Mk7 Common issues and resolutions

nautographer

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
fumes from front window washer

Has anyone else experienced fumes from the window washer fluid coming into the front drivers cabin in the 2015 Golfs? Spoke with a service advisor about this issue, he suggested putting the heater on recirculate. Seems a rather kludgey solution to me.

This is my third vw had the sporstwagen tdi before this one.

Asam9

TDI
Mk7 golf
i had a check engine light turn on at 6,000 miles. ended up being a leaking adblue line. dealer fixed but still a pain. dealer ordered wrong part 3 times before they actually fixed it -_-

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Has anyone else experienced fumes from the window washer fluid coming into the front drivers cabin in the 2015 Golfs? Spoke with a service advisor about this issue, he suggested putting the heater on recirculate. Seems a rather kludgey solution to me.

This is my third vw had the sporstwagen tdi before this one.
Yes - that is completely normal. The factory fluid is mostly alcohol, which evaporates, gets sucked into the air intake, and causes an odor in the cabin. Using a fluid with less alcohol content will reduce the smell. Using recirculate when you use the washer will also help.

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
Test drive a TDI S yesterday. The vehicle kept giving a warning about making sure the car was in P prior to start in the display. Cycled it on and off 3 times and the vehicle had the same warning.

TDI-rex

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S DSG
Test drive a TDI S yesterday. The vehicle kept giving a warning about making sure the car was in P prior to start in the display. Cycled it on and off 3 times and the vehicle had the same warning.
Are you saying that the car was in fact in P but still giving that warning? Because if you received the warning while the shift selector was somewhere like D or N, it was no mistake.

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
Are you saying that the car was in fact in P but still giving that warning? Because if you received the warning while the shift selector was somewhere like D or N, it was no mistake.

Car was in park, foot was on the brake. Saw the warning but did not catch it all at first. Turned car off, restarted saw same message. Shut down, checked the lever restarted same message again. The guy from the dealership walked over and asked if everything was ok. Told him he said strange and walked away.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I got a similar message when my battery died.

Snitzler

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I'm a materials scientist at an audio product company, and I can say that the thought of speakers having to work at -20 makes me cringe. The moving parts in the speaker can act much stiffer at those temps, which would definitely cut out some bass, hence the "tin can" sound.

I'd say it's perfectly normal, and can happen without any major leak or whatever (you'd have bigger problems if that happened). The good news is, it's reversible. They will go back to playing normally when they warm up, which I think you've already stated.

Just do the speakers a personal favor and don't blast the speed metal until they do warm up ;)
If the speakers are frozen, how come this has never happened to any other car that I have owned? The last VW I had was a 2010 2.5 Golf and the radio never lost bass in -30C. BTW I live in Winnipeg. When the bass goes away turning up the bass in the control panel does nothing, so probably crappy radio that doesn't do low temps. It is more than annoying, it is a pain in the butt. It is like having an AM radio when its cold.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
If the speakers are frozen, how come this has never happened to any other car that I have owned? The last VW I had was a 2010 2.5 Golf and the radio never lost bass in -30C. BTW I live in Winnipeg. When the bass goes away turning up the bass in the control panel does nothing, so probably crappy radio that doesn't do low temps. It is more than annoying, it is a pain in the butt. It is like having an AM radio when its cold.
I can't say for sure, especially because I've never experienced this with my own Mk7, I'm just offering one of many plausible explanations.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
Taking my car in to check for exhaust leak. I don't think there is a serious issue, but I have this nagging feeling that I shouldn't be smelling diesel exhaust in the cabin. It's really just at startup, and very faint, but I left it idling and popped the hood yesterday to look for soot, and it did seem like the smell had collected in the engine bay I'm general.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
This is something I have seen/smelled on a few EA288 cars I have driven. Unless it is from something blatantly obvious like the Turbo to DPF clamp, take a look at the actuator arm/lever for the variable vanes on the turbo. You might need a small mirror with an arm to see it. You are likely to see some soot staining there where it enters the turbo housing. Like you have mentioned, this is most apparent on a cold start.

What is the build date of your car? I would be interested in what the dealer finds, please let me know.

Look for soot staining down behind the turbo, on the various lines that run all over the place. You can see the line wrapped in the silver guard has black soot staining.

Last edited:

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
Yeah, I checked that and saw nothing. I can also say it is generally non existent.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
So far, they smelled a little exhaust under the hood, but not through the vents. They tightened down all exhaust related clamps/bolts, then took for a test drive. During test drive, a CE or Glow Plug light came on (not clear on that, but that is news to me). They swapped plugs and the light didn't return, so they don't know what happened. They kept it overnight to allow more test driving and see if it returns. Still waiting.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Have them look at the actuator arm on the turbo, there might be some slight soot staining there.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
I can also report that my malfunctioning vanity light was also user error.

