Starts but won't stay running unless EGR is closed

trevormarsh

TDI
2005 TDI Jetta
New here. 2005.5 1.9 BRM TDI and the car will start and run for 3 seconds then shut off. A garage where I broke down checked the exhaust for obstructions. None. MAF was checked & functioning as it should. Fuel is present. VAG did not show any problems. They found the only way to get the car running was to close the EGR valve and disconnect EGR Electronically. With it closed the car starts and runs fine. Got the car home and cleaned intake including the EGR. Put it back together and the same problem. Starts and runs for seconds. Pull EGR, close valve and unplug and it runs fine. Is EGR Normally open on start? I checked Shutter valve and it is open on start and closes to shut down. The valve does not move manually at all.
Monday I will replace the fuel filter and see what happens.
Please any suggestions.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Bad N18?

I wouldn't mess with the filter at this point. Just adds another variable into the troubleshooting you don't need.

Kalter|Tod

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta (BRM)
check the connection on the egr and make sure that it is not dirty. if that checks out look at the harness leading to the egr. if the wires are not cracked, chaffed, or broken then I would replace the egr valve. I would not think that this has anything to do with the fuel filter.

I would almost bet that the gears in the egr a stripped out. this is a common problem with these

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
N18 is a vacuum solenoid that controls the EGR on AHU's and ALH's. I take it the PD's are totally electric?