3” vs 2.5”exhaust on Q5 TDI

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
I have the 3" Magnaflow catback and I love it. I still have all oem emissions equipment installed so it's only slightly louder than stock, but certainly a bit deeper. The perfect note in my opinion. I did not notice any loss in the low end and it does seem to rev a bit more freely so IMO 3" is not too big.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
As mentioned by others, a 3" exhaust will be a lot cooler to touch, flow better and a lot lighter than a dual 2" exhaust... Its all benefits to be had swapping from small to large bore piping and also sounds a bit throattier as well...

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI S-Line + Black Optics Package
I made the decision yesterday to go with the 3” Rawtek dpf and egr delete. I feel like a 3” from the turbo mated with the stock dual 2.5” exhaust will be efficient. I’m mainly going with the 3” for more options when I eventually get the dual magnaflow and an upgraded turbo within the next year or so. So far I’ve had the car for a couple months and I love it.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
With the right upgrades there is 400hp potential there, and with the right tuning of course.
If only the gearbox was stronger i would of gone all the way to 415-420.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I made the decision yesterday to go with the 3” Rawtek dpf and egr delete. I feel like a 3” from the turbo mated with the stock dual 2.5” exhaust will be efficient. I’m mainly going with the 3” for more options when I eventually get the dual magnaflow and an upgraded turbo within the next year or so. So far I’ve had the car for a couple months and I love it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZWX8yO3cgE
here is my 3" sound. VERY VERY DEEP and balls'y

Another one!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soqc0Ye0hgo

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
I have the 3" Magnaflow dual exit Catback on my Q5 and lost no low-end power whatsoever. If anything the turbo spools every so slightly faster and it seems to breathe a bit better on the top end. Very little added noise as well, just a pleasant deepening of the stock exhaust essentially.

I am now looking for an uprated intermediate pipe. I am assuming OEM is 2.5 inch like the rest of the exhaust system?

Because of strict emissions where I live I can't remove the DPF and replace it with the popular DPF delete downpipes so I am looking for an intermediate pipe which I understand fits between the OEM DPF downpipe and the OEM diesel cat converter. Anyone tried this before?