MFD -- Compass is off by half a direction (sometimes a full direction)

Matthew 53

TDI
2012 6M Passat
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan. I just cannot get the MFD compass to indicate the proper direction. I've tried to follow the manual's instructions to calibrate the compass. I'm never quite sure if I have done it correctly -- says to drive at 5kmh in a circle, but as soon as I start to move the MFD says "cannot adjust settings while in motion." I've made sure that the rear seats are fully clamped down.

Also, is New York city in zone 11 or zone 12?

Please advise.

Matthew

zanakas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta 160k - original cam, clutch
i've had a similar problem with my 05.5. After reaching the CALIBRATE screen, and doing the circle thing, my car also immediately jumps out of the setup mode, though it has said CAL on the compass for a while.

I drove in a circle until I was dizzy, to no avail.

BTW, I am not far from philly, and I am zone 11 (it shouldn't matter THAT much)...

I will try in the near future with VCMS (the program formerly known as VAG COM)

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
zanakas said:
i've had a similar problem with my 05.5. After reaching the CALIBRATE screen, and doing the circle thing, my car also immediately jumps out of the setup mode, though it has said CAL on the compass for a while.

I drove in a circle until I was dizzy, to no avail.

BTW, I am not far from philly, and I am zone 11 (it shouldn't matter THAT much)...

I will try in the near future with VCMS (the program formerly known as VAG COM)
You're driving too fast and it's kicking you out of setup mode. I went nuts with it for a while as my car did it to me, too.
If you have auto trans, I suggest you "circle" without stepping on the accellerator. If you have manual, go into first gear and balance the clutch to disengage point to keep your car moving.
When the CAL is done the screen will display

CALIBRATION
COMPLETE!

Matthew 53

TDI
2012 6M Passat
I just can't make it work

Thanks for the guidance. But I still cannot make it work. (Though I am dizzy.) Please baby me through exactly how to do this.

1. When it says "to calibrate must drive in a circle," do I begin driving in a circle or do I press "ok" and then begin driving in a circle?

2. How will I know when I have driven too fast? When it reverts to the setting menu or when it says "can only adjust settings when stationary"?

3. Does driving in a circle mean holding the steering wheel all the way (i.e. a rotation) or turning while moving forward a bit?

I've tried every variation I can think of and the best I can get to is getting the thing to read "cal" which the manual tells me means I have NOT finished calibrating.

Please help. Finally, If I simply give up, is there a setting to get rid of the compass? I would rather have no compass than a false compass.

Matthew

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
Matthew 53 said:
Thanks for the guidance. But I still cannot make it work. (Though I am dizzy.) Please baby me through exactly how to do this.

1. When it says "to calibrate must drive in a circle," do I begin driving in a circle or do I press "ok" and then begin driving in a circle?
Don't press OK. Just release the brake pedal (or engage the clutch) and let the car go for a full circle.
2. How will I know when I have driven too fast? When it reverts to the setting menu or when it says "can only adjust settings when stationary"?
When it says "can only... ...stationary". The reason why it's reverting to the setting menu is likely due to the fact that you're exceeding the time allowed for calibration (or you're pressing OK).
3. Does driving in a circle mean holding the steering wheel all the way (i.e. a rotation) or turning while moving forward a bit?
Holding the steering wheel all the way and move forward for a full circle.
I've tried every variation I can think of and the best I can get to is getting the thing to read "cal" which the manual tells me means I have NOT finished calibrating.
Follow the instructions I am giving you and it will work. It will say "CALIBRATION COMPLETE"
Please help. Finally, If I simply give up, is there a setting to get rid of the compass? I would rather have no compass than a false compass.
It will work, but if you decide to give up, check your manual. There should be a fuse location for the compass. I don't remember which and locations may vary depending on vehicle anyways.
Good luck!
Matthew
Notes in red. ;)

Matthew 53

TDI
2012 6M Passat
Got it!

:) Thanks so much for the step-by-step. I finally (after 13 attempts) got it to say "calibration complete." I have a manual shift. This is ridiculously difficult to do.

Thanks again.

Happy weekend.

Matthew

jaypep

TDI
2009 Jetta SW TDI
Matthew,

I'm having a similar problem. I wonder if you can shed some light on what you did that finally got it to calibrate successfully?

Here are the basic challenges I'm facing:

1) As I circle under 5mph (in order to keep the calibration screen active), it times out after a few seconds and returns to the previous menu. I've tried starting the calibration while I'm already moving in a circle, but still no luck. It always times out and returns to the previous menu.
2) If I try to go faster in a circle to prevent the timing out, then of course the screen pops up stating setup can only proceed at stationary (aka under 5mph).
3) I've tried holding the "OK" button in while driving in circles, which keeps the display active, but still no calibration complete message.
4) I've tried circling dozens of times even after the calibration screen disappears, but still "CAL" remains.

My next step is to take it to VW, but I thought I'd see if you have any tips or insight that might help. When I first got the car it seemed to be locked on N and NW rather than the true direction, so I assumed it needed to be re-calibrated. Apparently the technician was able to calibrate originally, so I'm just wondering what I am doing wrong. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Justin

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
jaypep,
if you have VAG-COM you can proceed with manual calibration and zone assignment by performing adaptation of module 1C (position sensing), without going through the procedure from the MFA. Your manual should have the list of zones.

jaypep

TDI
2009 Jetta SW TDI
Thanks. I do not have VAG-COM. I wonder if that is how the technician originally calibrated it though. I am in zone 8 according to the manual. Perhaps I can get my local VW to recalibrate using VAG-COM. Thanks for the helpful info.

zanakas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta 160k - original cam, clutch
LF06VWJTDI said:
You're driving too fast and it's kicking you out of setup mode. I went nuts with it for a while as my car did it to me, too.
If you have auto trans, I suggest you "circle" without stepping on the accellerator. If you have manual, go into first gear and balance the clutch to disengage point to keep your car moving.
When the CAL is done the screen will display

CALIBRATION
COMPLETE!
I drove as slow as possible, letting the clutch slip, etc... and did so with until the CAL went out....I pointed east, the compass said west....

jaypep

TDI
2009 Jetta SW TDI
zanakas said:
I drove as slow as possible, letting the clutch slip, etc... and did so with until the CAL went out....I pointed east, the compass said west....
Did your menu display remain in the calibration screen "Please drive in a complete circle" as you drove as slow as possible, or did it go back to the menu for the compass function (where calibrate and zone selections appear)?

PalosParked

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW Black/Black, DSG, Panoramic Sunroof
Similar problem here with my '09 JSW TDI. Compass reads 90 degrees off in the MFD. I went through the calibration steps a couple of times before taking it to the dealership. They also attempted to calibrate it. No luck. Dealership personnel couldn't locate where the J603 vehicle position recognition control module is placed in the new sportwagen. Their new manuals aren't up to date on the new sportwagen yet. Rather than beginning an exploratory I decided to live with a little inconvenience until they figure it out for sure. .....I might not know where I'm going but I sure get there real fast and have alot of fun along th way.

I have since checked the Bentley manual. Bentley shows the module has been moved to the rear of the car. I think it's in the spoiler above the rear hatch. I figured that I could find a magnet and check it out. Does anyone know where the module is for sure?

Update: In the 09 Jetta Sportwagen the compass control module is located behind the headliner at the rear of the car near the roof antennae. Mine was installed incorrectly. Fixed by dealer under warranty.

Last edited: