WTB TDI Wagon

hecht16

TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon TDI
Are TDIs getting overpriced?

I know I've already posted this a while back. But my wife and I have discussed it further, and now think we could afford as much as $14,500. We'd still prefer a 5 spd manual, but not concerned about other options.
Please PM or email me with any info.
-Sam

Last edited:

hecht16

TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon TDI
Over the weekend, I saw a TDI Wagon on Auto Trader with 100k, but no price listed. I got very excited and called Sunday to inquire. I assumed with that many miles, the price would be within my budget. I was surprised and upset when the salesman told me this morning they are asking $15,900. Is it just me or is that ridiculously high?
So the search continues.
Does anyone have any idea what will happen to the market value of these vehicles when they come out with the next generation of TDIs? Maybe I'll be able to afford one when th 07's come out.
-Sam

Beeble

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 New Beetle
A data point (without analysis): we just paid $24k for a 2004 Jetta wagon (TDI w/ option pkg 2) with 20k miles. It seemed to be the only one available in the southwest (I looked in AZ, NM, CO, TX). The other one I found listed was in Colorado, but when I called, they said someone from Washington had just bought it over the phone.

People are waking up to the advantages of diesels and the Jetta wagons seem to be very hard to find now. Good luck.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Beeble said:
A data point (without analysis): we just paid $24k for a 2004 Jetta wagon (TDI w/ option pkg 2) with 20k miles. It seemed to be the only one available in the southwest (I looked in AZ, NM, CO, TX). The other one I found listed was in Colorado, but when I called, they said someone from Washington had just bought it over the phone.

People are waking up to the advantages of diesels and the Jetta wagons seem to be very hard to find now. Good luck.
I've had a ton of wagons listed on Autotrader.com lately and sometimes on Craigslist. You missed out on some prime 2005's for at or less than you paid for your 04. Where were you? I'm currently out of Jetta wagons at the moment because these wagons usually go poof even B4 they get to me via transporter. I do have a prime, fully loaded, leather & wood 2005 B5 Passat TDI wagon on the way, however. Later!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Reality check-in

Rule #1: Don't attempt to buy the most fuel efficient car in NAmerica during a gas crunch. ;) Wait 'til gasoline falls back to $0.999/gallon :)

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>Wait 'til gasoline falls back to $0.999/gallon <<

I'm afraid we'll see $9.999/gallon before we see 0.999/gallon again...

Yuri.

Muleman

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI Wagon
It is a bad time to be looking to buy a TDI. It's amazing what a year will do. Last year this same week, I got my 05 Passat GLS TDI wagon for invoice less the 2,000.00 rebate. I smile every time I get behind the wheel. 35,000 miles later, it's still a great machine. Good luck in your search.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
hecht16 said:
Does anyone have any idea what will happen to the market value of these vehicles when they come out with the next generation of TDIs?
Probably nothing. Despite their age, the B4 wagons are still one of the best cars you could ever wish for: 25 gallon tank that seems like it never needs filling, and frankly at 10 years old, still a pleasure to drive.

hecht16 said:
Maybe I'll be able to afford one when th 07's come out.
I saw the new Passat wagons last year at the Frankfurt auto show. They are beautiful. Save your pennies and buy one of those!

I look at our wagon as an investment. Hard to believe in a car as an investment, but they really do retain their value! People on here jump all over people asking $10K for a B4 wagon. If you can find one cheaper, good for you. If you can find a well maintained B4 for that price, it may well be worth it.