How to Adjust Rear Camber and Toe VW Mk5 Mk6 Golf Jetta Sportwagen JSW

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I posted a few threads recently, installing new shocks and struts, new rear sway bar, and alignment results from commercial rack. I did not get the answer I wanted on rear alignment adjustment. I am posting to help benefit any what my research found, who cares to search these forums or google. There are two eccentric bolts one on upper trans ling and one on lower transverse link. The eccentrics are at the subframe. The upper will effect mostly camber. The lower toe. It is my opinion that adjusting either will have some effect on the other, camber or toe and vice verse (as well as caster). I think camber has less effect on toe. I can't see the toe not effecting camber. How much I don't know. I have a digital level. I am going to try and measure it before and after toe adjustment. Since I am putting on sway bar I see no reason to take a stab on making a small adjustment. If you have any input let me know.

\

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
I am going to DIY adjust the right rear toe. Since I have good data I know that bringing the front of the rim inboard (from tow out to tow in) to match the left side will be about 0.052" at the rim or 0.078" at tread of tire. I came up with the numbers (about 1/16") based on geometry and trigonometry, sin theta of the angle change (which is small we are going from -.2 deg (toe out) to +.16 (toe in). The geometry is where you measure, half of rim or tire diameter. Because I have a read out I have a place to start. On the other hand I don't trust it. I will measure both sides and compare first. I should come up close...

Last edited:

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
Changing your rear toe will likely affect your steer ahead.....which will make your steering wheel off. It's all a balancing act. According to your read out, it appears it would be crabbing to the right. Is your steering wheel off to the left at low speeds(few mph) then straighten up when cruising? Basically, your steer ahead is adjusted to your rear track being off. I would find a shop willing to do a custom alignment.

Donald

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Changing your rear toe will likely affect your steer ahead.....which will make your steering wheel off. It's all a balancing act. According to your read out, it appears it would be crabbing to the right. Is your steering wheel off to the left at low speeds(few mph) then straighten up when cruising? Basically, your steer ahead is adjusted to your rear track being off. I would find a shop willing to do a custom alignment.

Donald
As of now steering wheel straight, hands off tracks straight track,
hands off braking, perfect....

I agree it is a balance. I agree an alignment shop savvy to VW,
with a skilled knowledgeable careful Tech, who will take the time,
test drive, recheck...would be ideal...

Installing my Whiteline 24mm rear sway bar yesterday, I got a
good look at the adjustment points. I'll check the alignment on
both sides with string method. If I can collaborate rack alignment
readings to string, I'll feel confident I can do DIY tweak on the
right rear, bring right rear front in 0.050". I will undershoot,
may be 0.040". I don't want to go too much toe either.

I don't think a tweak of 0.36 degrees on right rear only will change
the steering wheel angle, but it will save the tire wear. If wheel angle
changes I will deal with it.

Most shops are not going to take the time, tweak and re-tweak..
they will get it close. On the other hand do you need to make it
perfect
? No. When car is under power the readings change when
the bushings are loaded. So all you have is the factory numbers.
I know people have "race" settings. I'm tempted to take out most
toe, closer to zero, all four corners, but car is less "drive-O-matic",
it will hunt more, less hands off driving (stable for daily driving).
I imagine tires will like it. But camber wears tires inside. So a little
positive toe (toe in) balances that out. I am not going to second
guess VW. I'm striving to be in tolerance, left to right about same.

Last edited:

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
Toe is what kills tire wear, not camber.

I lowered on Eibach prokits and had the rear toe set closer to the GTI specs, which call for less rear toe.

You cant do this with a tape measure. But I have been getting good at strapping some cheap lasers to the wheels to get toe measurements. Then you can measure how much the two beams widen or narrows 20 feet away. If you are within a mm at 20ft, then it is as accurate as an alignment shop.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Toe is what kills tire wear, not camber.

I lowered on Eibach prokits and had the rear toe set closer to the GTI specs, which call for less rear toe.

You cant do this with a tape measure. But I have been getting good at strapping some cheap lasers to the wheels to get toe measurements. Then you can measure how much the two beams widen or narrows 20 feet away. If you are within a mm at 20ft, then it is as accurate as an alignment shop.
That is a great idea.... There are all kinds of homemade DIY tools I am dreaming of, to do alignments. I like the laser vs string... have to come up with a mount. I have two ideas... thanks for the tip.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
If you car can be adjusted on all 4 wheels and any alignment shop says they do a 4 wheel alignment that is what you are paying for right!!

They sell a low cost laser toe tool on ebay I have it and it is all-was a hit or miss.
As the inventor of the real first Iphone alignment tool patent pending www.alignitpro.com
I have found 2 tape measures and my fixtures do it right every time and by your self.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
If you car can be adjusted on all 4 wheels and any alignment shop says they do a 4 wheel alignment that is what you are paying for right!!
Ha ha ha... Right on. If I am paying for a four wheel alignment I am going to want them fine tune, setting it dead on middle spec.... However most shops are going to do good enough. Also I really don't trust folks not screwing it. The old ain't broke don't fix it axiom...
CNGVW;5194855They sell a low cost laser toe tool on ebay I have it and it is all-was a hit or miss. As the inventor of the real first Iphone alignment tool patent pending [URL="http://www.alignitpro.com" said:
www.alignitpro.com[/URL]
I have found 2 tape measures and my fixtures do it right every time and by your self.
Cool I watched the video... I think as you indicate, I could do the job as accurately with caulk lines, string, measuring tape and machinist scale.

Last edited: