Annoying discovery with first fill up

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
I've been to a few stations, and some truck stops don't have any small pumps for cars. But they sell diesel, my cars burn diesel...

If you're out in the middle of nowhere and need fuel and the available pump doesn't fit will you be frustrated?
Or in the middle of somewhere, run your card, grab the nozzle and it won't fit, then you have to drive down the block and try again.
If either won't frustrate you then don't worry about it.

luckydpt

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S Manual (Previous: 3 ALH's )
Tortoise: by me it's 50/50 with regular and large size.
The 2 closest stations by my home (Ironically the best prices as well) both only have large nozzles. I just filled up 2 days ago and only had the large to choose from.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Filled up the Passat with the large nozzle with no adapter, just took 20+ min. Just sqeeze very lightly and it'll trickle in.

This was up in PEI just before going over the bridge and we were looking at a 500 mile trip back home, didn't want to stop agian.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
Yeah, at the 5 minute mark.

Maybe I'll just throw a set of needle nose pliers into the toolkit in case I need to remove it. I've only filled it three times so far (so f'n awesome) and they've all been at local-ish stations with the regular nozzle.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
This is essentially for those odd serious road trips where you didn't pay attention and empty ends up near a truck stop...

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Dumb question from a diesel newb, how often does it come up that you need to use the larger nozzles?

Seems to me that everywhere I drive has the regular ones.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
In 17 years of driving VW diesels, I think I've run across a station with only larger nozzles about three times. In all but one case, there was another station within sight. The other case, I still had the beetle and it would take any sized nozzle.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow, 20 minutes? That would get old very quickly for me.

Agreed, it was the second time in over 200K+ miles on our TDI's. So I'm doing pretty good average wise.

I was on a road trip and pulled up to a pump that had the large nozzle and didn't realize until card was swipped, I bet if I went to the other side of the pump it would have been the smaller one.

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
Agreed, it was the second time in over 200K+ miles on our TDI's. So I'm doing pretty good average wise.

I was on a road trip and pulled up to a pump that had the large nozzle and didn't realize until card was swipped, I bet if I went to the other side of the pump it would have been the smaller one.
Good thing was you spent another 20 min in PEI. Even if it was at the gas station in Borden!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've always filled up with Irving, its my insurance policy for our HPFP.

We still find red sand in the cracks of the door jamb for visiting Cape Bear Lighthouse. We weren't planning on putting on 300 miles on the island but glad we did.

Been wanting to plan on heading back up there, Rt 9 Airline is one heck of a road in Maine, exchange rate is in our favor too!

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Well, I took mine out, then put it back, wrong apparently. I couldn't get it to release! So I ripped it back out, filled up, and now I'm taking it to the dealer to try and get them to fix it.

Think i voided my warranty?

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
I wouldn't worry about it in the least. Just leave it out and forget it was ever there.

To further answer an earlier question about does the fuel cap still seal without. Yes, it does, just filled mine and tank had some pressure upon releasing the fuel cap.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
it's a miss fuel guard. I decided to put it back in case the ip grinds it's guts or something, and putting it back removes the possibility of warranty claim issues.

I was going to leave it there until I go cp3, or warranty is up, one or the other.

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
Tried doing this today but couldn't seem to fish the second piece out. Didn't want to force it. I'll maybe try again with better hooks or when I'm feeling less ham fisted.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
It comes out square. No force required. It has to be perfect.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I think it's still a twist, but lifting it has to be near NASA handling space shuttle precision.