Mystery Door Latch Problem

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
2003 Jetta GLS wagon.

The lock on the front passenger door doesn't respond to the key fob or any of the inside lock switches. The fault readout says the latch isn't communicating with the car's system. New wiring harness was installed and we attached a new lock mechanism to test it. Still not working.

My fearless and incredibly great mechanic, Keith, at KMH Motors is as stumped as me. Does anyone have any guesses?

Thanks very much.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Gotta be the signal wire to the lock, maybe near where it goes thru the door. But if that's all new, trace from the new stuff back.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
If it's something inside the body and not the door I can't see an easy fix.
As Bob says, check the wires are they go through the flex boots: pretty common for problems to originate here. Also possible that there could be a ground issue; there's a ground behind the side kick panel (just like on the driver's side); not likely a broken wire past the flex area, but anything is possible I suppose (could have been a sub-par manufacturing job: short on a wire or shot on an attention span).

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I noticed today that neither mirror seems to heat up. The driver's side was working well as far as I know. The passenger side was just reconnected. The mirror moves.

Should I just try replacing the mirrors?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I noticed today that neither mirror seems to heat up. The driver's side was working well as far as I know. The passenger side was just reconnected. The mirror moves.

Should I just try replacing the mirrors?
Sounds like you have a short. I would address that first.

Easiest way to pull a wire is to hook it to the old one and pull it through. Just make a bend in both and tape tightly, then pull through.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thank you, Eddie. I can't understand your directions, let alone attempt repairing it.

Does the fuse in the 38 slot control this?

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Check your window motors. There is a computer card in them that gets wet and shorts out. My locks on one of our Beetles wouldn't work. I replaced the door locks thinking that was the problem. No help. Chased all of the wires and couldn't find anything. One of the windows stopped working and when I pulled the motor, the card in it was fried. Replaced it and everything started working again.