Glow plug hole ruined

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Once again the "stealership" strikes !
The local owner came to me this moring for a CEL diagnosis.
In the end it was the #4 GP was dead. Started to remove the GP when I soon noticed extream resistence in removing the GP.
It rotated slowly I gave it a shot of PB blaster and let it sit a few minutes.
The engine was still very warm so I thinking that it should come out.
I tried removing the GP but still encountered unusual resistence. At last the GP came free. Upon inspecting the GP I found the threads ruined and alond with that also the aluminum threads from the GP hole.

This GP hole is ruined. The last people to service this engine was Morong VW of Bruinswick ,Me.

Now the head needs replaement because of some careless monkey with a wrench.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Herm: can't you just have the hole welded shut and re-drilled and tapped? I thought I just read a thread here where a guy in CT had that done. Call Frank06?

Tony

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Head

aja8888 said:
Herm: can't you just have the hole welded shut and re-drilled and tapped? I thought I just read a thread here where a guy in CT had that done. Call Frank06?

Tony
Thats exactly what I'll be doing. I keep a spare rebuilt (OEM) A-4 head on-hand for situations such as these. This at least lets me reduce the turn-a-round time by several days.

Herm