Should I buy the Touareg?

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
Hello to all. My last Diesel, an MB ML350 Bluetec, just totaled itself by blowing up its engine. When I bought it had wanted a Touareg, but they were scarce to come by due to the recall, and out of my price range.

Am seriously considering the 3.0 Touareg and test drove a 2013 with 56k miles last night. Now they are in my price range. Solid. It has a warranty on some items through 100k and an additional 4 year/48k warranty on exhaust/drievtrain/turbo/other items resulting from the recall, which warranty kicked in in October 2018.

So things look good from the warranty perspective. I feel I got burned with the Benz, as of course after I bought it, I found out on the MB forums that the Bluetec 3.0 would occasionally blow up for no apparent reason. Mine threw a rod through the oil pan at 102k which should never happen with a Benz other than due to a manufacturing or assembly defect. But, my mechanic advised he knew of a few instances of this. He strongly steered me away from BMW X5s, so as far as diesel SUVs that leaves the Touareg.

I appreciate any comments from 3.0 TDi Touareg owners as to their experiences and comments regarding any issues with these vehices. Long ago I used to drive B3/B4 TDis and apart from window regulators, they were tough as a bag of hammers. That was my impression of Mercedes diesels also until my ML350 self destructed despite impeccable maintenance. We really liked the Touareg and want something diesel that will last, Any/all comments appreciated.

Thanks,

T.Rae

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
Hello to all. My last Diesel, an MB ML350 Bluetec, just totaled itself by blowing up its engine. When I bought it had wanted a Touareg, but they were scarce to come by due to the recall, and out of my price range.

Am seriously considering the 3.0 Touareg and test drove a 2013 with 56k miles last night. Now they are in my price range. Solid. It has a warranty on some items through 100k and an additional 4 year/48k warranty on exhaust/drievtrain/turbo/other items resulting from the recall, which warranty kicked in in October 2018.

So things look good from the warranty perspective. I feel I got burned with the Benz, as of course after I bought it, I found out on the MB forums that the Bluetec 3.0 would occasionally blow up for no apparent reason. Mine threw a rod through the oil pan at 102k which should never happen with a Benz other than due to a manufacturing or assembly defect. But, my mechanic advised he knew of a few instances of this. He strongly steered me away from BMW X5s, so as far as diesel SUVs that leaves the Touareg.

I appreciate any comments from 3.0 TDi Touareg owners as to their experiences and comments regarding any issues with these vehices. Long ago I used to drive B3/B4 TDis and apart from window regulators, they were tough as a bag of hammers. That was my impression of Mercedes diesels also until my ML350 self destructed despite impeccable maintenance. We really liked the Touareg and want something diesel that will last, Any/all comments appreciated.

Thanks,

T.Rae

Very interested I’m also looking to replace a suv with a diesel have been looking at ml and gl Benz diesel what years have this problem? And this must be why there cheap ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Loved my Treg. Other than it eating tires, it was a great car.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've seen a couple OM642s grenade themselves. One in an ML cracked a piston. And another threw a rod. So it does happen, even though those generally are good engines, oil cooler leaks notwithstanding.

The BMW X5 seems pretty robust and an inexpensive option. BMWs can be expensive as they age, but that's also true of the Touareg. Seems you could do well with either.

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
Got good service out of our first one which was sold back to VW with right at 140k miles. Our second and current one (50k miles) is doing well also, so far. If I'm not mistaken, the 3.0 TDI extended emissions warranty is the greater of 10yr/120k (whichever occurs first) from initial service and 4 yr/48k (whichever occurs first) from the emissions modification. Maybe not a huge difference for the vehicle you mention but both apply. Good luck in your search.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
I've seen a couple OM642s grenade themselves. One in an ML cracked a piston. And another threw a rod. So it does happen, even though those generally are good engines, oil cooler leaks notwithstanding.

