

ldp787

TDI
2012 Sportwagen
Based on the poll it appears the Euro oil is the most popular choice, is this based off of any UOA's?

I need to get an order in and am curious if I should get the full SAPS to help out my BEW crankshaft?

HarleyGuy

Banned
TDI
2006 veetle, 2002 jetta
Is this stuff worth pouring into my gasoline car? It still gets great MPGs so I kinda doubt it's worth it, and also I'm worried the solvent might damage the pump (low lubricity). The first one is about 3 dollars cheaper per 20 gallons treated. I don't understand what the difference is between the two.

P.i. Performance Improver Gasoline Additive

-or- Quickshot

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Harley,

The PI is for gasoline engine vehicles and four stroke inboard engines. The recommendation is to use a bottle every 4000-5000 miles with a full tank of fuel. If you buy cheap, off brand fuel the PI works very well. If you're using a premium fuel like Shell V-Power, or Chevron or BP premium fuels, you probably don't need the PI.

The Quickshot is intended for continuous use (1 bottle mixed with 12 gallons of fuel), with two and four stroke Outdoor Power Equipment (OPE) and two stroke outboards, PWC's, snowmobiles, etc. It prevents phase separation that can occur with stored fuels containing ethanol. The QS also contains a fuel stabilizer that's effective up to four months.
I used the QS last season in both two and four stroke OPE engines. They all ran and idled noticeably smoother.

TS

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Ipd,

The Amsoil, full SAPS European Formula meets VW 505.00 but NOT the VW 505.01 spec for the PD engines. I've found the Premium CJ-4/SN, HD synthetic diesel oil (DEO) provides the best results in all TDI engines - except for those with DPF's that require a low ash, VW 507.00 oil. The DEO is thicker than any of the European Formulas and has higher levels of anti wear additives (ZDDP, boron and moly). It also has higher levels of detergent/dispersant additives, so it will last longer (10k-15k), in service.

TS

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
For those who care about such things, Amsoil has now licensed their 5w-40, HD synthetic diesel oil ("DEO"). It's an API CJ-4/SN formulation, meaning it also meets the latest gas engine specs. I'm not sure what the usual suspects will complain about now, but I'm sure they'll find something.

The new Spec sheet is posted on their website....

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
For those who care about such things, Amsoil has now licensed their 5w-40, HD synthetic diesel oil ("DEO"). It's an API CJ-4/SN formulation, meaning it also meets the latest gas engine specs. I'm not sure what the usual suspects will complain about now, but I'm sure they'll find something.

The new Spec sheet is posted on their website....
Some small changes:

Old DEO: http://ww2.amsoil.com/storefront/deo.aspx

New DEO: http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/diesel/premium-api-cj-4-synthetic-5w-40-diesel-oil/

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Bob,

Data sheets represent "typical batch properties" - it's not an engineering specification. There is going to be some batch to batch variation when you're talking about a large scale industrial process with batch sizes in the thousands of gallons.

This is probably the same additive chemistry they've been using, with some additional testing to verify compliance with the API/SN, gas engine specification. I suspect they're also using a new lot of raw materials in the blend stream.

TS

HarleyGuy

Banned
TDI
2006 veetle, 2002 jetta
Why the 0W and 5W price difference?

Why's there a price difference in Amsoil's 0W and 5W oils? Do the 5W oils have no viscosity index modifiers and that's why they are cheaper?

$10.55
0W-20 Signature Series
0W-30 Signature Series

$10.15
5W-20 Signature Series
5W-30 Signature Series

Last edited:

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
HG,

That would be my guess about the 5w-20 and 10w-30. However the 5w-30/ASL has a VI of 166, which is comparable to the 0w-20 & 0w-30. So they may also be using a different low viscosity PAO for the 0w oils.

HarleyGuy

Banned
TDI
2006 veetle, 2002 jetta
RedLine uses no VI modifiers in their 20 weight racing oil, and yet it still reads as a 5W-20 by default. I suspect the Amsoil is the same way..... it's a default 5w-20 without additives. (And therefore cheaper.)

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The only Amsoil product that I know for sure uses no VI modifier is their 10w-30/straight 30wt, HD diesel oil ("ACD"). It has a VI of ~ 140, as I recall.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Many people with TDI's use fuel additives at least occasionally....

I've had excellent feedback on both the diesel fuel concentrate and the cetane boost - in the latter case particularly for modified engines. These high speed diesels really run best with a fuel cetane close to 50 (what they run on in Europe), and if you live in a cold climate the cetane boost makes a noticeable difference in starting & warmup characteristics.

TS

jdroecker

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Ok,

so i am new here and to TDI engines in general. I have a 2011 JSW TDI ans was wondering if Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil is what I want to use. The car has 29,000 approx on it now and I have no idea what the previous owner used. Will switching to Amsoil be ok at this point?

Thanks

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Yes the 5w-30 European Formula is what Amsoil warrantees for the latest TDI engines. Their 5w-40 European oil (AFL), is also a low ash formulation that meets the Mercedes 229.51 & BMW LL04 specifications. So once you're out of the warranty period, that would be another option.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Jdroecker,

You live in a hot climate (home of Nolan Ryan, the former Met!). So I wouldn't expect any issues with fuel dilution or excessive moisture in the oil. Running 10k service intervals shouldn't be a problem with the Amsoil 5w-30.

TS

mschrad5

TDI
2004 Passat GLS
Amsoil debate cont'd

I do not care what oil any member fill his/her crankcase with. I will fill mine with Amsoil. Used it for years in many vehicles... outstanding performance!

mschrad5

TDI
2004 Passat GLS
Sorry about the delay.
As of now; only the motor oil. European Car Formula 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil (505.01). I am changing trans fluid next weekend and would love to use the Amsoil trans product as well. However, Blauparts won because they supply all necessary gaskets, bolts, oil and pump for the job.

Last edited:

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
For PD engines out of warranty, I like the 5w-40, Amsoil Premium Synthetic Diesel Oil (DEO), even better than the Euro Formulas. It's a thicker, 40wt oil with a more robust additive chemistry (TBN ~ 10.5). Price runs about the same as the 5w-40, VW 505.01 oil.

TS