How to make turbo louder

Chunkerz

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Golf
If you make the exhaust pipe stick out from under the black thing on the bottom of the rear bumper just a tad then there will be no drone. It doesn't have to stick out more than 1/2-1 inch or so. You may need to cut a spot for it, or you could get the bumper that already has a spot for the exhaust pipe/bad ass ricer tip. That's what I did after I got rear ended and it looks/sounds great!

03mk5tdi

TDI
03 jetta tdi
Replace the plastic air tract pipes [both sides of the turbo] with metal ones.

You could get an ID Parts metal intake pipe (the one that goes from the hose with the MAF to the turbo) and metal boost pipes

i cant find either of these for my mk5 06 tdi jetta... and i cant even find a cai thats all metal that goes all the way to the turbo, only plastic short ram air ones, any help?//?

03mk5tdi

TDI
03 jetta tdi
jsut did a mufflerectomy and it didnt really do anything, what helped the most was removing the engine cover and the sound deadening stuff on ur engine hood. the engine cover is also filled with this stuff.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
cut downpipe before cat, discard everything rearward of cut

louder tiny turbo screamy noises

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Use a short section of feeler gauge to "put a card in the spokes" like on a bicycle.

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
The Evil Beetle is straight-piped and sounds like an F-104. With absolutely nothing between the turbine and the great outdoors it'll be plenty loud, with lots of "fweeps" and "whoops."

I never realized just how loud until I sold it to KERMA back in the day and I'd always know when he was in town.

-mickey

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
The Evil Beetle is straight-piped and sounds like an F-104. With absolutely nothing between the turbine and the great outdoors it'll be plenty loud, with lots of "fweeps" and "whoops."

I never realized just how loud until I sold it to KERMA back in the day and I'd always know when he was in town.

-mickey
The difference is your little TDI is or was not a F-104. The F-104 is the real deal and the straight piped toy is not. Dream on Pal

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke

-mickey
I think that's part of why we all like some turbo whistle. It gives us the feeling of being jet fighter pilots. Jets are cool. Half the American cars from the 50's had jet or turbo themes- despite lacking any of that tech.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I was able to get the "Cummins" sound on my beetle.

We went with a custom down pipe and straight pipe 2 1/2" dia (stainless steel) all the way from the turbo to the rear bumper. Even have the tail pipe stick out past the bumper to minimize the drone. I ran it through one of the backup light holes (looks like an Audi R8 ;)).

There is no question about the turbo spooling!