The BMW X5 seems pretty robust and an inexpensive option. BMWs can be expensive as they age, but that's also true of the Touareg. Seems you could do well with either.
BMW X5 have Open campaign I believe it’s an Tensioner pulley and no fix at this point

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
Thanks all for the info. If we go diesel SUV, which is what we want/need, everything points to the Touareg. Learned after buying the Benz of occasional sudden catastrophic engine failures and then mine threw a rod 2,000 miles after the extended warranty expired. My north shore mechanic buddy who works on all things German also heard of a couple exploding Bluetecs and says to avoid the x5 like the plague due to the issues he's seen. Figured if there were any serious issues with the 3.0 Touareg it's been out long enough you guys could clue me in. So far so good.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
FWIW the X5/335d community is very strong. Similar to here, so lots of support. The Touareg community is not as strong. The M57 engine has a lot of issues with intake clogging and serpentine belt systems. The Touareg V6 has been largely problem free.

closs2sx

TDI
2016 Touareg TDI
Touareg

I just traded a 2015 bmw x5 diesel msport for a new 2016 Touareg tdi. The bmw had almost 43k on it and I never had a single issue. Bmw paid for all the maintenance so I only put fuel in it. I had studded Nokians on it and it wasn't great in the snow at all compared to the 2014 audi q5 sline tdi i had with studless blizzacks on it which was the main reason for getting rid of it. Don't get me wrong it was ok in the snow I just wasn't impressed with it. I drive a 2017 duramax diesel and in 2wd i can get around better than my wife could with the bmw so Im hoping the Touareg will be better. With the big storm about to hit the northeast i hope to be pleasantly surprised. I think bmws in general once they get over 100k its time to move on or it will start to nickel and dime you but if you bought it new and kept it until 100k you would be fine. I loved the bmw just didn't like the way it performed in the snow but on dry roads in sport plus mode with the summer tires on it was an animal and I miss that already. My Wife never pushes a car through a corner so she won't know the difference at all. Resale value sucked on the bmw which surprised me considering its an suv that gets awesome fuel mileage in a must have suv world.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Resale on any luxury or near luxury vehicle is going to be poor. Most used buyers are afraid of ownership costs outside of warranty, which drives values way down, for both gas and diesel vehicles.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
I just traded a 2015 bmw x5 diesel msport for a new 2016 Touareg tdi. The bmw had almost 43k on it and I never had a single issue. Bmw paid for all the maintenance so I only put fuel in it. I had studded Nokians on it and it wasn't great in the snow at all compared to the 2014 audi q5 sline tdi i had with studless blizzacks on it which was the main reason for getting rid of it. Don't get me wrong it was ok in the snow I just wasn't impressed with it. I drive a 2017 duramax diesel and in 2wd i can get around better than my wife could with the bmw so Im hoping the Touareg will be better. With the big storm about to hit the northeast i hope to be pleasantly surprised. I think bmws in general once they get over 100k its time to move on or it will start to nickel and dime you but if you bought it new and kept it until 100k you would be fine. I loved the bmw just didn't like the way it performed in the snow but on dry roads in sport plus mode with the summer tires on it was an animal and I miss that already. My Wife never pushes a car through a corner so she won't know the difference at all. Resale value sucked on the bmw which surprised me considering its an suv that gets awesome fuel mileage in a must have suv world.

The Touareg is a monster in snow. Absolutely rock solid.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
The Touareg is good in snow. But I have to say that my Audi A6 TDI is superior from an all wheel drive standpoint. The Quattro system is phenomenal!

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
FWIW the X5/335d community is very strong. Similar to here, so lots of support. The Touareg community is not as strong. The M57 engine has a lot of issues with intake clogging and serpentine belt systems. The Touareg V6 has been largely problem free.

Our Treg is sitting at a healthy 145k miles. Its been well maintained and so far has only required brakes, tires and fluids according to the full service records that I have for it. The engine has been great. Our emissions warranty will run through 175k or so. But I could see us owning this vehicle to 200k or higher. The resale is going to be lousy anyway.

I've been meaning to write a post about the brakes because I've read about how these cars "eat brakes". Not on ours. The front brakes lasted 100k miles and the rears went to 140k. It does eat tires though.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
Our Treg is sitting at a healthy 145k miles. Its been well maintained and so far has only required brakes, tires and fluids according to the full service records that I have for it. The engine has been great. Our emissions warranty will run through 175k or so. But I could see us owning this vehicle to 200k or higher. The resale is going to be lousy anyway.

I've been meaning to write a post about the brakes because I've read about how these cars "eat brakes". Not on ours. The front brakes lasted 100k miles and the rears went to 140k. It does eat tires though.

