need help with my summer tire and rims

andrew_cat

TDI
2000 golf
hey guys this might sound stupid... i purchased my car in december so it had the winter tires and rims on it and the aftermarket ones came with it, im wanting to take the winters off now but heres the question: the summer tires are two different sizes two are 205/40r17 and two are 215/45r17 and they also have 4 spacers with them all im wanting to know is do the taller ones go on front or back ? this is my first car so im a bit confused im use to dealing with trucks and mud terrains lol thanks for any input :)

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Andy, the correct size would be 225/45/17, not the stuff you've posted.

The sizes you posted seem kinda odd. Could it be 215/40/17? Did you reverse the numbers?

My car with its staggered setup used a 40 series in front and a 35 series in the rear.

The rolling diameters of the numbers you posted are not going to match. (This may cause a problem with the ABS system).

Welcome aboard!

andrew_cat

TDI
2000 golf
it could be im not at home rite now im actually working out of town on a train derailment lol but i just wanted the info so that soon as i get home i can get them changed i probably made a mistake , regardless though the larger tire should be in the front ? and thank you for the help :D

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Yeah, I suspect (hope) you'll find the actual numbers a bit different. Yes, generally the taller aspect ratio would go on the front end...meaning the 45 series.

EMSbyDay

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Tire size does not denote the need or not for spacers, that combined with offset will. Spacers are used to push out the wheels further to give the wheels a more "flush" appearance with the body of the car. The narrower tire size may have been used as well to "stretch" the tire on a wider rim so that the sidewalls are not as square and you can lower the car further without rubbing on the fender.

Generally on a Mk4 body the larger spacers will go on the back giving it a lower offset (ie. et 25+ as opposed to 45+)

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Or the spacers could be to get the proper hub diameter of the aftermarket rim. Can you post some pics? 40 and 45 series with those narrow tires are almost like rubber bands. The ride will be harsh.

andrew_cat

TDI
2000 golf
i can get some pics now that im back home and to answer you question about spacers i have no idea? like i said at the beginning the summer tires/rims came with the car so it beats me why i have them he just gave them to me along with the winter tires and rims which is why i was asking the question about them :) if i can figure out how to add pictures lol

Last edited: