Deleting egr in ca

joncfinney

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Tdi alh
03 tdi 5 speed.
Has anyone that lives in ca with emissions testing deleted their egr. Is it possible to do it and then when I need a smog just put it back on? Do I need to do any tuning after I delete it?

Thanks

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I would leave the egr in place and tune the car with something like a Malone dynamic egr. You retain some egr function for engine warming and the best part is that obdII will show ready.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
03 tdi 5 speed.
Has anyone that lives in ca with emissions testing deleted their egr. Is it possible to do it and then when I need a smog just put it back on? Do I need to do any tuning after I delete it?
Thanks
Bad idea

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
California inspector's look for the stamps!
I'd recommend going dynamic also.
If you are absolutely set on deleting it you need to stealth delete and bypass cooling lines. If you don't bypass the coolant line to the cooler it will be another leak point with no purpose.

justynd

TDI
02 Golf, 04 wagon, 00 Golf
Move!

Everything I've ever seen contains a chemical that might cause cancer in California. Get out of there, it's dangerous. Lol. Good luck

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I wouldn't delete it. I also wouldn't talk about deleting any emissions equipment on a California registered vehicle on a public forum.

California Bureau of Automotive Repair has been known to monitor these forums...

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Passat wagon TDI 5MT
If you delete it. You can add block off plates and use longer bolts and leave the egr in place.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
A Dynamic EGR tune by Malone Tuning (or others) will accomplish the same result without physically removing any emissions equipment so you don't have to worry about compliance at inspection time.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
A slight MPG improvement, however, in California you risk more than what you will ever save!
Tune it, or adapt it to the lowest possible setting.
Remember, the egr delete only stops the CEL from coming on. A dynamic or adaptation will reduce what's requested by the ecm.

The greatest benefit of deletion is not clogging the EGR. Add a pcv oil filter and adapt it for the most benefit with the least cost. BMW cyclone is the cheapest filter ($12 plus hoses and bracket fabrication) to add.

Last edited:

Angst

TDI
MK4 wagon
Add a pcv oil filter and adapt it for the most benefit with the least cost. BMW cyclone is the cheapest filter
Can you elaborate? You are saying to add a filter to the hose from the top of the engine that goes back into the intake? What is the benefit?

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The only real "benefit" from deleting EGR is that you also delete the intake fouling that EGR causes. It's not EGR that actually causes the fouling, per-se -- it's the EGR coupled with the oil vapor that comes from the crankcase breather that is the source of the problem.

Therefore if you get the oil vapor out of the PCV system then there is no fouling. That separator is an attempt to remove the oil vapor from the PCV airflow, and therefore eliminate the fouling problem.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
It's sort of a catch can set-up to eliminate precipitate from collecting in the intakes and piping. Easiest solution is to simply change the EGR value from 32768 to 33768, that appears to be what the chip tunes do. There will still be some precipitate in the system but itlls run just fine and should pass inspection.
[looks like I was still typing while Genesis answered the question]

Last edited: