Help! TDI lost power with white smoke

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
When looking through the holes in the front of the pump pulley you will see a slot in the pump hub, that slot should line up perfectly with the alignment hole in the pump when the motor is at top dead center for the number one cylinder.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
This is for a manual trans, but the concept is same for the auto. Pump and cam will be exactly the same. Mind you I don't have the cam lock plate in, but I can assure you it's all in time, set it all Thursday morning.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
If that is actually what happened, I’m amazed that it starts and runs with a seemingly normal idle. Albeit a smoky one.
If the IP is off, it'll run but make for weird power delivery. If it were me I'd see if the pump would move/pulley not locked down and while you're in there look at the teeth on the belt and see if it looks like it's trying to shred itself

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As long as you bar the engine over in the correct rotation by the crankshaft, and all three of those line up, you don't have a mechanical timing issue with the timing belt. When you bar it over, make sure you line up the crankshaft first with the trans/clutch sight hole first. Lining it up by pump/cam will give you incorrect timing readings. Found that out the fun way when setting the timing belt on the car in the pics.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If the ip bolts slipped a bit that would probably be the easiest thing to fix. That would involve those three bolts in Nero’s first pic. You can see in the pics how his have been moved a bit from time to time. They should look as his do more or less centered in the slots and then fine tune the timing with the vcds.

However if you’re blowing white smoke, is oil dripping out your exhaust? Is there an oily film on the back window or bumper? How’s the oil level on the dip stick? Pull the lower intercooler hose and see how much oil is in there. If you have a yes answer to the first two questions , and there is an abundance of oil in the intercooler and your oil level is low I would suspect the turbo.

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
As long as you bar the engine over in the correct rotation by the crankshaft, and all three of those line up, you don't have a mechanical timing issue with the timing belt. When you bar it over, make sure you line up the crankshaft first with the trans/clutch sight hole first. Lining it up by pump/cam will give you incorrect timing readings. Found that out the fun way when setting the timing belt on the car in the pics.
How obvious is the mark in the trans sight hole? Is it painted?

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Not usually, easy way to find it is look for the timing hole on the IP pump coming up to top dead center at the same time.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
It's a whole lot easier if you have 2 people, one to turn and one to watch

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
If you look at Nero’s photo you can just see the mark in the edge of the hole.

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Since I only have basic tools with me, I want to make sure what I will need to check the timing mark. What size socket is the crank bolt?

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Not sure of the metric size but a 3/4 - 12 point will work.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Definitely a 12 point 19mm, and no it's not usually painted, I did that to make it easier to see when I was close to the hash mark. Was setting a timing belt while an engine was hanging from a cherry picker.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Definitely a 12 point 19mm, and no it's not usually painted, I did that to make it easier to see when I was close to the hash mark. Was setting a timing belt while an engine was hanging from a cherry picker.
That'll be a thing next time I have access... painting the timing mark is a great idea

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Yeah, I have a 6 point 19mm and it definitely isn't working.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That'll be a thing next time I have access... painting the timing mark is a great idea

I just painted the starter teeth through the inspection hole :)

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Better to paint the teeth, can hardly see the mark anyhow.

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
OK, I've made some progress. Here are a couple of pictures. I think I have the crank on DTC (shiny mark) and I think I see the alignment hole on the IP. Can someone confirm?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah those are the right things. The crank doesn't quite look like it's lined up, nor does the pump sprocket, but it could be camera angles. At least your pump does not look like it's loose or anything.

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Yeah those are the right things. The crank doesn't quite look like it's lined up, nor does the pump sprocket, but it could be camera angles. At least your pump does not look like it's loose or anything.
I agree about the crank/pump not being quite lined up.

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I went out and bumped it a little, but it was too much and went past the marks again. Does it look like they are lined up "good enough" or is a tiny bit going to make all the difference?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
When does it puff white smoke? Does it smell sweet? I would bet it doesn't but am I the only one that thinks it may be the pump?

Are you running bio?

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
When does it puff white smoke? Does it smell sweet? I would bet it doesn't but am I the only one that thinks it may be the pump?

Are you running bio?
It puffs a steady stream of white smoke at idle. It's pretty prolific when pressing the throttle.

I am not running bio, aside from what may be blended at the pump.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
It puffs a steady stream of white smoke at idle. It's pretty prolific when pressing the throttle.

I am not running bio, aside from what may be blended at the pump.
Are you loosing coolant?

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Could be some movement of the bolts, check the belt tensioner and verify that the marks are lined up right. Can you get a picture of it? Should look like this.