2001 tdi runaway compression results questions

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Do you have a multimeter? If so check the battery voltage with the car turned off. Then take the red multimeter lead and put it on the stud at the starter.

The one the positive battery cable is hooked to. It should read the same voltage as your battery. If not your cable needs replacement, you’ve taken everything else out of the equation.
The last time his car was turning over his battery and/or wiring started smoking. I just re-read through the thread and do not see any mention of testing or replacing the battery. I don't think it's safe to assume the battery is any good after what it went through.

In this case a bad battery would be good news because otherwise it's going to be a royal PITA trying to find where that short lit off (gotta find the source of that smoke--something melted and for sanity and wallet's sake let's all cross our fingers the battery sacrificed itself).

g0nefish1n, when you had your old starter on the bench did you see or smell anything to indicate it was the source of the smoke you saw?

Last edited:

g0nefish1n

TDI
2001 NB alh
The last time his car was turning over his battery and/or wiring started smoking. I just re-read through the thread and do not see any mention of testing or replacing the battery. I don't think it's safe to assume the battery is any good after what it went through.

In this case a bad battery would be good news because otherwise it's going to be a royal PITA trying to find where that short lit off (gotta find the source of that smoke--something melted and for sanity and wallet's sake let's all cross our fingers the battery sacrificed itself).

g0nefish1n, when you had your old starter on the bench did you see or smell anything to indicate it was the source of the smoke you saw?

Thanks guys. The battery is only 3 months old and I had it tested last night. It tested good, low charge at 71%. Swapped it to my friends truck and it worked fine.

The starter smelled like burnt electrical wires to me. Tested bad on a bench test.

I'm having incredibly bad luck this month.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Do you have a multimeter? If so check the battery voltage with the car turned off. Then take the red multimeter lead and put it on the stud at the starter.

The one the positive battery cable is hooked to. It should read the same voltage as your battery. If not your cable needs replacement, you’ve taken everything else out of the equation.

So maybe the smoking starter took out that positive cable also. Check the big cable like I described with a multi meter. If you don't have one borrow one or get a cheap digital one at Wal Mart, Home Depot, Autozone etc.

You tube has videos on how to work and read one.

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
Update:

Afraid its only bad news. I finally got the money to make repairs. Based on my compression test i decided to get a rebuilt garrett turbo. I installed the turbo over the weekend. I took my time, double checked everything, and got everything put back together today. Well, I went to turn the engine over for 10 seconds to get oil pumping through the turbo lines but my car didn't want to turn over very fast. Now, just to let you know, my starter has been acting a little funny before all this. It sounded a little weird when starting, and would slow crank often. Anyway, after it turned over 5 or 6 times really slowly smoke started coming up from the battery area :( I have no idea why from there, as i didn't do any work near there! I couldn't see exactly where it came from, but both battery post were warm. The negative side appears to have gotten hot enough to melt the tape around it. I reached under and the starter was pretty warm itself also. The solenoid was very cold. (working in 40 degrees). If it was bent rods, would that cause it to turn over very slow? I am thinking i might actually have bent rods, which made it hard for the engine to turn over, which overworked the starter causing it to overheat. Is that plausable? The battery was replaced about 2 months ago with a cheap walmart store brand battery.

I am stumped and at my wits ends, guys. My boss is pretty decent but if i can't get back to work this week i am gonna get fired. I am almost out of money to make anymore repairs or buy replacement parts. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. What might i have overlooked? thank you.
I had a bent rod, just 1mm lower than protrusion spec, was reading 390psi, and it only misfired for the first 10 seconds.

If you have more than 400psi, and less then 75psi of diference. You are ok.

g0nefish1n

TDI
2001 NB alh
UPDATE:

Finally!!!!! Shes running like new! Well, except for the 5 CEL's. But, those are probably from everything being unhooked and turning the engine over repeatedly. Starts and runs perfect, no missing or stumbling.

The problem was that my new ground didn't have 2 post. So I got to thinking about it and I was thinking that maybe the battery wasn't grounded just hooked up to the engine. So i ran a second ground wire from the battery to the frame and BOOM! Full power. Then, she still didn't want to start, then i realized i had a ground wire removed from the injection pump lol. hooked it up and she fired right up! Drove for 20 minutes and got some air in the tires. All seems good!

Thanks everyone for your help with everything!

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
One other point for others who may find this thread. If you are going to test for voltage drop across a wire, it needs to be measured *UNDER LOAD*. With no load, 40ga will show the same voltage as 500MCM (almost hair thin vs about 1/2" diameter . . .) It's ohm's law folks . . . .

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Glad to hear it’s up and running!