FS: 2002 Golf 6sp., Malone4, Pioneer CarPlay, Recaro, FIS, more...

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Back up for sale.
$7000USD

We're sad to see it go, but with a new 2015 TDI in the driveway, our two-person household does not need three cars, so go it must.

Here's story:
2002 Golf 4dr. 315xxxkm (just under 200K miles) with the following goodies:
  • VNT-17 (bought from BoraParts)
  • PP764 injectors (bought from frans)
  • Malone Stage 4 custom (bought directly from Mark)
  • Recaro sport seats (I added heat to the bottom seat cushion a couple years ago)
  • 6-speed 02M transmission (DRW code) from ryanp
  • BuzzKen 2.5" exhaust (didn't like the drone, so I put the muffler on - minimal impact on the increased performance)
  • Three keys (two remotes, plus one valet key...although i haven't seen that in a while; will have to verify)
  • Remote opens/closes the windows
  • ECS Tuning hatch-pop / lift kit installed (but doesn't do more than pop open the hatch)
  • HID projectors retrofitted into the stock housings; also have OEM Hella projectors - will install those if you prefer...although I find the light output from the retrofit projectors better)
  • Convenience mod (tap the signal stalk and you get three blinks of the turn signal)
  • Pioneer 5000NEX CD/DVD/Nav with CarPlay (Lightning cable routed to pop out near the vents)
  • Timing belt and full pathway replaced at 280,000km a couple years ago - timing adjusted with VCDS
  • New battery last winter
  • Winter tires on steelies (Michelin X-ice); all-season tires (Michelin MX-V4, I think) on 15" rims that came off our 2003 Jetta wagon - probably ⅓ of tread left on all-seasons)
  • Big brakes
  • Audi TT lower control arm solid bushings
  • Euro wiper arms and blades (both front and hatch)
  • Replaced driver door key with solid dud after the second break-in
  • Rewrote the instrument cluster EEPROM so coolant temp gauge is linear (you can see the diff between coolant temp of 89C and 92C)
  • Bilstein HD suspension with Eibach springs (lowered maybe 1.5"); also replaced ball joints while I was there
  • Cup-holders near parking brake / under armrest, as well as the pop-out ones under the dash vents
  • Monster mats
  • Evolution imports aluminum skid plate
  • Audi leather-wrapped steering wheel
  • Audi leather-wrapped steering wheel, and....
  • (my first-ever mod) Replaced the peeling paint button on the parking brake with aluminum one out of Audi TT

Late addition:
  • 1-¼" hitch receiver along with the wiring
  • Euro switch that activates the rear fog light(s) (yes - I know it's only supposed to be on the left, but I didn't like the unbalanced look. :p )

As for the negatives: Had to get an emergency tire change and Walmart was the only place open, and they nicely bent the front rocker panels at the jack point...didn't notice until we were a few days away (grrrr...)
Also, the driver side rear door took a runaway band saw impact (don't ask...one of those days). I've had it straightened out as much as possible, but it's definitely noticeable. The typical paint chips and parking lot dings. Front bumper cover is plasti-dipped, so there is blue paint under there.

I want you to love this car as much as we have. It's been a great, reliable ride, taken us on some 5000-6000km road trips numerous times, where it's pretty easy to get 5.0L/100km (47mpg US) cruising along at 120km/h and a little over 2000rpm.

I'm on Vancouver Island, but frequently over in the Vancouver area. We sold our 2001 Golf to a couple from San Francisco (references available), so pretty sure importing into the US wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Photos:
Recaro seats (stitching on left driver side came out, so it was re-done):

Audi TT 6sp. shifter (cut down); Pioneer 5000NEX:

Pioneer 5000NEX gone; replaced by 8000NEX:

Front view:

Engine bay:

Six-speed shifter linkage (top of transmission):

Ladies and gentlemen...Walmart's finest handiwork:

What happens when bandsaw meets car door:

Last edited:

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Ok, so if I'm in the US can I buy this and legally register it here?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's what the folks from San Francisco did; they flew into Vancouver and I gave them the car there. They drove it to the Canada-US border, where they had to declare they were importing it, pay tax, but they said that whole process was pretty straight-forward.

The catch is that I have to get a letter from VWoA saying that the car is legit to import into the US. Wasn't a major issue the last time (once I figured out the process). I'll be doing that tomorrow when the world re-opens for business.

Deezel dub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf Variant
I have sold to VWs to the US and neither one required letters from VWoA for import. However when I imported one into Canada I needed the recall clearance letter from VWoA.
Much easier for Americans to buy Canadian's cars than vice versa.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah - to be clear: The US folks to whom I sold my car told me that the US CBP personnel didn't ask for the VW letter and didn't seem at all interested in anything like that. They just wanted a bill of sale to know how much sales tax to collect.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
I'm thinking about this car, seriously tossing the idea around in my head.

Will changing the gauge cluster out for MPH be an issue?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's pretty simple, really; the only issue (if you can call it that) would be that you'd lose those silver "rings" around the speedo and tach (unless you could find some gauge overlays with them which are are mph).

I think I might have some "normal" MPH overlays in the garage, so could easily do the swap for you if I can hunt them down.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's an even easier fix (done with VCDS in less than a minute). :)
Display in the odometer window will change to actually saying MILES - and will do the correction.
That is, as soon as I change that setting in VCDS, it'd go from showing 315xxx km to 195xxx miles (and indeed, "miles" - the word - would show above the numerals).

JohnnyCanuck.Comox

TDI
2004 Golf GLS
Hmm, I should pop by and take a look seeing as how we live close by. I'd have to sell my forester or my wife would blow an o-ring. I'm on Wally Road by the ferry, let me ponder on it for a day or two.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey - a local! I'm on the other side of town - near Driftwood Mall.
(Non-locals, please disregard. :))

Also - I updated the original post to include the fact that there's also a 1-¼" hitch receiver, with wiring, on the car.

Oh - and really cool (perfectly matched paint) sharkfin-style antenna (alas, the ***hat who broke into my car and ripped out the previous stereo tore the antenna cable, so despite a couple of splice/repair attempts, AM/FM reception is all but non-existent...but did I mention the 5000NEX and CarPlay...:))

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the eBay link, gmenounos! I think I paid well over $100 for the ones I got from Germany for my wagon a few years ago; prices have come down nicely! :)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry for not repeating myself.
$7000USD
(And yes - while the entire car isn't made of gold (what would the weight of that be - like 12 tons?), there is indeed gold on the contacts of the Apple Lightning cable plugged into the Pioneer head unit. :D)

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Working on details with prospective buyer....

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Deal fell through. Back on the block.

To update: For interested Americans, I have the certificate of compliance from VWoA. Should be easy to import if that's the route you want to go.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
..and we're back.

Found a 2015 TDI that my wife wanted, so this is back up for sale.
$7000USD is the asking price; willing to entertain offers.

For the Americans, I have the Certificate of Conformity so import to the US should be a non-issue. Just pay your import tax at the border and you're on your way.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NEX5000 was replaced by NEX8000.
Bigger, better touchscreen; HD Radio; angle the display to suit your needs.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Nice list of modifications. The 6 speed upgrade really sets this apart.

What sort of "Big Brakes"s did you install?