VCDS vs VCDS Lite

jjbionic1

TDI
02 New Beetle
I have been looking at the numerous posts about vcds and vcds lite. also i have been looking at some of the many handheld tools, eg. vagcom 401 that can be found on amazon, etc. Now if I am just going to be working on my car here and there, would the vcds lite be sufficient. If so does anyone have a recommendation on a cable I could get. I have been trying to absorb so much info in the past 2 weeks and just am looking for a little extra guidance. Thank you all for your knowledge and for taking your time to share it. I also heard about this GTG in Chapin SC. I may have to try to make it there to meet some of yall..my parents stay right next door in Little Mountain, and I am not much further being in Newberry. Thanks again

JLMurphy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT, 2001 Golf 5MT
I'd say skip the lite version and go with the real thing. I've had VCDS for years now and continue to be surprised at how useful it is. I upgraded to the new HEX-USB+CAN version when I got my '10 Golf. Easily worth the $350.

The shareware version of VCDS lite is pretty limited, especially because it lacks the ability to check TDI timing. Given that it costs $99 to get the full version of lite plus whatever the knock-off cable costs, I'd just plunk down my $350 and be happy.

Jim

jjbionic1

TDI
02 New Beetle
what about the handheld units you find on amazon and such...what is the deal with the those..they say they read CEL and ABS and airbag...are those limited as well?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
what about the handheld units you find on amazon and such...what is the deal with the those..they say they read CEL and ABS and airbag...are those limited as well?
A VW specific one can probably read and clear fault codes in all controllers. However VCDS can do many more things. Ask if they can do coding changes or basic settings. Can they log performance data. VCDS is much more than a code scanner. If your only desire is to work on your own car, you do not need the $350 HEX+CAN interface. You could get by just fine with a KII-USB K-line interface cable for only $249. With the full VCDS you can upgrade computers, use it on multiple computers, loan it to friends, etc. VCDS-Lite (even when registered) is locked to only one computer. If you buy a new computer, you have to pay the $99 registration again. It doesn't take long before the full VCDS becomes cheaper than VCDS lite - especially if you need any support from Ross-Tech.

Have Fun!

Don

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
They'll read generic OBDII codes. Period. The advantage of a full blown VCDS is that it will read the specific VW codes and give the proper interpretation of them.

It is a little like going to a foreign restaurant where you don't know the language and no one there speaks yours. It would be better to have a good interpreter to make sure you are ordering something edible instead of dried pig's ears and a heaping mountain of deep fried chicken tongues.

For you, you don't want to get a code that says something about an O2 sensor being bad, when your car doesn't have one.

Cheers,

PH

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I would definitely get the real thing and not the lite. The hassle it could save you later is worth the extra and if you ever decide to sell it, the prices they fetch are often very close to new, so you're not losing money.

I have had one for many years and if something happened to it, it'd be the first thing I replaced, bar none.

30_Yr_Dsl_Veteran

banned Ric Woodruff alias account and troll
TDI
2009 Jetta
I got an APPlication for my android phone for $4.99, and have some sort of $11.42 bluetooth adapter on order, that the combo will allow me to do the same things as your highly expensive "VCDS". :D:D:D

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
Also, Ross Tech has excellent tech support for those who buy the full version. They have helped me out quite a bit. Their employees are very active in other VW forums where there is a dedicated VCDS board.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also, Ross Tech has excellent tech support for those who buy the full version. They have helped me out quite a bit. Their employees are very active in other VW forums where there is a dedicated VCDS board.
A big +1 on this! I once had a question (problem) on a Sunday afternoon. I sent an email to Ross-Tech support, fully expecting a reply on Monday. Within an hour (maybe 2), I got a reply from Uwe Ross himself, answering my question. This kind of support is nothing less than extraordinary.

Have Fun!

Don

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
The fleabay version only works on cars prior to 03' in most cases. Some of the MK4 PD cars work but not all. None of the MKV stuff works.

H2O2H

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
I would get the wireless device Ross-Tech is releasing this month, maybe even next week.

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
Personally, I had a cheap Vag-Com cable already so I tested it with the freeware version to check to see if it works (which it did fine).

Once I knew it worked, I bought the $99 lite version since it does everything that the full $250 unit does. Only down side is having it locked to one computer, although your allowed one computer change.

Ohhhh, and if you ever think you want to go to the full version, then it will only cost you $150 since you already paid the $99. (like a down payment) So really, unless your changing computers all the time, or renting out the cable, the lite version is great!

Also, a generic code reader is just fine, it will work at getting codes from the ECU which is what most only need. Even the free version of VCDS will pull codes.

H2O2H

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
Abucus, agree 100%. But, many don't know how to do it or what it's telling them.

ChiTownPilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI + Premium
Just to confirm... If all I care about is my 2013 Jetta I can purchase the $250 Micro-Can and it will do everything the $350 version does but only for newer cars? Or do I still need the $350 version to have access to all features?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Oh man, that is one of the best features of the Vag-Com. It has so much more information to tell than just codes. I've helped people out with issues when their TDI's weren't throwing codes but there was clearly a problem.

But to each his own, I suppose having the Lite is better than having nothing.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just to confirm... If all I care about is my 2013 Jetta I can purchase the $250 Micro-Can and it will do everything the $350 version does but only for newer cars? Or do I still need the $350 version to have access to all features?
Yes, you are correct. The MicroCAN will do everything the HEX+CAN interface except for "turbo mode" which is usually unnecessary anyway. The only serious drawback to a MicroCAN is that it will not work with older VWs.

For Mk3 and Mk4 VWs you need a KII-USB or a HEX+CAN interface
For Mk5 and Mk6+ VWs you need a MicroCAN or a HEX+CAN interface

There are a few exceptions to these rules for some Audis, but for the most part the above guidelines are correct for all Golfs and Jettas and Passats.

Have Fun!

Don

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
+1 on the full VCDS unless you're just checking/clearing faults.

Only other point I might make is whether to get the USB cable version, or wait for the mobile app version, which I believe they will start taking orders for the beta release at the end of the month.