Why do i suck at reverse (6M content)

Mr_robs

TDI
15' GSW
So im not sure if anyone else has this same issue but im curious. I've been daily driving stick shift for at least 7 years now yet i seem to stall this car pretty regularly.

I'm talking maybe once every other day, almost always in reverse when backing up an incline or making multiple clutch slips to control a slow reverse.

I'm not sure if its the rev hang/new dual mass flywheel but i kind of feel like an idiot.

Am i alone?

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
Mine is overly fond of holding the brakes in reverse, the hill holder function.
Now I don't use foot brake, release hand brake, then let out clutch, this way the hill holder doesn't activate, no need to burn the clutch, feel bad about abusing the clutch, and therefore not inclined to stall.

Next when my updated VCDS cable gets here I've read it's possible to entirely disable the hill holder function. I don't need that function and don't like it.

Otherwise no issues with reverse and stalling, feathering the clutch or the like, I typically don't use any gas for reverse, just ease the clutch out, or half out for a moment can be enough movement to back out of wherever you are, push clutch back in and coast rest of way.

Last edited:

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
My understanding is the the ECM shuts the engine down if the engine RPM drops too low (I think about 400 to 500). So, if the engine stall you are experiencing more as if the engine was turned off (vic the old school stall), try keeping the RPMs up a tad bit.

For the past couple years, my daily driver is a 1Z engine that I never stall. When getting in the 15, I occasionally let the RPMs dip a bit too much & the engine shuts down.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
I think the CR's stall if RPMs drop below 800. I usually rev to 1000-1200 and "drive through" the hill assist. It's a different way to drive, but it works.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
It could be a little tricky if you are backing up hills especially where you live. The reverse gear may not be as low as what you are used too on previous cars? As someone already said you might just need to give it a little more fuel and sacrifice a little more clutch.

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
Sometimes backing up is made more difficult, as when you turn your body and head to see behind, your left leg is stretched and working the clutch with precision can be a bit harder. Yep, our '10 JSW TDI 6M kicked like a bronco when we stalled it!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
ebrake, be glad they kept the manual one on our decontented rides and didn't opt for electronic ebrakes as in euro land

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
My understanding is the the ECM shuts the engine down if the engine RPM drops too low (I think about 400 to 500). So, if the engine stall you are experiencing more as if the engine was turned off (vic the old school stall), try keeping the RPMs up a tad bit.

For the past couple years, my daily driver is a 1Z engine that I never stall. When getting in the 15, I occasionally let the RPMs dip a bit too much & the engine shuts down.
Folks were making that lame excuse for the MK 5's. If you let the clutch out in a reasonable manner, the ECU adjusts the RPMs to suit so the ECU shutting down the engine theiry is pure nonesense. Another nugget was that you have to drive a Diesel differently than a gasser in regards to the clutch. More nonesense.

Since I replaced that engineering fail that VW calls a DMF with a SMF, I stall the engine about once every 6 months instead of at least twice a day like I did with that lame DMF.

It is my understanding that the 6 speed manual syncros do not hold up well to a SMF, so if you have a 6 speed manual, you are pretty much stuck with one of those lame DMFs.

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
My only reason for putting the engine speed as a culprit is as follows:

1) My Mk3's idle speed is ~900 rpm. I probably had become accustomed to it dipping to 750 or so when taking off. I'm not sure... just a guess. That's 17 years worth of "habit" in driving.

2) The Mk6 idles around 850. If it stalls below 800, then there's not as much wiggle room for error when taking off. So my Mk3 habit was incompatible with the Mk6. That meant I needed to give it more effort to keep the engine speed up.

Once you're accustomed to either slightly more RPM, faster clutch action, or a combination of the two, then the "problem" goes away.

Scott

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The engine speed has wrongly been acused of being the colpret when the real problem is the DMF which will not allow you to engage the clutch in a smooth and consistant manner. If you have a smooth and consistant engagement, the ECU will adjust the idle speed to suit and not cut fueling.

Going from stalling twice a day to stalling maybe once every 6 months with the only change is getting rid of that craptastic DMF is is telling in explaining what the real problem is.

Sucks that the 6Ms have weak syncros that a SMF will destroy over time.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
I have the DMF in both my cars, no issues with smooth engagement or stalling, and I'm not hard on clutches. Clutches last me well over 100,000 miles but not sure how long exactly, haven't ever worn one out.

The 05 however has a shudder at approx 1,800 rpm at full throttle, attributed to DMF not taking the torque as result of tune and injectors. For that reason the DMF isn't great though if stock it wouldn't be an issue.

I don't see how DMF flywheel is an excuse for stalling?

Mr_robs

TDI
15' GSW
Yeah im pretty sure its just not being used to driving a DMF for a while. My MK5 had a SMF that was on daily duty for so long and the way my Holden's gearbox is w/ the idle compensation i can basically just let out the clutch with no revs and it the super heavy DMF doesnt mind.

Just a weird learning curve for me i think.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Well Mr. Robs

FWIW I had (maybe still do) a really hard time making smooth shifts with my new Passat. I don't know anything about DMFs and SMFs but I have often been complemented on how smoothly I could shift and I don't expect anyone to admire me on this car. I'm happy with the car but it really needs a little "extra" starting from a stop in 1st and it won't forgive me much if I get sloppy going up the gears. I think you are right, it's a learning curve.

Mr_robs

TDI
15' GSW
Well Mr. Robs

FWIW I had (maybe still do) a really hard time making smooth shifts with my new Passat. I don't know anything about DMFs and SMFs but I have often been complemented on how smoothly I could shift and I don't expect anyone to admire me on this car. I'm happy with the car but it really needs a little "extra" starting from a stop in 1st and it won't forgive me much if I get sloppy going up the gears. I think you are right, it's a learning curve.
Thats definitely comforting for sure! I have been complimented on my manual driving abilities by random friends in the past when it comes to smoothness. Now i dont feel as bad being a bit "clunky" in this car.

How long into ownership/miles are you with your passat?

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I am a year in. It is more natural now but first gear especially needs TLC from a stop. I'd imagine with your hills over there you'll be "focusing" quite a bit.

I also find that if I slow down firmly the shifter is sloppy, almost grinding into low gears. But not so much anymore! Have fun!