Did I just get reamed with a wheel bearing?

David_Inman

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Rear wheel bearing needed to be replaced on my 2011 Golf, $367 installed $258 for ONE rear wheel bearing. This is not something that I would ever have done myself, so there is always going to be some labor and a little mark-up on the part, but I feel like I was royally screwed. Was I?

David_Inman

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
How much is a bit? $50? $100? $200?

They did have wifi and free coffee. I'm really just trying to make myself feel better, but do want an honest answer of what this should have cost me. Thanks!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
You didn't go to the dealer, did you? If you pay to have something done, then you are at their mercy. $367 seems high, but not a ream job necessarily.

Last edited:

Elick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
We'll you can get the part for less than 100 bucks. So you be the judge.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I can't speak to the cost of a bearing for your car but my mkIV's are about $50 each. Perhaps it's time to think about learning to DIY. That amount does seem a little excessive. However those guys need to make a living to, I know as someone who is self employed, most people think you should work for free.

Elick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
^^^ lol. Yeah work for free is right.
Your a lot better off trying to do it yourself IMHO.
Most things these guys do are not that hard and can save you a lot
Of money. Just takes more time for you to do it than them.
But there's so much info online you can watch a YouTube video and DIY for less most of the
Time. So don't feel bad. Just DO it your self next time it's much more satisfying any way.

David_Inman

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I bought the car used from a Subaru dealer, it has a Powertrain warranty with them and I thought that I had read that this would have been warrantied. Of course they don't tell me that its not until the car is on the lift with the tire off. I know that I could have refused service but this bearing has been bad for awhile and I really wanted to get it done.
In order to keep this warranty, I have to have my oil changed there and its an hour from my house. I didn't pay for the warranty and feel like its just not worth it to drive an hour for an oil change and repairs that aren't going to be covered. The local guy in town probably would've done it for a lot less.

Oh well, live and learn.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Irstvwparts list the rear bearings at List $283 or your price of $204 plus shipping. Given that, I would say the OP actually got a slight deal.

Probably a VG price for non Chinesium OEM parts.

David_Inman

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Labor was $110 (with an $11 discount) and the part was $257 (with a $25 discount). Not sure what the discount thing was about.

Bottom line is that the car now drives as it was designed and I'm happy about that. And I'm fortunate enough that I can pull an extra shift at work to pay for it.

Elick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
Well why you asking if you got shafted?
It's only money. Just give it to them!

curtludwig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2005 Golf
Online prices seem to suggest around $100, figure a parts store is going to be more like $150 so I'm surprised to suggest that the markup wasn't too bad.

I like to try to plan for these things and order the parts in advance. Especially something like wheel bearings that will need occasional replacement. Which reminds me...

David_Inman

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Well why you asking if you got shafted?
It's only money. Just give it to them!
I'm fortunate, but not THAT fortunate! I guess it begs the next question, should wheel bearings be going bad on a three year old car with about 40k miles on it?

And I didn't mention that its got low profile tires, I didn't realize when I bought it what a pain in the butt those were going to be in a Maine winter. Could all that snow, ice, salt, sand and dirt have caused this?

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I can't speak to the cost of a bearing for your car but my mkIV's are about $50 each. Perhaps it's time to think about learning to DIY. That amount does seem a little excessive. However those guys need to make a living to, I know as someone who is self employed, most people think you should work for free.
MK4 GOOD front bearings are $80. Cheap ones are $50.

To the O.P. The deal is fair for a dealer or any shop Aftermarket is about $100 for the part. it's 1.5hrs. so $250 or so at an indy. Dealer parts is $230 plus labor so you got a strait deal. I love cheap people complaining you got screwed. lol. They are the first ones to want cheap parts and then complain when they fail early. Not implying you.

Elick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
Another mainiac. I grew up in Fort Fairfield. Way up north.
Should have dickered with him. Lol.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The genuine rear wheel bearing kit, part number 1K0-598-611 list price is about $230.

The labor to install it, book time, is .9 hr (9 tenths).

So, $230(ish), plus sales tax on that price, plus 90% of whatever the shop's hourly rate is, is what you should pay. Volkswagen dealers around here are about $130/hr.

Yes, you can get aftermarket parts for less, and they are often also of [far] less quality as well. I think you got what you paid for, and you paid a fair price.

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
I'm fortunate, but not THAT fortunate! I guess it begs the next question, should wheel bearings be going bad on a three year old car with about 40k miles on it?...
The price sounds about right at a dealer. You could of asked for a discount since the car is "just" over warranty (3yrs /36k miles, IIRC). But maybe that's what the discounts you mention are for??

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Online prices seem to suggest around $100, figure a parts store is going to be more like $150 so I'm surprised to suggest that the markup wasn't too bad.

I like to try to plan for these things and order the parts in advance. Especially something like wheel bearings that will need occasional replacement. Which reminds me...
That would be correct for Chinesium garbage. I guess it is a good idea to keep extras on hand when your replacements are garbage.........

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
You should check out some of the VW guys a little bit south of Belfast. They would probably be the best bet for future repairs. I think the guy further south toward lincolnville might know TDIs. Not 100% though.