You have to open the mirror slide AND (emphasis) have the mirror facing your face. If you push the visor fully out (mirror facing lap), it shuts the light off.

Marsupial

TDI
'15 Golf TDI DSG S
My car (TDI S with DSG) developed an annoying resonance rattle in the dash somewhere. Seems like it's coming from the center area. At first it started when accelerating moderately at low speeds and was most pronounced between 1200 and 1600 rpm. Then it evolved somewhat and now it seems to be constant when driving with cruise control set to 65MPH going on level or uphill road - it goes away mostly when cruising at 75MPH. Very annoying. I just made an appointment with a dealer service place - hope that they can find the cause and fix it. These things are notoriously tough to find though and they will have to take apart the dashboard to look for it - bummer. :(

Charliesa66

TDI
2015 mk7 SEL
My car (TDI S with DSG) developed an annoying resonance rattle in the dash somewhere. Seems like it's coming from the center area. At first it started when accelerating moderately at low speeds and was most pronounced between 1200 and 1600 rpm. Then it evolved somewhat and now it seems to be constant when driving with cruise control set to 65MPH going on level or uphill road - it goes away mostly when cruising at 75MPH.:(
Mine has a similar chirpy sound, it's very specific, 2000-2100 rpm, 6th gear, under load (uphill) around 70-75. I'm not gonna risk asking the dealer to dig into anything; my hearing isn't that great and it doesn't bug me that much. But I look forward to hearing if others have experienced this - or even better how to make it go away :D
Mine's a 2 week old SEL, manual, light pkg, with about 2,000 miles - loving it!

Marsupial

TDI
'15 Golf TDI DSG S
Mine has a similar chirpy sound, it's very specific, 2000-2100 rpm, 6th gear, under load (uphill) around 70-75. I'm not gonna risk asking the dealer to dig into anything; my hearing isn't that great and it doesn't bug me that much. But I look forward to hearing if others have experienced this - or even better how to make it go away :D
Mine's a 2 week old SEL, manual, light pkg, with about 2,000 miles - loving it!
The sound I hear is more of a rattle than a chirp and it happens at about 100 RPM lower than what you're hearing. The annoying thing on mine is that it is pretty much constant at 65MPH which is the speed I drive at a lot so it is annoying. In any case, I'll post what the dealer service place finds (or not finds most likely). I'm also curious if anybody else's car has any similar rattle/chirp at any particular engine rotations range.

cmschmie

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE 6MT
I've been away on a business trip and will be returning home at the end of the week (yay!)

My question is:
The car will have been sitting in the Charlotte airport parking lot (covered) for 3 weeks, is there anything I need to be concerned about when I go to restart it?

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
I've been away on a business trip and will be returning home at the end of the week (yay!)

My question is:
The car will have been sitting in the Charlotte airport parking lot (covered) for 3 weeks, is there anything I need to be concerned about when I go to restart it?
there could be a homeless person sleeping under it. :eek:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

My question is:
Wait for the glow plug light to go out and fire it up.

Lockett

TDI
MKII Golf and V10 TDI
My car (TDI S with DSG) developed an annoying resonance rattle in the dash somewhere. Seems like it's coming from the center area. At first it started when accelerating moderately at low speeds and was most pronounced between 1200 and 1600 rpm. Then it evolved somewhat and now it seems to be constant when driving with cruise control set to 65MPH going on level or uphill road - it goes away mostly when cruising at 75MPH. Very annoying. I just made an appointment with a dealer service place - hope that they can find the cause and fix it. These things are notoriously tough to find though and they will have to take apart the dashboard to look for it - bummer. :(

I have the same issue. Very annoying!! Please update should the dealer resolve. Thanks!

Marsupial

TDI
'15 Golf TDI DSG S
I have the same issue. Very annoying!! Please update should the dealer resolve. Thanks!
I went to the dealer service center and after talking to them I decided to wait until my first oil change to due anything about it. With warmer weather the rattle subsided somewhat and now it only shows up under heavier acceleration. I'm at 5500 miles currently and about to put another 600 miles on it this coming weekend. Since the rattle is still evolving and I should be close to 10000 miles service in about 2 months I am waiting until they take the car in then and let them look for the rattle source then.

cascade7997

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI sold, 2015 Golf SE TDI 6MT
Don't even have to "wait"
Just turn the key, when the glow plugs have done their job, then, and only then. with the starter start.

Another joy of having the computers control everything.

Howard Garner

cascade7997

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI sold, 2015 Golf SE TDI 6MT
Don't even have to "wait"
Just turn the key, when the glow plugs have done their job, then, and only then, will the starter start.

Another joy of having the computers control everything.

Howard Garner