ALH to BEW swap?

r3dplanet

TDI
2004 Golf
So I happen to have a spare BEW engine pulled from a 2005 model. It's been thoroughly vetted and I've put a lot of work into it. I bought for cheap and then proceeded to pull the head and have a machinist check it out, replaced the turbo and all of the fuel bits, replaced the tandem pump, etc. It has a Stage 1 Malone tune and runs extremely well now. It has 75,000 miles but wasn't taken care of. So I'm looking for a project for it.

I do not have a Golf body. So I'm looking at buying a local 2002 Golf TDI with a blown ALH engine. Otherwise the car is in good shape and the seller isn't asking very much.

Is it a yuuuuge project to swap in my BEW? I realize that the main trouble will be with the wiring harness. Has anyone done this?

Cheers.

-Red

Last edited:

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
You will need to swap the two engine bay harnesses and ECU, MAF, add the fuel pump wiring and lift pump, put an oxygen sensor in the downpipe and delete the immobilizer.

The rest is just nuts and bolts that should all fit up. Assuming you have a manual transmission.

r3dplanet

TDI
2004 Golf
Sweet. That's all can-do stuff.

Thank you for the great information.

-Red

You will need to swap the two engine bay harnesses and ECU, MAF, add the fuel pump wiring and lift pump, put an oxygen sensor in the downpipe and delete the immobilizer.

The rest is just nuts and bolts that should all fit up. Assuming you have a manual transmission.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
If you have the whole car that the BEW engine is coming out of that will probably make it easier. If you can swap the instrument cluster over then you won't need to delete the immobilizer.

Daniel2141

TDI
2003 Jetta tdi ALH and 2004 Jetta wagon tdi BEW

so I’m actually doing the same thing so I don’t have to go into the fire wall harness I can just remove the main engine harness and swap those ? And just had the fuel system wiring ?