2006 tdi tachometer not working wont crank

justinj229

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
so i got my car delivered from the north to ga today. The car according to the driver and dealer cranked fine and was able to be put in the truck to deliver. however, I just received it and it would not crank up so I figured it was on E and didn't have any diesel. So we got some diesel and it cranked up for a little bit and then died. The tachometer is worked one time but not the other and the car won't consistently stay on? Could something during transport have gotten jarred loose or what?

justinj229

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
more info on the issue...

Hello everyone, couple of weeks ago I purchased a 06 tdi on eBay from a seller in Philly, clean car fax, beautiful paint, interior is near perfect. However it does have 190k. Couldn't find service records after the dealer quit servicing the car at 85k. Fella I bought it from said no warning lights on, car runs and drives like a car with 50k. Now mind you, this is my 4th tdi, so not skeered bout the miles at all, obviously I would like to know those service records, just can't seem to find em.....thought I would pull the valve cover and inspect the cam and tappits for wear, already had to replace the cam on my 05.5 at 150k....I have a scanner from rosstech, just can't locate it at this minute, and it's flooding here today.....

But to my problem, driver calls me and says he "thinks" the car is out of fuel, can't hardly get it off the truck, so when I get there, I pump a couple of gallons of diesel into the car, according to the gauge it didn't look like it was out. So the guy has a hard time cranking it up to move it out of the way, I notice that the tach is not working.....hmmmm. So he gets it fired up and pulls it out of the way and it promptly shuts off, cranks it back up, backs it into a parking place. After I pay them, I go back to the car, here is what I find: car does not want to crank, one time I did get it to crank and notice the tach was working, strange. It cut off Nd I could not crank it again and notice the tach did nothing while cranking. Got it to fire off and the tach doesn't work again, only runs for a second and I have a warning in the center info center that says : loss of oil pressure, shut off engine, see dealer.....now mind you, it runs ragged when it is running, not bad like a camshaft failure but not real smooth, only runs for a few seconds....

Called the dealer, he says they had no problems at all loading, been sitting for two weeks and fired right up.....

Not real sure where to start as I don't have my scanner right now, thought I would crawl under the car tomorrow and see if anything obvious was damaged during transport....another thing is the car traveled in pouring rain all day, not sure if that could be it......guy that sold it to me seems straight up, lots of transactions all 100%.

Any help would be much appreciated......thanks

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
sounds like low battery voltage - did the transporter leave the lights on or something? That'll cause the cluster to go wacky

justinj229

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
not sure, it was literally flooding here today when he got to the car to destination, will check all that in the morning when I can the weather clears up. Thanks and I'll let you know