need advice on size of best size of wheel/tyre for winter

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
after this freak upto -27 and massive snow falls even in the uk for the last two years . im thinking its time to get a set of winter wheels and tyres at the ready. as at present im on 18/40/225 which are ridiculously unforgiving no matter how much air you relaese from the tyre. i love my van tyres in the snow there amazing with 235/65/16 they grip sooo well in the ice with about 10-12 psi drop . the thing is i dont know what the golfs came with stock . im thinking of a small 15" steel wheel with the widest tyre i can have . im asuming the stock is 195/65/15 and im hoping i can get at least a 205/215 tyre to fit with dropping the profile too much . as the bigger profile seamds to give you as much grip when reducing the air pressure. im just wondering what you guys over there use in winter

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
195/65/15. Narrower is better for digging through snow, and use normal tire pressure. Low pressure will eventually reduce contact area as the centre collapses and loses contact with the road.

The van gets better grip because the greater weight force increases contact area pressure. How much does it weigh?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you want the winter tires to drive in the snow then go with the 195s. Narrower is better. And going up a size or two in width probably won't matter in non-snow conditions. Snow tires have poor grip on dry roads regardless.

FWIW, 215/60-15s are the same diameter as stock. You'll need 7" rims, however. Most OE 15" rims are 6.5", IIRC.

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
cheers . strange that you say stock pressures is better . when the van (313 lwb sprinter) has stock presures its grip in the wet/ice and snow its terrible as all rear wheel drives . but when its reduced air pressure it has stunning grip in ice snow and wet. i understand about the thinner tyres in the snow working better in heavy snow drifts . but over here even with the siberian front it was never more than a few inches in the roads . i just found more width helped stabilty imensly at motorway speeds. . i may just stick to a good compound 205/65/15 . ive never needed snow tyres in the van yet but with kids in the car i just wanted much better than the silly 225/40/18 wheels i have