Car won't start troubleshooting

eatsleepvw

TDI
golf tdi
03 golf tdi

hi i have a 03 golf tdi with 387000 kms and it starts and idols ruff lots of white blue smoke and it will only rev up to 2000 rpms but if i hold the throtle for a minute it will let lose and rev up the rest of the way then the smokeing clears up and i can drive it normally after that untill the next cold start. new glow plugs and fuel filter egr looks ok from the hose side . its almost like a valve opens or something any idea on whats up

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
hi i have a 03 golf tdi with 387000 kms and it starts and idols ruff lots of white blue smoke and it will only rev up to 2000 rpms but if i hold the throtle for a minute it will let lose and rev up the rest of the way then the smokeing clears up and i can drive it normally after that untill the next cold start. new glow plugs and fuel filter egr looks ok from the hose side . its almost like a valve opens or something any idea on whats up
If it starts, you have the wrong thread. Try starting a new thread so it will get more views.

sheltons1990

TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
I'm a newbie and have been working on my 2000 Beetle for over a week. For starters, on cold mornings it would be very hard to start, so we replaced the glow plugs, then it wouldn't start at all so we think maybe we should replace the fuel sending unit, still won't start. Removed the dash cover to find a critter has made a home with my ECM, no obvious bite marks or chewed places in the wires. So we've come down to no power going to my fuel sending unit, anyone have a diagram so we can chase it down? Thank you all so much for the info on this site, I've been looking through the threads to find out if a situation matched mine, but the critter puts a kink in problems.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
There is no pump in the tank on your car so you can stop chasing that dead end.

Does the glow plug light come on during the bulb check?

Is there now, or has there been fuel leaking at the injection pump?

What have you checked?

sheltons1990

TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
Shouldn't the plug to the fuel sending unit have power to it? Yes, the glow plug light comes on. No, there hasn't been fuel leaking. We've checked grounds, even changed relay 109. I have power to the ECM, glow plug relay, the injector pump is clicking, checked more than I can remember right now. The motor will turn over, it doesn't start. I have no codes.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
The fuel sending unit just tells the computer how much fuel is in it. Both wires go to the instrument panel and is on the same power circuit as the coolant temp sensor and the Coolant level sensor. But I just don't see how this can cause a no-start.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
If you loosen a fuel line at the injector one half turn and crank the engine, do you get fuel spurting to the hood?

sheltons1990

TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
ASV is good, getting fuel. We're getting fire to the fuel shut off wire for about five seconds, should that fire be continuous or is that what it's suppose to do?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Power will shut off at the shut-off solenoid after about five seconds.

There is alot more in that post than just the ASV. You will need to dig in and do the troubleshooting because we can sit here and toss out one idea at a time and kill way too much time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spock-Mckoy

TDI
2002 Golf GL
Whitedog, regarding #9, bleeding the fuel system. In the bitter cold, my 2002 golf wouldn't start. I did all the glo plug trouble shooting. I then noted no airbubbles/fuel in the supply line to my fuel pump. I changed my fuel filter today and primed it via an electric vac pump/mason jar setup I have vs mighty vac. All good. I removed the fuel line at the pump and sucked fuel to it per your instructions, all good, but fuel immediately drained back into the fuel filter. I proceeded to suck fuel through the fuel pump via your instructions and I get nothing out of it. I removed the hose and placed my vac pump hose on the metal hose coming out of the fuel pump and I get nothing at all. I was watching my clear line on my fuel filter and nothing is coming out of my filter & through it into my pump. Any suggestions what I should do next? thx. I also lifted the rear seat and removed the metal lid over the fuel tank, I hear nothing buzzing. I don't know if fuel pump in tank cycles on each time you turn on/off/on key, but not 'start' engine.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Is the filter still full of fuel? When you had the pump full of fuel the first time, did the fuel drain back while the vacuum was still attached?

I seem to recall a check valve someplace in the suction line. I'm not sure though. I have never had to mess with that.

Robban51

TDI
Skoda Octavia 2,0TDI DSG DPF
Hi there, BIG PROBLEMS !
I have a Skoda -08 with "BMM" 2,0 TDi and it will not start again after Timing belt change y-day.
Have had a friend over with comp-power and detected hall-sensor fail at Cam-schaft.

Do anyone have a pic with positions where the crankshaft AND camshaft should be ?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Did it run before the timing belt change? If it did, I would take a close look at the timing belt installation and make sure everything is lined up correctly.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
That sounds like a hard start situation rather than a no start. A new thread in the A4 section will get you more help.

JMB

TDI
2002 Golf 1.9 TDI 299k (almost retired), 2006 Jetta 1.9 (MK5?)179K
ASV...I can think of a few words to fit...

