Dieselgate: The GM version

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I know I'm as guilty as all the others, but how does all this EV and solar talk relate to the OP about GMs lawsuit on diesel exhaust not being in compliance? There is another whole thread on EVs and their viability for the future: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=448191

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
But the solution is so simple....you just don't get it :)

<insert fun-fact "science" graphic that makes me look smart and others look stupid here>

There are around 260 million cars in the US. The buyer and taxpayer share the $40K purchase for a Chevy Bolt with 60kWh battery + $20K in solar because that's just pocket change anyone can afford. You then spend another $13K to install a couple of 14 kWh Tesla Powerwalls to store daytime solar energy so you can charge your EV at night. The $73,000 per household solution of solar + EV + Powerwalls thus balances the grid. Of course the batteries don't last forever, so in a few years - you just replace the EV and Powerwalls in perpetuity. Easy peazy.

If you live in an apartment building where a solar installation isn't feasible, you install it anyway - regardless of cost, if the building is shaded, or the roof faces North. What part of this don't you understand?

If you're going on a road trip longer than the 238 mile range the Bolt has, and DC fast charging isn't available, you just buy a second ICE car, or rent one. So simple.

What... what evidence will it take to convince the cynics that wind and solar are not just economically viable but much cheaper than fossil fuels?
No offense, but you have got to be the most conflicted PV user I have heard speak on the subject. I'm curious what prompted you to do your installation if the economics weren't favorable. My self installed system should run me about $1/watt btw.

Oilerlord

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI w/DSG. 700 Mile Club. 2008 BMW X3 "Beatrice", 2004 BMW 330Xi, 2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric
No offense, but you have got to be the most conflicted PV user I have heard speak on the subject. I'm curious what prompted you to do your installation if the economics weren't favorable. My self installed system should run me about $1/watt btw.
None taken.

Perhaps I'm not the typical PV user. The taxpayers didn't help me pay for my solar, I don't expect a lucrative ROI, and I'm not going to fool myself or anyone else that it's going to save the world. I'm doing my part, that's all.

I prefer to stay grounded in reality, and speak from experience. My system (utilizing used 5-year old panels) came in at CDN$2.06 / USD$1.68 per watt. The reality is that most pay a lot more than that because they either don't have the time, inclination, or want to assume the risk of burning down their house due to a substandard solar installation.

I'd be counting my checks too if my arrays were situated in Palm Springs, but they aren't. Part of the year, my panels are covered in snow.

Of course, there are positives & negatives with my solar just as there are with my EV. I'm not at all conflicted. I installed my solar, and I'd do it again. It's a fun hobby, and an ongoing "science" project. With that said, I'd rather set reasonable expectations based on my experience rather than paint a rosy picture that is way over the top.

Last edited: