Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
yes.

Ignore it.

Buy a new car.

Take a trip to Hawaii.

Remodel the kitchen.

Sleep with your feet at the top of the bed instead of the bottom.

Skip rope.

(Other ideas pending...)

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
It's just another form of the infamous glow plug fault code. Check the glow plugs (< 1.5 ohms is good). Or the harness is bad. Last but most costly is a bad relay.

Since it is intermittent, it is not a fuse.

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW stock:Totaled 2000 black Golf gls 315K : retired
I just replaced the glow plugs, and my CEL came right back, I cleaned and tested the harness and it came right back, then tonight I remembered the 3 glow plugs in the coolant, 2 of the caps were corroded on to the plugs, I got them all taken off and cleaned and lo and behold the light is gone /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Hmmm, so the Coolant plugs ARE monitored, contrary to popular belief?

cage

Top Post Dawg
Light hasn't come back yet but I am going to check the resistance in all the plugs. (glow and coolant) and check the connections. I do remember this fault showing up once last year now that I think about it.

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, so the Coolant plugs ARE monitored, contrary to popular belief?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say yes they are. My CEL came back on this morning /images/graemlins/mad.gif I know the contacts were VERY corroded, I will be ripping into them tonight with a small brush and some cleaner to see if it fixes the issue, I would rather not have to replace the harness. I am also going to check the resistances on the plugs tonight too. I will report back with my findings.

Bill

Doug Huffman

Veteran Member
Washington Island, on the other side of Death's Do
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2K3 Silver gone to new home
Read the schematics and see that the coolant heaters are not monitored. Or maybe the schematics are wrong? Your ohm meter is not accurate/precise enough to compare GPs to the same standard as the GP relay/module does. You may speak amongst yourselves now, the conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

rocketman

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 2001 GAL BLUE
If you have access to a micro ohm meter, yes you can! /images/graemlins/grin.gif
But if one is bad, micro ohm meter isn't needed! Just compare reading on all GP's...you will know if one is bad.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
There are fault codes for when the coolant glow plug relays don't work. They (obviously) are not the same as this fault. Those relays are not like the engine glow plug relay and do not report back to the ECM whether the coolant glow plugs are working.

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Well guys, I checked to code and it is the same as listed above. I cleaned the terminals again, cleared the code and it didnt come back. To me that seems like the coolant glow plugs are monitered but remember I am the FNG here /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Check out this thread. I posted some pictures of my harness that I took apart after replacing it. It caused my MIL to come on 4 times within a few hundred km of each other. Sometimes it would come back immediately, sometimes after 400km. As you can see from the pics, no cleaning could have solved my problem as it was on both sides of the lining. Once replaced, I have not had an MIL for over 1 year and 40k km. You could also do a google search for contact cleaner, enhancer. There are lots of products out there you can spray into the harness that removes oxidation & enhances the contact. $10 is cheaper than $25 and less invasive, although the harness is not that hard to replace.

EDIT: Here is a thread I started with a product that I found that looks like it will work.