I’m looking for a Toureg tdi at the moment I’m wanting two a v 10 2008 and a 2015 v 6 to add to my collection of diesels I’m not going to worry about value of theses unit all I care is they are diesels and they will last me for the rest of my life probably will never buy another Volkswagen product once they move to EV also going to buy a golf wagon tdi already have a tdi Jett’s sel 2015

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf MT indigo blue pearl 4 dr & '15 Touareg TDI
I haven’t had a problem with either of my Touareg TDIs. They both have been awesome in the snow too, I have studless snows on mine for the winter.

Go to clubtouareg.com if you get one and do the TCM tune that Yorktreg does. It is way worth it. He even does an ECU tune to the old VW tune pre-fix so you can have what we all bought originally. Well worth it.

Here is the monster thread on it. https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/...-fix-people-please-step-inside-280754-46.html

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
During my brief time on the MB boards, I have a couple of general observations. Luxury buyers are insurance junkies. Fearful of owning a vehicle past the warranty period and tend to like prepaid service packages to manage their cash flow. There are some good deals to be had on used luxury vehicles out of warranty if you have non dealer service options.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
During my brief time on the MB boards, I have a couple of general observations. Luxury buyers are insurance junkies. Fearful of owning a vehicle past the warranty period and tend to like prepaid service packages to manage their cash flow. There are some good deals to be had on used luxury vehicles out of warranty if you have non dealer service options.

Excellent observation and good advice.

radunegru

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Long time MB diesel owner and tied of repairs that other cars do not have for their entire life: heater core leak, head gasket leaks, stuck glow plugs, suspension nightmares like $1100 for a simple control arm, leaking gas tank, going in and out of limp mode for no particular reason... I had enough.

I started with a Passat TDI 2013 new retun it due to diesel gate then purchased a NEW 2016 touareg and a lowmiles 2015 Passat TDI.

Touareg is an amazing car I have close to 20k but have a lots of friends in Europe with over 300K kilometers trouble free.

squeegee_boy

Veteran Member
My Touareg has had issues with the adaptive cruise/lane assist and with the TPMS. I think I know what this issue is with the latter, but I would avoid models with the adaptive cruise if possible; I am not the only one to have issues with it.

The rest of the car is really nice. No brake component replacement yet at 65,000 miles. I'll be putting new studded tires on in a couple weeks, but only because studded tire studs don't last particularly long, relative to their tread depth. My summer tires lasted two years.

@closs2sx mentioned that his duramax got around better than his wife's BMW. Although mine is a dually, I'd put my duramax as the least snow-capable vehicle that we own. Our Jetta is the best of 5 vehicles in our fleet, with the Touareg just behind (all cars with studded Hakkapeliitaas). My definition of performance is ability to navigate hard-pack snow-covered sweepers at 70 mph. Travelling up steep hills and/or deep snow, the Touareg is right up there, and certainly better than the Jetta; I'd rank it #2 behind a frankenstein 4x4 converted e-350 van that we own. The point is, snow performance is a pretty broad category; Touareg's may not be best in any one particular field, but it is among the best in every category that I have experienced.

I was sitting on the sideline, waiting for the 2016 Golf wagons, but after they pulled TDIs from the market, I bought a Touareg on the last day they had those cars on the market. Overall, the major mechanicals have been bulletproof. It starts instantly at -45F without a block heater, and this is not -45 windchill, but real temperature. The doors sound like a 1990-vintage Mercedes. And if you tow trailers, it is a beast...up to 7700 lbs.

If I totaled my Touareg today, I'd be perfectly comfortable buying another one tomorrow. But as @Truman pointed out, there are a lot of off-warranty luxury makes out there for very little money. A Cayenne is essentially the same car with an air suspension. Our dealer, who I only used for warranty work, is the only VW dealer in the state. They also happen to be the only Porsche dealer in the state. Nevertheless, Cayennes get dedicated Porsche mechanics, whereas Touaregs get Volkswagen mechanics for what is effectively the same car. If I used a dealer for service, I'd feel much more comfortable with the Porsche mechanics. I'd just have to be able to deal with the stigma of driving a Porsche.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
If I totaled my Touareg today, I'd be perfectly comfortable buying another one tomorrow. But as @Truman pointed out, there are a lot of off-warranty luxury makes out there for very little money. A Cayenne is essentially the same car with an air suspension. Our dealer, who I only used for warranty work, is the only VW dealer in the state. They also happen to be the only Porsche dealer in the state. Nevertheless, Cayennes get dedicated Porsche mechanics, whereas Touaregs get Volkswagen mechanics for what is effectively the same car. If I used a dealer for service, I'd feel much more comfortable with the Porsche mechanics. I'd just have to be able to deal with the stigma of driving a Porsche.

