Engine knock after oil and fuel filter change

drakeMK5

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Hello all,
I haven't been on in forever as I sold my other TDI but recently bought a 2000 jetta with the alh engine, 5 speed. Car has 357000km on it and just had the timing belt done. Car purred like a kitten before doing a oil and fuel filter change but now it seems to have a slight knock. I used a oem fuel filter, castrol 5w40, and a fram filter (ya i know i cheaped out) and I also filled the tank and dumped a bottle of kleen flo TKO diesel fuel system cleaner into it. The knock was pretty bad at first for about a minute but after driving the car it seemed to quite down a lot. I posted a video on youtube to hopefully help in some way, I do not have vag-com but can get access to a scanner monday although no engine lights are on. hoping I'm not crazy and possibly dropped a tool in the engine bay then it rattled out and now I'm just thinking it still has a knock hahaha :D let me know what you think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv7-gLB1_40

williambill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
It could be that when you last turned the car off to do the oil change, the cam stopped in the the right place to collapse one of your lifters. Could take a little time for the lifter to completely reprime. I had a project ALH Jetta a while back with 200k miles that purred like a kitten. After letting it set for about 3 weeks and then doing a timing belt without being cranked in between, it had a very noticeable tick/ knock. I freaked out. Rechecked time and everything was spot on. Restarted it and tapping diminishesd quickly but didn't go away till I ran it a few miles. Being that your noise diminished quickly, I'd say that may be what it is. Just monitor and if it goes away soon, it's probably a lifter, IMHO. Hope this helps.

Watched your video after posting the above. Sounds like lifter noise to me. Once again, just my opinion.

Last edited:

drakeMK5

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Watched your video after posting the above. Sounds like lifter noise to me. Once again, just my opinion.
Lifter noise is what I'm thinking too but I started it up after the initial drain and fill and I didn't notice the noise but then after getting it topped up to the perfect level and re starting the noise began

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
It could also be an injector knocking....the fuel additive/cleaner may have dislodged some dirt or varnish.
You can crack the 17mm fuel line nut on one injector at a time while its idling to see which injector stops knocking as a diagnosis.

benshaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta bew
sounds tappy but check the inlet airbox snorkel, it may need some cable ties

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Engine cover on, or off? Are you used to the engine cover being on if it's off?
The only function I know for the cover other than looks is quieting the engine noise down.

drakeMK5

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
It could also be an injector knocking....the fuel additive/cleaner may have dislodged some dirt or varnish.
You can crack the 17mm fuel line nut on one injector at a time while its idling to see which injector stops knocking as a diagnosis.
This was the theory I have been leaning towards other then me possibly dropping a tool in my engine bay that already rattled its way out. The noise seems to be almost non existent now and I'm about 1/4 thru the tank. And hey I'm actually out in peterborough I have done lots of work in lakefield tho! I need to update my info :p

drakeMK5

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
I did take and leave the engine cover off during the oil change as iI just find them to be annoying but maybe I will toss it back on and see what difference it makes.
Engine cover on, or off? Are you used to the engine cover being on if it's off?
The only function I know for the cover other than looks is quieting the engine noise down.

Also to mention is there is aluminum tape patching over a hole in what looks to be some sort of oil line going to the turbo. you TDI heads can probably tell what the part is just by looking at the video its right attached to the top of the valve cover