Gas camshaft with AFN

FRITS91

TDI
Passat B3 TDI 4motion, golf/rabbit mk1 4motion
Has long wanted to replace the camshaft.
Our drain camshaft has an 8mm lift and 190 degree phase. (1z / afn)
I looked at the calculations of TDMeyster - but I wanted to check everything myself and see the numbers. The gasoline camshaft was cut, the letter G at the end. With the overflow and the phase of 220 degrees.
*First I wrote logs on a standard shaft, and then exactly the same on a gasoline. On logs it is visible that on gasoline consumption of air more and later starts to fall. It is necessary to move the cutoff further to record the log to 5.5-6K of revolutions. - but I think, and so it is clear that the gasoline camshaft is more interesting when tuning.

p.s. maf with volvo d5/t5, The voltage is not set - the standard voltage is left

Last edited:

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
I ran an AEG cam (mk4 2.0L gas) in one of my kubvans, it is indeed a nice upgrade with a little bit of overlap... Honestly, it was a great junkyard build so we basically threw used parts on it and the cam was one of them.

FRITS91

TDI
I have one more gasoline camshaft. Without overlapping - but I do not yet want to install it and test it - this one also works well

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I ran an AEG cam (mk4 2.0L gas) in one of my kubvans, it is indeed a nice upgrade with a little bit of overlap... Honestly, it was a great junkyard build so we basically threw used parts on it and the cam was one of them.
Hm? when I measured mine it had enough lift that the valve springs would coilbind

Grabbed two cams at the same time, an a4 2.0 gas, and an a3 2.0 gas, obd1, turns out they're the same camshaft, whoops

FRITS91

TDI
G60 cam is nice buth needs some modifide to fit head
I also have g60. But I'm too lazy to put it and test it - this overlapping shaft also works well. And what do you mean to modify in the head? The collector is better to pick up the valve, too?
My springs are already hard.
As seen from the log changed not only the range of work but also the maximum filling of the cylinder.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
What's your piston-to-valve clearance? (Measure exhaust at 10 degrees BTDC on the exhaust stroke and intake at 10 degrees ATDC on the intake stroke.)

How close is it getting to valve-spring coil-bind?

FRITS91

TDI
At me now "puddles" in pistons on 2мм are pierced.
But I think with the correct timing - nothing will not hit. The phase is not so great that it would hit the valve with a piston. A valve flap (10mm) at the moment when the piston is far below

All Stock

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
Really curious about the G60 cam. An NA motor likes overlap as it helps bring in more intake mixture...a forced fed motor likes less overlap to keep the cylinder always filling instead of pushing intake charge out the exh port.. VW knows this and I am sure it was part of the design of the G60 given its supercharged. Same with the tdi. However the tdi was an economy thing and the G60 was a performance motor so the durations and lift of the G60 are likely something the tdi could benefit from..

FRITS91

TDI
Really curious about the G60 cam. An NA motor likes overlap as it helps bring in more intake mixture...a forced fed motor likes less overlap to keep the cylinder always filling instead of pushing intake charge out the exh port.. VW knows this and I am sure it was part of the design of the G60 given its supercharged. Same with the tdi. However the tdi was an economy thing and the G60 was a performance motor so the durations and lift of the G60 are likely something the tdi could benefit from..
However, the g60 was exactly the same camshaft as the 2E engine (2 liters 8V atmosphere)
Overlapping helps to blow the engine at high air consumption - disperse the charge through the intake - that would not stop the flow. So I'm still inclined to the fact that I would continue to drive on a distribution with overlapping

jabcok20

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk1
I think long overlap in tdi is wrong. Because tyrbicharged engine need/like more pressure on exhaust. G60 got supercharged so it blows into atmosphere.
Propably if 2 of valves stays open too long flow could be worse than without so long overlap. I dont remember how long overlap is in g60.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Because tyrbicharged engine need/like more pressure on exhaust.
only if you have a very undersized turbine

size the turbo correctly and there isn't going to be a large pressure ratio across the engine (exhaust pressure twice (or more) what intake pressure is) like there is with stock TDI turbos

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
OE camshafts for VAG 8V gasoline engines don't have any significant amount of overlap at 1mm lift where it matters. As long as you account for sufficient valve to piston clearance, you need not worry. If I recall, the ABA cam was best in my simulations, and has a wide lobe separation angle for no overlap.