I had the same problem with my 2000 Golf 1.9 TDI described in TD 101 Car won't start troubleshoot, line 7. Started, ran for seconds, and died. Immobilizer fixes did not change symptoms. Gleaned tons of information from this website and still got no joy. Got diagnosed at a dealer for too much money. Turns out that the anti shudder valve (ASV) is actuated by another valve that is located directly underneath it that is listed as N239 and called by the dealer an intake flap change over valve, and by this web site as an intake manifold change-over control valve (DTC 19561). It is an electrically operated shuttle valve that provides vacuum to the ASV upon shutdown to pull the ASV valve shut and deprive the engine of oxygen for an immediate shutoff.
When it malfunctions and allows vacuum to flow, the engine will start and run for a short period until enough vacuum is generated to actuate the ASV, thus producing the same symptom as an immobilizer problem.
Pulling the vacuum line off the ASV will tell you if that is the problem. If it is, the car will run fine until you can replace the valve. Be sure to plug the unconnected vacuum line.
First time repying from a "newbie" to this forum and hope I am doing this correctly.
1) I was driving my 2002 Golf 1.9 TDI and got a check engine light to come on intermittently.
2) I noticed an occasional hesitation (burp) while highway driving on cruise.
2) Car became harder to start - 20-30 second cranking time.
3) Drove the car home (40 km's) and parked it overnight.
3) Next morning, no start, fires but won't run on several attempts, and white smoke from exhaust and strong smell of diesel from the smoke.
4) Run to these forums and start with the "fuel pickup" issue for "Canadian" fuel pickup - I chose to drill out the intake side as suggested. Next went to the fuel filter and changed it. Next was bleeding the injectors, as suggested. Same result - with fully charged Battery, turns over fine, fires for a second or two and dies - still lots of white diesel smelling smoke from exhaust.
5) Go to possible "immobilizer" issue and try those suggestions - same old, same old!
6) Finally landed on the ASV issue - I used a pair of slip lock pliers ziptied closed on the ASV to keep it in place - BINGO! - started up like always!
7) I'll be trying the suggestions of cutting the vacuum line to the ASV and see if that works, and if so, will be replacing (or testing) the "intake manifold change-over control valve (DTC 19561)"
***Question - can anyone tell me? would I be better to:
a) cut and plug the ASV vacuum hose
or
b) disconnect the electrical connection to the valve that controls it until I can remove and test it.
Obviously, I don't wanna damage the poor girl...

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Answer: Either one. If you just unplug the wiring, it's easier to put it back. Of course, if you cut and plug the hose, all you have to do is replace the hose, so to say that it's easier doesn't mean that it's hard to put back if you cut the hose, just that it's easier.

JMB

TDI
2002 Golf 1.9 TDI 299k (almost retired), 2006 Jetta 1.9 (MK5?)179K
Thanks for that whitedog - and just to confirm, no damage is done by driving the car with the ASV not operating?

DOH BOY

TDI
99 beetle tdi
Hey guys, i was driving along at 65 mph the other night and suddenly heard a noise from the engine( not a loud or disturbing one) and the engine shut off on me and would not start.. My mechanic says its engine failure but has not yet opened it up to see what exactly failed.. what might cause this..anybody?!

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I assume you didn't look under the hood?

TB, as WD suggests, failed relay 109, for me the winner was a lifter snapping off, causing the cam to stop, snapping the tb. Amazingly little noise from this happening.

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Car Won't Stay Running After car Wash

My Son ran the 2003 Jetta Diesel thru the car wash and now it does not want to stay running after it starts. Any ideas? I have done this before and the car used to bog, so I stopped tasking it into car washes. He decided it was easier. Anyway it usually would dry out over night, whatever got wet, and would start and run fine. Not this time. any help would be great. Thnx!

Randy

Magni3d

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle 1.9L
My Son ran the 2003 Jetta Diesel thru the car wash and now it does not want to stay running after it starts. Any ideas? I have done this before and the car used to bog, so I stopped tasking it into car washes. He decided it was easier. Anyway it usually would dry out over night, whatever got wet, and would start and run fine. Not this time. any help would be great. Thnx!

Randy
I would check the airbox, filter, maf, maf harness plug.

open the hood and look where water could cause problems, wiring harness plugs should be able to keep out water so especially look for faulty seals on them.

good luck, and let us know how it goes

stoller54

TDI
1981 vw rabbit pickup
I have a 1981 Vw Rabbit pickup. It was originally a gas, but the guy that had it before me started to change it over to a diesel. He claimed that the engine ran good before putting it into this truck. I can get it to turn over but not start. I am getting fuel to the injectors. I am kind of lost on what to check or look for. Anyone have any ideas on what to look for to get it to run? I got it to run for about 30 seconds once but nothing since then. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!