Water pump issues, also oil use.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat TDI GLS Wagon, 5 speed manual
Hi all! Haven't been on here in a long time. After doing my 5 speed swap on my 2005 Passat, and getting everything settled in, I have just driven it since. I have put about 30-40k on since then. Been regular and on time on oil changes with Liquimoly, and otherwise have not really had issues. Until recently. The car has started to use a bit of oil. It has always dropped a little from the valve cover, that never seems to stay completely tight.

Also, it started dropping a lot of coolant. That has been diagnosed as water pump failure. So that problem first. I am looking at the ID parts timing kit including the water pump. Seems fine. My normal local guy broke both his legs skiing this year and is unavailable. He found a guy, but they wanted to use a much more expensive NAPA continental kit. I am hoping to convince them to use my less expensive kit and pay them a little extra to make up for their lost profit. Is the ID parts kit decent?

Second, though I can't really afford it right now, doing the cam shaft might be in order. There was some, but not bad, wear on the OEM shaft 27000k ago. and maybe that accounts for some of the oil use. If so, probably I should replace all of it at once. Again, the cheapest option seems to be the OEM kit from ID Parts, though I know that the Colt or Frank's kit would be ideal.

So, thoughts? I guess first order would be to find out what is causing the oil use. Which is about half to 3/4 quart over 1200 miles. Ish. Every couple tanks (600 miles per tank round numbers) I put some in.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
PS, I have long had old 4 banger Alfas. So I learned not to freak out at a little oil use. But maybe that is judged more harshly in the VW world. ;)

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
How did they confirm it was the WP that was leaking? Visual check and it was obviously leaking? For grins and giggles, take a mirror on a stick and a flashlight and look under the tandem pump at the coolant flange. Oil from the valve cover and diesel from the pump rots out its seals and it starts to leak. But, it drips onto the hot transmission and evaporates to leave no evidence on the ground.

IDparts is a reputable source and a friend of the TDI community. Cascadegerman.com is also good and closer to you.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Two visual inspections by two different guys. The oil change guy, then a german auto guy that passed on doing the work, because my car is too old and weird or something.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Did they take the timing belt covers off? If not the only way to confirm the water pump is the issue is visible signs at bottom below the crank pulley.

As OWR said the more common issue is flange on the back. When you did the swap did you replace that? The other common area is the EGR cooler. You can temporarily bypass the cooler, fill up the tank and drive it a little to see if you are losing coolant.

ID and Cascade are fine folks to deal with. I have used them both for these parts. More Cascade than ID just because Aaron gets me parts really fast.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm. Don't know. The german car guy used to work on a lot of these, so I would think he would have looked properly, but as the guy didn't even speak to me, and gave a message through the office person, I was not given details. Just, "Yes, it is the water pump. And No, we won't fix it." Hopefully the other guy my normal mechanic is lining up for me can check it properly as he takes it in. I just don't want to pay the extra for the NAPA parts vs. the ID or Cascade parts.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Is there no local vw guys you could buy beer and food for and get them to help you do a timing belt job? If you have the right tools (i have a cheap crank timing lock tool but it works) it is only a few hour job.

A lap top and vcds is the biggest expense.

Even my locking tool for the crank bolt was ghetto...a 10 ft piece of angle iron with holes dirlled to attach the crank

Point is....its not difficult with an experienced buddy.

And i don't know if Napa is oem or oe but make sure the new water pump has the metal fan.

I'm the first to skimp on oem parts to save a buck but not when it comes to timing belt, water pump and tensioner.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Is there no local vw guys you could buy beer and food for and get them to help you do a timing belt job? If you have the right tools (i have a cheap crank timing lock tool but it works) it is only a few hour job.

A lap top and vcds is the biggest expense.

Even my locking tool for the crank bolt was ghetto...a 10 ft piece of angle iron with holes dirlled to attach the crank

Point is....its not difficult with an experienced buddy.

And i don't know if Napa is oem or oe but make sure the new water pump has the metal fan.

I'm the first to skimp on oem parts to save a buck but not when it comes to timing belt, water pump and tensioner.
Wish I did know a guy. But I am in a pretty small place. There is a guy I knew in Boise who has been a forum member. Lost touch with him. But that is a long ways away, and that would not be worth the labor I will pay to try to make that work. Will work on finding someone for future stuff, as I plan on keeping this car going as long as I can, until the infrastructure for something like a Tesla X or similar from a competitor becomes available, and electronic travel is practical in the middle of Idaho. I checked with ID parts. The water pump in the kit does have the metal impellar.

I do have the vcds already, and a couple laptops. I have run it on my mac, and also have a cheap pc I can use once I get the program installed.

EDIT: But clearly I need the guidance of someone with car work experience. Just putting on the slide in camper tie downs on my truck takes me longer than it should. If I move slowly and take my time, I can get stuff done. But I am just not very quick or efficient with hand tools.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Doing the timing belt is the easy part. Getting the ridiculous front end into and out of the service position is more time consuming.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Service position takes 1/2 hour on these cars - not hard at all.

Whole front end off with the A/C condensor tucked underneath, another 15 minutes.