When is a diesel not a diesel?

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
500 bar fuel pressures rather than 1800-200 bar. (Much cheaper fuel pumps.) Cheap solenoid injectors instead of expensive piezo injectors. Up to 40% of the intake charge is recirculated exhaust, aiding in heating the intake air. (And very low NOx.) Doesn't use glow plugs. Will electrically heat the intake air for cold starts.

But it's a diesel. By definition.

-mickey

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
It's interesting but I wonder if we just add some 2 stroke to gasoline and change the timing on our TDI's if we couldn't do the same thing?

Any takers?

Andrew

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
They'll never call it a diesel- wouldn't want folks filling up with diesel fuel. I think Mazda is also working on homogenous charge compression ignition gasoline engines. May be nearly to market by now.

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
I'm sure they won't call it that, but that's what it'll be.

The Hyundai concept isn't HCCI. The article points out the differences. Hyundai seems to be concentrating on "cheap" and "uses existing tech."

It's a fun time to be a gearhead, though. If you like gadgetry.

-mickey

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm sure they won't call it that, but that's what it'll be.

The Hyundai concept isn't HCCI. The article points out the differences. Hyundai seems to be concentrating on "cheap" and "uses existing tech."

It's a fun time to be a gearhead, though. If you like gadgetry.

-mickey
Just read the article- You're right, it's basically a diesel that burns gasoline. Seems promising.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yup, sounds interesting. I didn't realize the design had fully variable valve timing. I don't expect to see one on the showroom floor anytime soon.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
3 year old posts...not exactly new stuff.
Interesting yes....but many auto sites have covered it several times.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
More like 3 day old posts. Maybe the original article Mickey cited was a bit dated, but this is still new tech, yet to be implemented.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
No, the fact that it burns Diesel makes it a Diesel. I guess that if Rudolf Diesel's idea of his compression ignition engine burning peanut oil had caught on, then they would be be called "peanut oil" engines.

A Diesel is not necasarily a compression ignition engine although probably 100% of all Diesel engines are. Gasoline? A CI gas engine is a gasoline engine without spark plugs and not incorrectly named as a "Diesel" engine.

Cool bit of technology though.............

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Rudolph Diesel created a compression ignition engine, not diesel fuel. The engine is named after him, not the fuel.

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
Concur, it is NOT a diesel because of the fuel. Rudolf Diesel invented an engine... not a fuel... and the original fuel for the engine was vegetable oil, not petrol-diesel.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Diesel engine means compression ignition.

Diesel fuel was tailored to work best in that type of engine.

This new combustion system wants different fuel characteristics (and they're designing it to run on gasoline in order to be compatible with existing fuel delivery systems) but it is still a compression ignition i.e. diesel engine.

Internal combustion engines are moving towards a combination of traditional spark ignition engines and diesel engines and which function a little like both. Direct injection and turbocharging are becoming commonplace.

Don't be surprised if production versions of these gasoline-fueled diesel engines end up with some sort of supplementary ignition system ... which diesel engines already have (glow plugs). It will probably be necessary in order to ensure reliable cold starting and reliable ignition in all foreseeable operating conditions.

Mazda is probably going to beat Hyundai to production, though. The next Mazda 3 due sometime in 2018 is supposedly going to have their next-generation Skyactiv system.