Installed Ed's Replica Golf R lights and deAutoKey's LED Fogs on SIL's GSW

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
My sister in law got her 15 GSW SE 6MT back in April. She wanted the light package but was hard to find what she wanted in colors with a manual yet alone the LP. Anyway, she knew I told her she can get replicas and get pretty close. I ordered Ed's Golf R replicas, deAutoKey's LED fogs (I have them on my SEL with LP and they're awesome!), deAutoKey's cargo and glove box lights, some chrome tips, and the VW rear bumper protector about a month ago. Ed's lights we optioned with the Morimoto 5500k bulbs. Note all these parts were pricey with most the headlights/Moriomoto. Total cost shipped was just over $1000 US.

We installed the cargo/glove box, tips and rear protector a few weeks ago. Nothing to report other than I've had them on my car for 1-2 years and they all look/work great a year more later. Today we installed the lighting and I prefered to remove the front bumper cover since I felt it was easier. It turned out it was with you needing to remove 3/4 of the hardware anyway for the lights. It also made attaching the fog light resistors easier without the bumper in the way. Total time was 3 hours taking our time and also aligning the headlights as well as we could due to my garage layout. I do have a lift so it was pretty painless. My brother in law and I did the work and he's not a car guy. He agreed this was an easy job and better to take the cover off. Note that you will want two people for this job to make it easier. It can be done but glad I had his help.

Pics to come

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
nice I ordered a set and a badgeless grill,, she might as well get the GTD fender badges and the rear GTD badge on ali express too,,, was only 10 bucks or so...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Is that rain ex washer fluid in there?

get it out ASAP or it will destroy the level sensor.

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
Is that rain ex washer fluid in there?
get it out ASAP or it will destroy the level sensor.
Very nice job with the lights, I am also considering upgrading mine.
740GLE: I've been using RainX windshield washer in our TDIs with no problems, why the concern? Sorry all for diverting the thread topic...

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
I have ran Rain X washer fluid in several brands of cars over many years with low level sensors. Until I have personal experience with issues, I'll deal with the chance. My family works for Audi and VW with no heard issues of this.

rc74racer

TDI
2015 GSW SE TDI
I have ran Rain X washer fluid in several brands of cars over many years with low level sensors. Until I have personal experience with issues, I'll deal with the chance. My family works for Audi and VW with no heard issues of this.
Same here. This issue is complete BS.

And nice lights. I would do this if my SE didn't have the lighting package.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Very nice job with the lights, I am also considering upgrading mine.
740GLE: I've been using RainX windshield washer in our TDIs with no problems, why the concern? Sorry all for diverting the thread topic...
The silicone that makes up Rain-X can contaminate the level sensor and won't be warrantied. At my last service at the dealership, they slapped on a sticker on the washer filler cap stating using Rain-X or other additives can affect the warranty.

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Look good on White too :)

I've had them since February 2015, been installed on the GSW that's due for the buyback in a few days. Awesome, no issue, no errors, no lens condensation (and even spent an autumn plus December parked outside in Madison, WI) only been flashed once while cresting a hill. Took me about 4h to transfer them from my outgoing GSW to my new GSW by myself, no helper (including installing the OEM ones back on the old GSW). Still looking sharp! Best $500 I've ever spent on car stuff.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The silicone that makes up Rain-X can contaminate the level sensor and won't be warrantied. At my last service at the dealership, they slapped on a sticker on the washer filler cap stating using Rain-X or other additives can affect the warranty.

I was avid rainx user until they changed the formula (it was slightly more tang colored than creamcile colored) and toasted the level sensor in the old jetta. I gave up coded the level sensor off and keep running my supply of rain ex out while switching over to generic blue stuff in the Passat.

Maybe rainx changed their formula back, not sure. There was quite a bit of noise on the subject 2-3 years ago.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Yes, her SE had factory fog lamps. We did install the DeAutokey LED fogs to replace original.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I really like Eds replicas and have heard nothing but good results, I just can't stand the little "bedazzled" bottom row, doesn't look like it lights up but just doesn't seem as clean looking.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
I really like Eds replicas and have heard nothing but good results, I just can't stand the little "bedazzled" bottom row, doesn't look like it lights up but just doesn't seem as clean looking.
I agree. The only thing I'd wish they would change!

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
Aditud/Nutty:
Are these headlights plug and play in a 2015 GSW S trim, besides having to replace the light switch?
Any need for any electronics module changes or complex VCDS coding changes?
Thanks!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I believe they are plug and play, no differ light switch needed unless you want auto lights, fogs or rear fog that aren't available on the S.

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
I ran them for 3 years on my MK6 and now have them on my MK7. IMO they're a great product and now a established vendor.

Nothing out that's better except OEM.

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
You can do it without the removal of front cover but I have lifts in my garage and anal enough to do the work to make it easier. And with the car sitting the past 1-2 years, it was a great excuse to clean the filth out that the stealership was too lazy to.

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
My sister in law got her 15 GSW SE 6MT back in April. She wanted the light package but was hard to find what she wanted in colors with a manual yet alone the LP. Anyway, she knew I told her she can get replicas and get pretty close. I ordered Ed's Golf R replicas, deAutoKey's LED fogs (I have them on my SEL with LP and they're awesome!), deAutoKey's cargo and glove box lights, some chrome tips, and the VW rear bumper protector about a month ago. Ed's lights we optioned with the Morimoto 5500k bulbs. Note all these parts were pricey with most the headlights/Moriomoto. Total cost shipped was just over $1000 US.
We installed the cargo/glove box, tips and rear protector a few weeks ago. Nothing to report other than I've had them on my car for 1-2 years and they all look/work great a year more later. Today we installed the lighting and I prefered to remove the front bumper cover since I felt it was easier. It turned out it was with you needing to remove 3/4 of the hardware anyway for the lights. It also made attaching the fog light resistors easier without the bumper in the way. Total time was 3 hours taking our time and also aligning the headlights as well as we could due to my garage layout. I do have a lift so it was pretty painless. My brother in law and I did the work and he's not a car guy. He agreed this was an easy job and better to take the cover off. Note that you will want two people for this job to make it easier. It can be done but glad I had his help.
Pics to come
Thanks, we appreciate it.