Also get the filter mods for your HPFP now lather then later.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
You should check out some of the VW guys a little bit south of Belfast. They would probably be the best bet for future repairs.
You're talking about Jim's VW, owned and operated by Jim Colcord. He's been in business for many years since he split from the Beetle Shop in Belfast. I had him do a TDI timing belt many years ago and back then he didn't even own a Vag-Com or any way to check the TDI's timing, saying you just 'do it by ear' (the old common TD way). Not sure if that's changed, just something to keep in mind.

You can drive another hour and take it to Herm in Richmond, the only Guru in the state. Or if you're north of Belfast, I'd highly recommend K&B Auto in Ellsworth, they are VERY familiar with all aspects of the TDI's, the Vag-Com, and can do literally anything on the car, and they're as honest as they come. It's where I go when I need something done I cannot do myself (which is saying something). They even work on everything from WVO TDI's to exotic cars people keep on MDI and can do everything from minute computer adjustments to full blown custom parts. Can't say enough good about them, I've been a customer for over 15 years and I drive over 75 miles each way. It's one of those shops that's not just good, they're priceless.

Last edited:

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
I'm just talking about basic work. Although your guy sounds better.

Just giving ideas, as I don't have anyone working on my vehicles, thus not much experience with shops.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Jim is not bad, but to be honest I haven't been back, K&B handles all my stuff now. If you do go see them, tell them I sent you (Mark from Nobleboro).

They saved my dad so much money on his Toyota 4 Runner he took the whole shop out to lunch, the Toyota dealership was trying charge him over $800 for a job K&B did for $35 (simple u-joint install). Now my older brother goes to them as well and they made him a custom larger exhaust for his B4. They're the only shop I've seen that aligns the car and takes the driver in the seat into account.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
If you can get OEM for your quoted price point I stand corrected. The IDParts cheap-O's are not OEM. the IDParts OEM bearings sell for $218.

The reference to the OEM P/N for the non OEM parts only means that the part, in theory is the same as the OEM part. IDParts will sell you garbage, if that's what you want to buy.

The RockAuto with out a doubt are not OEM quality. IDKFS about Timken or Moog, but I think we lost them to China a while ago. Pretty sad, actually.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Moog is notorious now for Chinesium stuff, yes. They have some real crap out there. Some, not so much. It really just depends, since Moog doesn't actually make much of the stuff they have in a catalog.

They used to have really good stuff, when they made all their own stuff OR if they didn't make it, just reboxed OEM stuff. But now that China is in full take over as much manufacturing as possible mode, Moog like many others has sold out.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Two years ago I attended a Timkin seminar on their bearings (work related, industrial application) and asked their origin since so many have moved to China. He said they have as well, but the bearings are exactly the same as previous, using the same standards and metallurgy. He said there was zero difference between one of their CRAP bearings (my term) and a non-CRAP one, and showed slides from an electron microscope of both.

For what it's worth anyway.

oilhammer

TDI
There is some truth to that, for sure. The problem comes when you cannot determine if the part in question was actually made by the company on the box, or that said company merely provided the label on the box.

Many, probably most, of the major auto part manufacturers DO indeed have a plant in China. And, they probably do exercise the best QC they can at those plants, same as they would anywhere else. But if the want an aftermarket "full coverage" option for all kinds of things, then they often do the rebox route. And then, that QC can become suspect. I see that with a LOT of things, with a lot of well known brands.

I was made aware of it first many years ago with Bosch, when I worked at a local wholesaler. We purchased items directly from Bosch, we were this region's distributor. Bosch wanted to offer full coverage of ignition, fuel, filters, rotating electric, etc. on everything. Problem is, Bosch didn't make everything. So, a Bosch distributor cap, for instance, was OEM on a Volkswagen. And it was EXACTLY the same as the car left the factory with. But on a Toyota, it was crap. Denso made theirs, and Bosch couldn't/wouldn't rebox one of those, so they found some garbage from (at the time) Mexico. It was HORRIBLE quality. The fit was bad, the performance was marginal, if they even worked at all. Yet both came in the familiar yellow Bosch box. Same for filters. Bosch contracted out to Purolator or Champion Labs for much of the stuff they didn't make, which outside of a few gasoline and diesel filters for European brands, was nothing.

Last edited:

curtludwig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2005 Golf
If you can get OEM for your quoted price point I stand corrected. The IDParts cheap-O's are not OEM. the IDParts OEM bearings sell for $218.

The reference to the OEM P/N for the non OEM parts only means that the part, in theory is the same as the OEM part. IDParts will sell you garbage, if that's what you want to buy.

The RockAuto with out a doubt are not OEM quality. IDKFS about Timken or Moog, but I think we lost them to China a while ago. Pretty sad, actually.:rolleyes:
*sigh* Go to idparts.com, select VW 2011 Golf, find "hubs & bearings" on the left. Theres only 1 rear wheel bearing listed, it says "Manufacturer: OEM VW
OEM Number: 1K0598611 $99.95"

If you want to argue with me at least go look at what I reference.