'86 Jetta lost 5th gear

JohnJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat 2005.5 jetta
Lost 5th gear while driving, like it was suddenly in neutral. Went under hood, removed linkage and shifted manually; grinding noise when clutch engaged, like they weren't exactly meshing.? Clutch feels normal. Repair (if needed) can be done w/o removing tranny (?Oilhammer?) Comments.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The 020's 5th can be swapped with the gearbox in the car on the A2, but it is a pain. I'd just take the box out myself. It isn't as easy as on the 02A/J because of the way the mounting brackets and clearance issues are.

I may have a good used trans if you need one, from a non-turbo '86 Golf, with the giant square switch.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
On an 020 transmission 5th is the first gear to overheat and go boom when the transmission is low on oil... which could easily be the case on an 1986 car, particularly if it's never been checked.

I'm with Oilhammer... yes you can mess with 5th gear with the tranny in the car but it's so much easier on the garage floor... and the tranny should probably be inspected for other damage as well.

Or, swap in another one. :):)

JohnJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat 2005.5 jetta
'86 Jetta tranny

The 020's 5th can be swapped with the gearbox in the car on the A2, but it is a pain. I'd just take the box out myself. It isn't as easy as on the 02A/J because of the way the mounting brackets and clearance issues are.

I may have a good used trans if you need one, from a non-turbo '86 Golf, with the giant square switch.
Car is a turbo diesel. Tranny from the non-turbo OK?? Price, if compatible?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You'll want the turbo trans, and I have one of those, too, but it has the little switch. I won't ship it, you'd have to come get it. $100 if you want it.