2015 Golf TDI reduce oil level repeated warning

Deni

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
Purchased my 2015 Golf TDI SE in May. Since the beginning the car was leaking oil. Dealership replaced the oil pan back in August and I had no issues until few days ago. I was driving on a highway when after about 200 miles I got "reduce oil level" warning. Took car to dealership and they replaced the oil sensor. The same day after they replaced the sensor I got the same warning light. Car is back at the dealership again. Does anyone know what the issue is here and maybe had the same problems? Any input would be greatly apprecetied. Thank you.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
http://pics3.tdiclub.com/data/517/820433_EA288.pdf

page 17 has some info on that sensor.

Matt has some good advice. need to make sure the oil level is a bit below the "do not add" part of the dipstick.

Folks have discovered the same warning from a bit too much oil.

your owners manual should have a good figure on exactly how to read the oil dipstick.

Deni

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
The car is still at the dealership. They just replaced the oil sensor and the reduce warning light came on again after about 130 miles of driving on a highway.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Perhaps the dealer techs need to read that owners manual as well.

Deni

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
I got the car back and they said that they replaced the oil completely. What doesn't make sense is that this time, according to the dealer mechanic here in Miami, the car was low on oil when they checked it. How can the car that's low on oil have warning light to "reduce oil level". I'm totally confused now. I need to take the car for a long highway drive and see if the light comes on again. Thanks for your help.
Deniza

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Check the oil level regularly for at least a while so you have a secondary indication of how much is in the car.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Have you or the dealership tried reducing the oil level? ;) :)

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Pull the dipstick and wipe on rag,
Reinsert the dipstick, remove and wipe on rag,
Continue until you have wiped enough on the rag to lower the level where the reduce oil level light does not come on.
Stop dipping and wiping.
Problem solved.
Edit:
Dispose of rag in a responsible manner and reinsert dipstick.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
maybe the translator didn't spell correctly and message "reduce oil level" actually should say "reduced oil level" as in low.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What is the warning text for not enough oil?:confused:

Deni

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
I got the car back from the dealership today and according to some TSB they removed all the oil and added new per instructions?! We'll see. This only happens while driving on a highway after prolonged time. Thanks for your input.

Deni

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
The warning text says "Reduce Oil Level" with orange triangle! Got it back from the dealership today. They put less oil then normal I guess. I don't think they know what they r doing!?

Deni

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
It actually says "Reduce Oil Level". I misread it the first time it came on and though the car needed more oil.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
So the dealer did an oil change and put in how much oil? Sounds like you should seek another dealer.

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
Reviving this thread after having this happen on my brand "new" 2015 GSW. 1st real highway trip and at about 750 miles the "Reduce oil Level" warning came on. It's 2am and i will check the level tomorrow. Just wondering if there was a widespread issue of this or if my dealer just overfilled it.?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
btw after the highway run the oil is up to 220F, if you check on a cold car it may not show that high.

It takes a fair amount of time to get the oil up to that 220F, at least 10-15 min of highway driving in 60-70 degree outside temps.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
And if they have too much oil in them, the warning will come on just as if there was too little.

MB engines are very sensitive about that... which is why years ago nobody at our shop but me is permitted to change the oil in one. :rolleyes:

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
Oil temp when the light came on was 222. Went up to 233, but mostly stayed around 225. This morning(around 1pm actually) the light still came on at start.

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
My car used/burned a bit of oil in the first 10k and I had that light come on. I just added some oil maybe half a liter at around 8k and then some half way through to the 20k. But really, after that I have not had any issues. I think it takes some miles to fully seat the rings on these engines.

upfisk

TDI
'04 Passat wagon, 2011 Golf TDI 4 door, 6 speed manual, 2015 GSW TDI DSG. al
Reduce oil level

Bought my GSW in northern Indiana and immediately drove to FL. Got the yellow triangle of tragedy in southern IN. Oil level was at the top of the bead-like plastic just below the bare wire area. Rag showed oil at the top. Warning went out. 200 miles later the warning was back and the oil level was the same. Arrived in Stuart, FL and visited the dealer. They drained off 1/2 qt of oil and said the dealer in Northern IN had overfilled the engine. The FL dealer went on to complain that the cars are very fussy about too high or too low in oil level. When doing an oil change don't fill to the top!

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
Checked with the dipstick and it looked just right. After checking the light went off. Guess I'll see what happens on the next long why trip.