Well said. Although I love the Q5 diesel, I also miss my Touareg, but if I contemplated going larger again, it would be to the Cayenne for this exact reason. And it would be painful to own a Cayenne for that exact reason, LOL.

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
Great Info thanks

Thanks everyone for your posts. I am looking at buying a 2015 Toureg/Q7/Cayenne TDI. I Have done extensive research and driven the Toureg and the Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel too. I did not like the Jeep as it handled like a truck while the Toureg was more car like. I’ve also read lots of posts about connecting rods letting go on the Jeep too so that turned me off of that option and WAS thinking of buying a Bluetec Mercedes till I read this! Thanks!
This car has to be my Swiss Army knife and I expect a lot from it. I intend it to tow a pretty large travel trailer and take advantage of the hefty 7700lb towing capacity. I have read many posts of people towing very large (50 foot) and the Toureg apparently performs like a champ. Like someone else put it it does many things well. I expect it to average 9 litres/100 km combined which is not too shabby. I want my cake and eat it too, meaning this is a very potent tow package yet my wife can drive it and most of the time I won’t be hauling the mass of a gigantic pickup truck sucking all that fuel while I’m just driving around and not towing a heavy load. This is what I mean about it being a potent package.I’m sad VW doesn’t sell this any more. In my eyes the Atlas is a lesser vehichle. I can park it easy in my 20 garage with room to spare front and back.
I’m very comfortable with the maintenance on my passat TDI and absolutely love everything about it. So why not double down? The Q7 is a 7 passenger Ute and is about 10 inches longer so I don’t favor it just because I don’t need that and it will be tighter in my garage. I’ve heard the larger tires make the ride quite harsh so am wary of that but would consider the cayenne with the air suspension for trailering purposes but have found the Porsche values ridiculous and can’t by the pretence if the badge. It is so counter to the VW philosophy. My Passat has the fender audio system which is absolutely amazing but I have heard premium system in the Toureg is not that great.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
The Dynaudio system in the Touareg is ok, not as good as the Audi or Porsche premium systems. However, you can always upgrade any car stereo with aftermarket equipment.

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
in the same boat...been looking for a diesel SUV for a while...I absolutely love the x5 power but a friend of mine purchased one and has since spent close to 7k dealing with relatively trivial issues because everything is BMW unique and extremely expensive...

I think the fact that I can use VCDS for maintenance purposes is worth thousands over the MB and BMW trucks and now that the T-regs are affordable I think that will be my next vehicle...I've wanted a Q5 TDi for a while but it's basically a slightly higher A4 and I didn't feel comfortable in it...

now - all this said - what options should I be looking for? I've never really bought a new VW so I`m not familiar with what options come with what package...the BMW sport seats are my favorite option in any of those cars so far but I haven't seen any seat options on the T-regs...I'd love to get HIDs, black leather, backup camera and a towing package...that's about it - don't care for adaptive cruise or any other convenience stuff...does this put me in Highline category? What is the Exec package I keep seeing? It doesn't seem to be available on the other VW models

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I wouldn't say its critical, but the aerial birds eye camera's on the Exec model are pretty cool. I think that they all have HID's but I could be wrong. I am not aware of seat options and I'm not a fan of the seats. They are huge and flat. They are so deep that my wife needs something behind her back to push her forward. I don't think ours has adaptive cruise, but I don't use CC so I don't know. It does have the sensors that beep when you get close to things which is kind of handy for us because our garage is a tight fit.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks everyone for your posts. I am looking at buying a 2015 Toureg/Q7/Cayenne TDI. I Have done extensive research and driven the Toureg and the Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel too. I did not like the Jeep as it handled like a truck while the Toureg was more car like. I’ve also read lots of posts about connecting rods letting go on the Jeep too so that turned me off of that option and WAS thinking of buying a Bluetec Mercedes till I read this! Thanks!

