2014 Passat TDI High oil/egt/coolant temps

sreg4444

TDI
2014 Passat DSG TDI (Current), 2016 A6 Prestige TDI (sold), 2014 Passat TDI DSG (bought back)
Does this seem like a normal temperature for a stock 2014 Passat DSG ea189?

I just purchased this 2014 Passat DSG (after doing the buyback on my other 2014 Passat DSG), installed my polarfis and noticed higher than normal temps when compared to my old 2014. I then plugged the VCDS into the car to verify these temps were accurate and sure enough they were. I took it to a dealer to make sure the system was running correctly and told them about the high temps. They said all was normal, but when I got the car back, the temps were still getting to over 100 degrees Celsius, sometimes up to 103-104. So then for my own comparision, I measured (through VCDS) a 2012 jetta tdi and the highest temp that I saw under similar driving conditions was 86 degrees Celcius and that was during a regen.

When I took my car back to the dealer, I showed them this and they took my car on a 28 mile trip and logged temps every 4 miles. They then tested another car (a 2013 Passat DSG TDI) and got the same results, over 100 degrees Celsius. Also to note, it was 40 degrees outside when the dealer ran these logs.

I am able to get the temps up to ~100c just sitting in my driveway holding the car at 2k rpms. I am worried about how hot the car is running. Did VW mess with something causing these cars to run hotter when they did the fix? Something tuning would fix? Can anyone comment on this matter or tell me their coolant temps on a fixed ea189 passat?

Fast forward a week or so later and I look into the problem a little further and noticed high oil and egt temps. Oil is around 245f and egt's are 900f with little acceleration and 30 degree weather. Them seem to climb just barely hitting the pedal like during a regen. I can get it up to 1200f without any effort.

Car has 72k on it and I have owned it for about a month or so. Turbo was replaced by previous owner as stated in the carfax.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Wow! My 2014 JSW never go that hot with stage 1 fox. I think I better double check on my 2015 Passat TDI. She has stage 1 fix, soon to have stage 2 fix when she reaches 40k miles so they can replace DPF at same time. She now have 38k. Bought her with 22k last June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This is why so many of the CKRAs need heater cores right after the fix... because the extra heat from the EGR cooler (or so it seems). Probably why they have such fragile turbochargers, too.

sreg4444

TDI
2014 Passat DSG TDI (Current), 2016 A6 Prestige TDI (sold), 2014 Passat TDI DSG (bought back)
Oilhammer,
My bought back 2014 passat with Malone stage 2 never had these high temps. Of course that car never had the fix while I owned it. Is it something relating to the fix making these run so hot? If so does anyone know what it is? Fueling? EGR?

Would a tune get rid of that? I originally had plans to tune the car but have held off since I noticed these temps.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The "fix" does make the engine get hotter, quicker.

100 C is not really that hot. Most gasoline engines won't even turn the cooling fans on until they are over that, some closer to 220 F (about 105 C).

More EGR, more fuel, more regens, worse fuel economy = cleaner air (yeah, I don't get it either... well, I *do*, but.... :rolleyes: ).

But, getting the coolant and oil up to temp quicker and keeping it there will improve both fuel economy and emissions, so that is why. The CKRAs always got crankin' pretty good from what I have seen, and what others have reported.

You'd almost have to compare it to an identical car to get any good data, but it sounds like the dealer already did this for you. You may not like the behavior, but it does sound like it is normal to me. If the engine got TOO hot, and the cooling fans were both cranking at high speed, and it STILL was too hot, you'd have a warning light on.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
my 2013 would hit 1250F @ EGT1 within seconds of it shifting into 3rd gear, seems 3rd gear signals additional post injection to get that DPF up to its magical number. colder the day, or heavy rain with water spray will also trigger it at anytime. Torque on a mounted tablet was very interesting to watch

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
our pre fix '12 Passat with 80K on the clock was routinely common to see coolant sitting around 220-230 on the highway, but the dummy gauge on the dash never moved. I'm guessing after the fix it did nothing to keep the car cooler.

EGT's move all over the place when load it applied, doesn't take much to get them up to 900F-1200F, just think to yourself it's doing an active regen.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I have a ‘14 tdi sel premium, i noticed over the summer, it would run the fans every time you turned the car off, if the air temperature was over 80-85*, while my ‘13 tdibeetle almost never runs the fans after turning the car off. Installing the polar fis on the passat has been eye opening as the coolant temperature seems considerably higher than the beetle (beetle does show changing oil temperature on the mfi, coolant stays steady). I’ve also noticed the engine bay gets dustier on the beetle than the passat, making me think there is a difference in air flow. My passat had the heater core replaced about 3,000 miles after the fix (2nd time) and the water pump a few hundred miles later.

I drove the passat a couple years prior to the fix and dont revall the fans running as much.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
yup the ckra torches the coolant into a solid, its a hot runner! I have not connected torque to my 2015 yet, but the 2015 "seems" to run colder and takes 5 more miles to generate heat to the vents- i'll connect it up once the 60 hour work weeks taper off :cool:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
yup the ckra torches the coolant into a solid, its a hot runner! I have not connected torque to my 2015 yet, but the 2015 "seems" to run colder and takes 5 more miles to generate heat to the vents- i'll connect it up once the 60 hour work weeks taper off :cool:
I use the oil temp on the MFD as a "dummy" coolant gauge when not running torque.

When i did use torque on the highway, the coolant was pretty darn close to the oil temp, and really only deviated from 190 by 10F or so when doing a regen, def a good 20 degrees cooler than our '12 SE