2005.5 jetta, how to replace lowbeam headlight

sweatmachine

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
my driver's side lowbeam is out. I did a search and couldn't find anything. How do I replace the low beam bulb, and what bulb do I need?

thanks!

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
fun place to work... right infront of the battery. I'm not sure with the 2004+ models, but in the 2003 theres a little black plactic cover overtop of the lights. So pop your hood, and right where your arrow's is pointing you should see a plastic with 2 phillips screws. Take that off. Underneeth you should be able to see where the wire goes and see how its put together. I know for my low/highbeam there is 2 metal almost latch type things which u move to either side then the housing comes off. Then the rest is pretty straight forward. But as I said, I don't know about the 2005's. My 2003 was a real pain to work on by the battery. When you look at it I'm sure it will be pretty self explanitory. Make sure you don't touch the new bulb with your bare hands when replacing it.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Battery is in a different place on the Mk5's and won't be a problem, but the air filter housing might be. I don't recall if there is enough room to get fingers between the air filter housing and the headlight. If you have to take the airbox off, it's no big deal.

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
Auto parts stores have it in a book. If not go to the front desk and ask. Unless you go to a vdub dealer and get the exact same replacement every brand has a different code but they usually have their own book out where you can look up the make/model and it will tell you the code for the stock bulb or the high performance if you feel like changing both.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
headlight

Low beam H7 55 watt halogen

Remove outboard headlight assembly cover by twisting counterclockwise
twist low beam socket counterclockwise and remove
pull low beam builb out of socket
insert new bulb into socket so that tab fits into notch

Do not touch bulb with fingers-I always wipe bulb with alcohol (rubbing-not beer) :p before installing it.

vanhoand

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
bumping this back to the top...

my 2005.5 had the driver's side low-beam light go out. a while back my wife said there was a message in the cluster but wasn't exactly all that descriptive in her description of it. anyway, i'm guessing it was for the light.

i went out at got a new one, installed it and still nothing. has anyone had problems with this? is it a connection issue at the bulb holder or something else?

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
[...] a while back my wife said there was a message in the cluster but wasn't exactly all that descriptive in her description of it.
*ding!* "Front left dipped beam defective!"

Yeah, I know... :rolleyes:

i went out at got a new one, installed it and still nothing. has anyone had problems with this? is it a connection issue at the bulb holder or something else?
So it still displays "Front left dipped beam defective!" when you turn the key on after "Door Open" and any other messages (I think it does bulb out messages last)? Besides contacts (which I would doubt), make sure your new bulb didn't burn out immediately after you installed it.

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
I will bump this back up to add that my own drivers bulb went out the other day and I installed a new one I keep in the trunk (I was a boy scout, eagle scout to be exact). The new light worked for three days and then went out again. I took it out and reinstalled it to find it working again.

So I have to eat my words. It could be the contacts.

vanhoand

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Sorry, i forgot to subscribe to the thread so I didn't get your responses till now. Anyway, yes, it sounds like the same issue. I was very careful not to touch the bulb when I put it in so I can't immagine it burnt right out again (better not have! those things are pricey!). My next step will be to look at the contact points.

Hopefully I don't have to take too much of the car apart to get a good look at it...