This car has to be my Swiss Army knife and I expect a lot from it. I intend it to tow a pretty large travel trailer and take advantage of the hefty 7700lb towing capacity. I have read many posts of people towing very large (50 foot) and the Toureg apparently performs like a champ. Like someone else put it it does many things well. I expect it to average 9 litres/100 km combined which is not too shabby. I want my cake and eat it too, meaning this is a very potent tow package yet my wife can drive it and most of the time I won’t be hauling the mass of a gigantic pickup truck sucking all that fuel while I’m just driving around and not towing a heavy load. This is what I mean about it being a potent package.I’m sad VW doesn’t sell this any more. In my eyes the Atlas is a lesser vehichle. I can park it easy in my 20 garage with room to spare front and back.

I’m very comfortable with the maintenance on my passat TDI and absolutely love everything about it. So why not double down? The Q7 is a 7 passenger Ute and is about 10 inches longer so I don’t favor it just because I don’t need that and it will be tighter in my garage. I’ve heard the larger tires make the ride quite harsh so am wary of that but would consider the cayenne with the air suspension for trailering purposes but have found the Porsche values ridiculous and can’t by the pretence if the badge. It is so counter to the VW philosophy. My Passat has the fender audio system which is absolutely amazing but I have heard premium system in the Toureg is not that great.

I’m buying the Touareg tdi Vw badge over others for the sole purpose of parts and labor don’t over think it

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
HID headlights

in the same boat...been looking for a diesel SUV for a while...I absolutely love the x5 power but a friend of mine purchased one and has since spent close to 7k dealing with relatively trivial issues because everything is BMW unique and extremely expensive...

I think the fact that I can use VCDS for maintenance purposes is worth thousands over the MB and BMW trucks and now that the T-regs are affordable I think that will be my next vehicle...I've wanted a Q5 TDi for a while but it's basically a slightly higher A4 and I didn't feel comfortable in it...

now - all this said - what options should I be looking for? I've never really bought a new VW so I`m not familiar with what options come with what package...the BMW sport seats are my favorite option in any of those cars so far but I haven't seen any seat options on the T-regs...I'd love to get HIDs, black leather, backup camera and a towing package...that's about it - don't care for adaptive cruise or any other convenience stuff...does this put me in Highline category? What is the Exec package I keep seeing? It doesn't seem to be available on the other VW models
I would not get hung up on the HID headlights. I retrofitted the low beams on my Passat (h7’s) with a pair of LEDS and they are near HID in the amount of light and have a perfect beam pattern. I got them from DE auto they were the top rated bulb on Bulbfacts.com , well worth the money. I have had zero flash downs and the range is amazing. I do a LOT of driving at night in the winter and these were the best investment. The unit replacement cost for HID’s is very high while a pair of the LEDS only set me back 250$.

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
where do you guys look for cars in the US? in Canada we have kijiji which is great but I haven't seen a good online spot for cars in the US

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi all, my first post. My 2014 Touareg with 79,000 mi just stopped running. VW says it HPFP. It is under extended warranty so thankfully costs for replacing fuel system are covered. But I am VERY disappointed. I bought this specific vehicle for the long lasting engine. Darn!!!! Since all of you have more diesel knowledge than me, I would like to ask....
- since 2014 has this Bosch fuel pump had improved modifications or will VW probably be rebuilding with same model pump?
- if there is a new modified pump available, does it seem to be lasting longer than the original faulty pumps?
- if anyone has had this repair done under warranty, is there any future extra warranty coverage I should try requesting since they will be messing with so many parts?
- I live in California and usually purchase diesel at ARCO stations. Could their diesel be sub quality or is that an issue with big brand fuel stations?
Thanks for helping me become informed. Jill

I don’t think the pump has been modified since 2014. The only thing I do that is extra, with the HPFP in mind, is use a diesel fuel additive in every tankful. A few ounces of Opti-Lube, Power Service, or the like, adds lubricity to the fuel that reduces wear on the HPFP. Buy it at any auto store, Walmart, or online.