BMW 328d vs 535d, 2014 year

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
The 535d gets 35+ mpg most of the time (70/30 mix highway/city) while I would be lucky to average 32 mpg with the 335d.
Something tells me your right foot might have had something to do with that. And I'm guessing that the 535d has the ZF 8-speed auto in it?

Last edited:

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Something tells me your right foot might have had something to do with that. And I'm guessing that the 535d has the ZF 8-speed auto in it?
I think its the tires and wheel alignment, but the newer twin-scroll turbo-diesel is less powerful and more refined, with the car accelerating even faster than the 335d. The 8 speed ZF is better. The 335d throttle was a bit more lively, but driving gingerly barely got me to 32 mpg. on the highway.

TM

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Asked my sister what her last visit to the BMW dealer cost her:

Just under $1000 for the 30K service

Frankly, I was surprised that the cost was so "moderate"'.

Unfortunately, she got the car with only 3000 miles from the widow of her boss. He passed 21 months after a brain tumor diagnosis. After 7 or so years with the BMW, she is still happy with it.

At this rate, it will be the lastng car she ever buys. One of my grandkids will likely wreck it. Or maybe a great grandkid! Damn, we are getting old.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I had no idea BMW brought a diesel 7 series over. Was it only for the 2015 model year? When I search I only find 2015s and nothing else.
Yep, I think it was a one year wonder. It is a 740ld (l = long wheelbase). Under the hood is identical to a 535d. Same N57 engine and power train. I recall the published 0-60 time was 6.3 seconds compared to the 535d's 5.7 seconds. I'm not surprised the 740ld is a tad slower due to it being a much heavier car. I recall the fuel economy numbers are similar to the 535d.

n1das

TDI
The 535d has the ZF8 auto. While I'm a diehard manual driver, I have found the ZF8 in my 535d to be one automatic that I really DO like. I drive in SPORT mode much of the time and have my foot into it a lot. I'm getting in the low 30s for MPGs due to my heavy right foot. :) I get around 35-37 MPG on a long highway trip and with my foot into it. :)

I'm currently at 89k miles on my '14 535d. It's coming up on being 4 years old since I got it in August of 2013. The car was ordered on July 1, 2013, a little over 24 hours after the 535d and 328d models first appeared on BMW's website (www.BMWusa.com). I waited a month and a half for it to be "born" and took delivery in mid-August. It is the first one registered in NH and among the first batch of them to arrive in the country. I brought it to TDIfest 2013 in Maine about 2 weeks later. :)

Last edited:

n1das

TDI
This is how I optioned my 535d:

A52 Space Gray Metallic color
LZMW Mocha Nappa Leather w/Black Dashboard
ZMM M Sport
ZCW Cold Weather Package
ZDA Driver Assistance Package
ZDB Driver Assistance Plus
ZDH Dynamic Handling Package
ZLP Lighting Package (Full LED lights!!!!)
ZPP Premium Package
337 M Sport Package
2TB Sport Automatic Transmission w/shift paddles
323 Soft-close automatic doors
456 Multi-contour seats
4U1 Ceramic controls
5AP Decoding for no-dazzle high-beam assistance
6F2 Bang & Olufsen Sound System
6UK Night Vision with Pedestrian Detection

I want to do the software hack to enable the adaptive LED headlight function that's part of the 5AP option. The LED headlights are by far the best headlights on any car I've ever owned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dvPZ3H1Vm4

:cool:

Last edited:

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
Ya I think it was a one year wonder.
Guess I should let my co-worker know I'd like to buy out his lease on a 740Ld when it comes up. I always get a kick parking my 335d next to his...ongoing joke is that his is bigger than mine:eek:

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
I turned in my '14 Passat TDI for the buyback last December and on New Year's Eve picked up my CPO '14 328xd with 43K miles. I liked the Passat but with the money I got for the buyback, I wanted the BMW. It's actually rather spartan in terms of options compared to my Passat SE. No backup camera, (I got really used to that feature), and I had to get it programmed for satellite radio.
It's sport trim with the red dash trim and red stitching on the interior, no NAV, sensa tec black interior, no paddle shifters.
When I drove it home from Turnersville BMW in NJ, I got the CEL a mile from home. It needed two new NOX Sensors. I was pissed that those weren't taken care of at the dealer beforehand.
Other than that, it has been great. I LOVE driving it, and have put 16K miles on it since as it's my daily 90 mile r/t commute car.