Clear bra- possible group purchase?

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
Clear bra- possible discount with group purchase?

Since I just got my new GSW, I want to keep it as pristine as long as possible so am thinking that I want to put on the paint protection film ASAP.
I am talking with a vendor that sold me the 3M protection for my wife's van almost 10 years ago (and the film still looks great) about whether he can make me a kit for my GSW. He is able to and I mentioned there may be more people like me who just recently got their cars. He is willing to provide what seems to be a pretty significant discount. The guy has a physical shop where he installs this as well as 100% ebay feedback rating, with 2721 reviews.

I don't have any financial interest in this other than wanting to save some money on a product I am going to buy anyways. So I am trying to gauge interest in who might want to join this potential group buy?
-Nick

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
I am trying to get it set up so whoever wants to participate can email the vendor directly with what you want, whether you have a GSW, Jetta or whatever as well as the amount of coverage you want (just the hood, mirrors, door cups, rear trunk ledge,etc).

It will be a fantastic price, cheaper than eBay and the more coverage you get, the better of a deal to be had.

The installation would have to be done at a local shop or by yourself. I have done a few of these on my Passat as well as my wife's van. It is pretty simple as long as you aren't in a rush.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
For those potentially interested, what details you would like to know?
For $215/plus shipping- you would get the 3m Pro Series film that covers:
  • Front portion of the hood
  • Front part fenders
  • Side mirrors
  • Front bumper
  • Front lamps
  • Rear trunk ledge
  • Door cups and
  • Area in front of the rear wheels
I have a PDF showing most of the 3M pieces but I don't seem to be able to convert the PDF to a JPG.

BobbyWires

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW manual, 1991 Syncro Vanagon, 2004 Audi A4 Avant 6man, 1990 Ford F250 351 "farm truck" 2014 Q7 TDI Sline
I would like this.

nsocwx

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Sportwagen S
I have a PDF showing most of the 3M pieces but I don't seem to be able to convert the PDF to a JPG.
If you use a PDF reader like Adobe Reader DC you can do File > Export to > Image and to a JPG.

I'd be interested in this as well. I haven't done clear bra before, but I've done vinyl somewhat and I did my whole dash and doors in Alcantara so "how hard could it be"??

TJD_TDI

TDI
2012 JSW
I'm interested and close enough that I would probably have them install. Did you happen to get price to install at his shop?

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm interested and close enough that I would probably have them install. Did you happen to get price to install at his shop?
He is actually out of Wisconsin so you would need to find a shop that is local to you in Maryland.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
What kind of prices are you guys seeing for installation?
The place closest to me is wanting $800 for the film plus installation... :eek:

capt_slow

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
What kind of prices are you guys seeing for installation?
The place closest to me is wanting $800 for the film plus installation... :eek:
Sounds about right. I was quoted $700 for similar coverage on Xpel Ultimate material, including necessary paint correction and prep.

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
Well I'm on hold until VW can figure out what to do with my GSW. I'm guessing they are going to have to repaint the hood and possibly the entire roof or a portion of it.

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen DSG; 2014 Golf 6MT; 2014 Sportwagen DSG; 2015 Golf SEL DSG
I got a "loose" quote for over $1K. For that kind of money, I'll just keep a good distance between myself and the chump in front of me.

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
3M pro series group buy question. Would like to hear from current members that have DIY installation before . T/Y

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
3M pro series group buy question. Would like to hear from current members that have DIY installation before . T/Y

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I've installed it on my 96 Passat as well as my wife's Toyota Sienna minivan. What questions do you have?
I'm just curious how difficult it is to do a good job first time out.

I know when i've put wet-application skins on my iPhone in the past, I've typically butchered the first attempt (ended up with loose ends; or inadvertently let it get stuck to itself). It's one thing to do that with a $15 iPhone skin; would hate to make a mess of a $300 kit.

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone: 05 Jetta GLS Wagon Current: 2015 GSW SEL 6MT
He sent me a price, I paid up and the goods should be on their way shortly.

thanks for putting this together.,, I'll report back once I F up the first install... I think I'll start with the mirrors... HA