AC coil

export!

TDI
'02 Golf
I've been following the bible; DanG144's AC troubleshooting guide.

I didn't have a way to check duty cycle at the G65 sensor but I did get 3.1VDC and 5.1VAC so I believe that's enough to call it working.

I'm at step 5 and I believe I've found the problem but want to be sure. The document states that I should see 9-9.5v at the compressor coil. Unplugged I'm getting 12.19 which puzzles me. When I plug back into the coil and pierce the wire I get the same 12.19. Weird.

I checked the resistance to the coil with the connector unplugged and got 1 which I believe shows an open (dead) coil correct?

Just wanted to be certain that voltage wasn't an issue and that I've narrowed it down to the coil before I order one.

Thanks Dan and all!

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Infinite resistance is "open" - close to zero is a good reading. I think it should be somewhere around 8 ohms? Basically - open is bad, anything close to shorted across the terminals is good.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Did you check for a bad ground?
Measure from the negative side of the coil to the battery negative.
I would not want to see more then a few tenths of a volt.

export!

TDI
'02 Golf
Follow up;
I checked the ground and triple checked the coil (it's really hard to be sure you're onto those pins inside that plug while laying under the car)
Ordered a new coil from amazon. $27
Long story short, I spent about 2 unnecessary, unproductive hours fighting with those damn snap rings and trying to modify my crappy snap ring pliers. I really didn't want to take the turbo cooler off and that damn thing is REALLY in the way. I finally drove across town and bought a new set of pliers. $8 at Princess Auto. I realized the cooling duct inlet was still foiling my access so I heated up the pliers with a MAPP torch and put a slight curve into the jaws. Bingo, within seconds I realized I would never get those 2 frustrating hours back.
I easily tapped the pulley off with a chunk of very hard oak and a light touch with the hammer. Long story short I managed to replace the coil without loosening /moving the compressor or the turbo cooler.
Nice cold air again.
I'll include a pic of the pliers that saved the day.

Hmm... I guess I can't post attachments?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Glad you got it working.
I've fought with the wrong tools to many times myself.
Over time I bought what I needed.
That never ends.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I found it just easier to drop the compressor, rest it on a 6x6 piece of wood , use a clamp and socket to press the nut sert back into the bracket , change the coil and reinstall the compressor......way easier then fighting those snap rings while installed.