Upgrade Intake

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG Highline Red w/tan
I just removed my snow screen, and noticed a big difference in engine response from 2500 up. I have not checked the fuel economy yet. I was wondering if any body replaced all the plastic factory intake tubes with nice tubing, and saw any improvement. I read Seatman was doing this, but never saw that he finished, and had any results. My engine is stock right now, just thinking about better efficiency. Any suggestions please. Stephen

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Ah the ol' butt dyno report.

Your snow screen was probably clogged if you noticed any difference. The air intake system is the same across all the A4 cars. Meaning that it was used in the 200HP+ VR6.

Look elsewhere for upgrades.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
...Look elsewhere for upgrades.
+1. As long as the filter is not clogged, you will get more airflow out of the standard intake than the engine will ever need to use.

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG Highline Red w/tan
You are Right

Yes the snow screen was 75% plugged with dirt, bugs, and bunny fluff. Was hoping Seatman had some news to report on his intake system. Thank you for the information. Best regards Stephen

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Ah the ol' butt dyno report.

Your snow screen was probably clogged if you noticed any difference. The air intake system is the same across all the A4 cars. Meaning that it was used in the 200HP+ VR6.

Look elsewhere for upgrades.

Not quite, the VR6 and R32 had a different snorkel and airbox setup.

That being said there is little gain on a stock ALH to upgrade this. You are better off upgrading the turbo inlet pipe if anything.

Also, make sure your intake manifold and EGR housing are clean. If the snow screen is dirty these have probably never been cleaned.

There aren't a lot of easy upgrades to increase fuel efficiency (if the car is in good running order)