Need to add to the fleet!

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Desert Jetta & 2015 Passat SEL
I currently own a 2003 Jetta TDI 5spd. My situation is that my better half will be in need of new transportation in the not to distant future. NOTE: She won't/can't drive a manual.

So my next purchase must be either an automatic or DSG. That said, I have had great service and reliability from both my Mk3 and Mk4 TDI Jettas. Yes, I service them and do preventative maintenance.

I'd like to stay in the VW family so the question is:

Jetta?
Sportwagon?
Passat?

Reliability and longevity are the main concerns with maintenance costs a close second.

Cost of purchase is secondary to the above, so the newest of the above models won't be ruled out. I prefer diesels, but I wouldn't rule a gaser if it meets my concerns listed above.

What do my fellow members have to say?

Thanks,

John

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
I own a medium-sized fleet of various diesels (since '79), but, to be honest, at least in the last five years, I would have been better off simply driving gas rigs. A gas car will be easier for her to live with.....quicker warm-ups....easier to find gasoline, she will be resistive to adding a conditioner to the fuel tank, etc.

I would also stay the hell away from VW gas turbo cars. VW's are not the "value" they were back when I started out with them. Times have changed. Just me view.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
You say sportswagon, are you looking at getting a newer TDI than the MKIV platform? I don't think they were referred to as sportswagons yet.

I'd boil it down to a few things. How far does she drive? Are you willing to replace the trans valve body if/when it starts to act up? And/or have the auto overhauled? Recently swapped a valve body on a 2000 with 206k on the clock with good results so far.

If she drives less than 5-7 miles one way, I don't think she'd ever be happy with it, especially in the winter. Mine is a cold blooded turd and takes at least 4 miles before it hits operating temp.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
There’s some good deals to be had on fixed TDIs. Just got one myself. If you get a CPO it should have 2 warranties.
I would check CarGurus to see what’s available.
My VW dealer didn’t have one but they asked what I wanted and looked through VW’s inventory and got it. Once they had it, I had first rights to it, but no obligation to buy it if I didn’t want it for whatever reason. Got a CPO 2012 JSW manual w/ 45k mi, heated leather seats, Bluetooth, and no sunroof for $11k.

Happy shopping.

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Desert Jetta & 2015 Passat SEL
Yes, I am open to the very newest of VW's. Not really interested in Mk4's, because there are very few left that I would consider owning.

You say sportswagon, are you looking at getting a newer TDI than the MKIV platform? I don't think they were referred to as sportswagons yet.

I'd boil it down to a few things. How far does she drive? Are you willing to replace the trans valve body if/when it starts to act up? And/or have the auto overhauled? Recently swapped a valve body on a 2000 with 206k on the clock with good results so far.

If she drives less than 5-7 miles one way, I don't think she'd ever be happy with it, especially in the winter. Mine is a cold blooded turd and takes at least 4 miles before it hits operating temp.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fair enough, I'm not familiar enough with the newer tdi's and on how fast they warm up compared to ours. That'd be the only thing I'd suggest. Running a Diesel all the time without it reaching saturated operating temperature is hard on it. It's the reason I won't get one for my wife, being as she only drives 3 miles to work.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
What's she need? If she drives by herself a lot a beetle is very nice, gas model.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2.Slow! 2.Slow! I'm kidding. Terrible engine.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Get a MKVII (2015) Golf Sportwagen with the DSG. Nice car, and the EA288 engine avoids some of the issues the earlier common rail TDI had. Get an S trim to avoid the big sunroof. My .02.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
2.Slow! 2.Slow! I'm kidding. Terrible engine.
And the gear ratios in the 5 speeds are atrocious, 4k rpm at 80mph, had one, traded for a broke timing belt 5 speed beetle...never missed that car...happy with the trade

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And the gear ratios in the 5 speeds are atrocious, 4k rpm at 80mph, had one, traded for a broke timing belt 5 speed beetle...never missed that car...happy with the trade

Mine was an auto... I was always rushing that poor 01M. Sold it to my brother, and he kept it for 6 months before he got tired of the shiny gutless turd... Gls option fully loaded.... 2.0 lol

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Mine was an auto... I was always rushing that poor 01M. Sold it to my brother, and he kept it for 6 months before he got tired of the shiny gutless turd... Gls option fully loaded.... 2.0 lol
I was glad I had less than 700 in it when it left...seemed reliable but it was only a lifeboat while my first and only at the time, left me stranded and had to leave the car behind and fly back to Virginia