Cargo carriers

BobbyWires

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW manual, 1991 Syncro Vanagon, 2004 Audi A4 Avant 6man, 1990 Ford F250 351 "farm truck" 2014 Q7 TDI Sline
What is everyone using? Want to buy one soon would like to not go more then $600

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
You have one already, it's a GSW. You can fit a whole bunch of stuff in one, adding up to more weight than you ought to.
:)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
yeah but you won't look as cool with a giant empty box on the roof!

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
$37?

Considering I'd be transporting over $1000 in skis I'll spend extra for a brand name model. Used Thule crossbars can be had in the $100-$200 range pretty easily.

Though, after looking at the reviews it seems pretty decent. Still, $37?

BobbyWires

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW manual, 1991 Syncro Vanagon, 2004 Audi A4 Avant 6man, 1990 Ford F250 351 "farm truck" 2014 Q7 TDI Sline
Im doing some road trips this summer so need the extra cargo space with kids and all. Plus in the winter will be nice to keep skis and boards up there. I have Whispbars but they actually have very little space in between the bar and the roof so might need to sell those and get OEM ones.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
$37?

Considering I'd be transporting over $1000 in skis I'll spend extra for a brand name model. Used Thule crossbars can be had in the $100-$200 range pretty easily.

Had them on my old Passat. Can't complain about them. It does get noisy above 70 mph though.

Right now running, Whispbar Thru-bar on the Tiguan

and how do you transport the skis? In a cargo box, or do you a holder, where you expose the edges and the base to road grime, that will affect your wax job?

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
$37?

Only $1000 in skiis? what are those your 5 year old pair of rock skiis? I kid I kid!!

price is all relative, I enjoy thule branded stuff, if we were to pick up a roof box, it'd prob be a thule, to match our aeroblades.

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
I picked up thule 450R bases and 50 inch bars used for 140 and a yakima skybox used for 150. I will likely pick up a bigger box for my skis now that we have the longroof.

just got back from a week away from home with the baby and dog. the set up worked great we had the crate in the back and the oddball stuff in the box, still did really well with mileage.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Check Craigslist. There's a man a few hours from me that sells them from his house at discounted prices. I can get the Carbonite 16 for $325 and plan to do so in a few weeks.

Sad Panda

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI
Hey I need a set of cross bars for my 15 GSW, just saw a listing on CL for some from a 2011 jetta wagon.... Anyone know if the base rail design will be compatible?

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
A 16 cu ft box is in the $500 range from Thule & Yakima (the Yakima Skybox Carbonite 16 is $499)

But, does your budget include cross bars?

If so, you can get cheap Thule knockoffs from Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/CargoLoc-R...496236961&sr=8-3&keywords=roof+rack+crossbars

I purchased a set of these because I just didn't want to spend $300 more for something I'm not going to leave on permanently.

My observations:

They won't allow opening of the sunroof without modification, something I will be doing soon ( adding rubber spacers )

They are loud...I might try to make them quieter someway. I suspect some or most of the noise is wind flowing between the bar and the box.

A lot of modern cargo boxes have large mounting clamps, which also take up clearance space for the sunroof.

The box I have is an older Thule Evolution which uses very small profile metal U shaped bars, not the easiest to install, but very low profile.

cokoop

TDI
15 GSW TDI
Have you thought about renting?

We have a couple places in CO that rent cargo boxes. I bought some Whispbars for the GSW (https://www.rerack.com) and plan on renting the box because 1) I don't want to drive around with an empty car coffin on my roof and 2) don't really have space to store cargo box when not using.