TDI Retrofit

jsinek

TDI
None yet
Any tips on what's involved in converting a gas-engined Golf to TDI diesel?
I'm thinking of a 2002-2003 TDI engine and matching manual gearbox into either an A4 or A3 body.

Would the tachometer have to be changed?
Would the existing gas tank be compatible (after flushing it out)? I realise the filler neck is different.

Would it be a lot easier to start off with an A3 that had an earlier (non-TDI) diesel?

Any advice would be welcome.

J

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Save your time and effort-don't start. Not trying to be negative but there are lots of things you cann't even imagine that are not going to be compatible especially in the electronics dept. Let the experts chime in with details or I think there is a conversion posting area, you may get more help/warnings there.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Go with an a4 body, and transfer everything. I believe it's doable, but don't have specific answers. Do a search - we have a number of members who have done this.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
basically... everything... needs... to... be.... changed...

go with a 99.5, and you won't have immobilizer issues... you will need to change the gague cluster, wiring harness, Computers, fuel lines, tank, etc...

lot's o' work...

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
gottdi said:
Buy a TDI to begin with. It will be cheaper in the end and you'll be happy :D
But think of all the fun he would miss! Tracking down where this darn plug goes.... should be here somewhere.....

With a beautiful gasser body, and reliable drivetrain, I say it might be a way of putting "sweat equity" into a vehicle.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I would love to swap a TDI into a TT...

jsinek

TDI
None yet
Thanks for the inputs. That seems pretty conclusive. A factory-built TDI it is ...

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Well Don't tell Lug_Nut.

He just switched a VR6 to a TDI. In a Wagon.. You just have to be anal retentive big time..