Good TDI mechanic in western Mass?

Digeridoo

TDI
Passat Sedan, 1997, Green
Hi -- can anyone recomend a good tdi mechanic in the western Massachusetts area? (I'm in Amherst). I just picked up my first tdi, a 97 Passat, and I'd liked toget it checked out, as well as have a good resource for when I will (inevitably) need it. I've always doe most of my own car work, plus I have a great mechanic now, but tdi's are completely new to both of us.
Regards, JF

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
The only name you need to know: Herm ....worth a trip from anywhere!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The only name you need to know: Herm ....worth a trip from anywhere!
What dd said. I took my '98 to Herm for a going over and it was both educational and reassuring. More than worth it.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>I have a great mechanic now, but tdi's are completely new to both of us.<<

The TDI's are a different breed!! Most "old-time" Diesel mechanics should really not be permitted to work on them unless they've updated their knowledge!!

You won't do better than Herm... it's a bit of a drive to get there, but I assure you that many folks have driven much farther than you would have to!!

That said, userid diesel924 here is about a half hour south of you and does know the TDI's...

Yuri.

Diesel924

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta, Reflex Silver
>>I have a great mechanic now, but tdi's are completely new to both of us.<<

The TDI's are a different breed!! Most "old-time" Diesel mechanics should really not be permitted to work on them unless they've updated their knowledge!!

You won't do better than Herm... it's a bit of a drive to get there, but I assure you that many folks have driven much farther than you would have to!!

That said, userid diesel924 here is about a half hour south of you and does know the TDI's...

Yuri.
I'm always happy to help someone out.

k7leetha

I'm bumping this thread, because I am also in need of a mechanic in Western Mass. The link on Herm's name does not work for me. Does anyone know his contact info? Thanks.

mazot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
His user name in this forum is 'Herm TDI' .