Front End Noise (not a good noise)

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
I have read a few threads and I am still trying to diagnose my problem.

2006 Mk IV Golf, 09A Auto. Just did the solenoids and the trans is shifting and acting fine and also put on new brake pads. Struts and shocks good condition. There is no play in the front end or the drive shafts and I just checked the balance on all four tires. No bad vibrations at the steering wheel either.

Anyway, I have a noise coming from the front end (exact location TBD) and it sounds like a bunch of marbles in a box that is being rotated. The noise is most evident at low (crawl) speeds, both in drive and in reverse. If I put the trans in neutral and go slow in either forward or reverse, the noise is still present. I jacked the car up and put her in drive, but really didn't get much noise.

Also, when on the throttle and accelerating, the noise diminishes to almost nothing. When I let off the gas, it gets loud.

I am thinking either wheel bearings or CV joints. Anyone care to offer up an opinion.

Thank you.

Last edited:

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Could try pulling the serpentine belt and see if the noise goes away. If it does, then you can track down the exact culprit. Recently in my case was a broken AC clutch. Had I caught it sooner, I may have been able to replace just the clutch, but it was too far gone and ended up damaging the splines on the compressor shaft.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
Could try pulling the serpentine belt and see if the noise goes away. If it does, then you can track down the exact culprit. Recently in my case was a broken AC clutch. Had I caught it sooner, I may have been able to replace just the clutch, but it was too far gone and ended up damaging the splines on the compressor shaft.
Not a bad idea to trouble shoot other potential problems, but this is definitely a drivetrain noise. Stopped, with the car running, ZERO noise, AC on or off. I tried every accessory on and off that I could with no change in sounds. Rolling, in neutral, drive or reverse it sounds like a box of marbles or metal parts turning over. YUK !!!!!!!!!

This really sucks, but I guess I'll go for the axle as the culprit. Never did a front drive axle before so it is slightly intimidating. From what I've read, A-1 Cardone is the place to get a replacement axle. I searched and they run about $100, shipped, each side. Anyone want to weigh in on this, please feel free. Anyone in CT, near Norwich, with experience in doing this, please let me know.

Thanks,

lowflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
new beetle
Try accelerating while turning a tight circle (empty parking lot ). That`s how I would verify CV joint noise. Snap the throttle and if the CV joint`s bad it will sound like marbles in a coffee can. Wheel bearing noise is a growl at speed and changes when you load one side and then the other by changing lanes fast.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
Marbles in a coffee can is what she sounds like. New EMP axles ordered, I will do both while she is jacked up and apart. This does suck.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
Picked up the Cardone Select Axles today. Going to do both sides while it is all up in the air and apart. Have to wait a few weeks to get to it.

And wouldn't you know it, my wife's Volvo just fried a rear wheel bearing. She had to stop at a Firestone garage. They replaced the entire hub and bearing assembly and did a full alignment. I did see the hub and bearing they removed. Rotated by hand and you could hear it howl and lots of movement within. Also had a butt load of rust inside the race and on the inside of the hub.

Set me back $530. Ouch !!