"Cold-air intakes" and "high-flow air filter" FAQ

GTD170

Veteran Member
TDI
VW GOLF GTD MK6 CR170
still does not change how your ignorance to the term OEM or the inability to try and learn on your own, lead you here to make duplicate posts about stuff in a thread that literally gave you the answer on the 1st page of this sticky.
It's been nearly 5 month in the testing and my MAF developed DRY MOUTH

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
no... what is " DRY MOUTH " and what does it have to do with a maf or is it from my tail pipe comment?

RIGHT OVER MY HEAD with this one...
then again... if you have to explain the joke?

also i think that banana fellow rage quit.

BRMman

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
I read this entire thread from start to finish! There is a lot of good information here, and unfortunately, a lot of emotion as well. One point I thought could take some clarification is that companies who manufacture such intake systems are not necessarily just trying to rip people off. Enough is said on the fact that they don't help our German engineered TDI's, but the fact remains that not all vehicles have such good intake systems on them. Another point is that some engines, when the exhaust system has been cleared of the factory restriction, the factory air box system is not capable of meeting the demand. These engines will definitely benefit from a filter that has more surface area, and perhaps a more streamlined design.

Great reading! 👍

clannnabanna

TDI
Golf 1.9tdi (mark 5)
Hi, is the standard airbox inlet & panel filter the best i can do or is it very restrictive?
I own a 2012 Seat Leon mk2 with 243bhp (same engine as the 170hp mk6 Golf).
I was told by Darkside developments that unless im pushing 280hp+ then the standard set up with OEM panel filter is best but then they posted a video showing a Seat Ibiza CR140 that got an extra 6bhp by altering the air intake & changing to a cone filter...
Thanks

clannnabanna

TDI
Golf 1.9tdi (mark 5)
Time to change my panel air filer on my 243bhp Seat Leon Supercopa tdi.
My last one was a Mahle (cheap enough), any suggestions for best performance / maximum air flow?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Time to change my panel air filer on my 243bhp Seat Leon Supercopa tdi.
My last one was a Mahle (cheap enough), any suggestions for best performance / maximum air flow?
Just replace it with a Mahle one.

Escape.idiocracy

TDI
CR 2.0

I found this guys video to be really helpful… kind of changes the perspective for “gains”….

Just a different and in my opinion well explained show of what is happening for this specific intake on this specific car.

Variables being the filter, or the intake…. Would need to dissect further to really separate/explain.