Is this really an AAZ?

Wombosi

TDI
Caddy
Well the snow is coming down and I finally got to looking closer to this engine I got from JDM this summer. Is it really an AAZ? Has a weird looking pump and it obviously had an intercooler if some type. Not to mention it has an 02A stuck to it. Is it weird?

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
That appears to be an eco-AAZ... "eco" because there's no fuel enrichment diaphragm and fuel pin on the top of the IP, merely a flat plate where that stuff normally goes.

The eco-AAZ was all about fuel economy.. small turbo, no fuel enrichment during boost.

Wombosi

TDI
Caddy
Thanks! I was definitely a bit worried that they had given me a tdi, which I don’t have wiring for. I’ll throw this in the caddy and see how he goes.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
So it's got a mechanical pump... but has plumbing for an intercooler which the AAZ didn't get.

The block sure says AAZ though.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Early AAZ from a B3 Passat (according to the injection pump part number). Which would have used an 02A gearbox behind that engine (the B3s never got a rod-shifted 020).

But the front nub mount suggests an A1 platform application, so maybe it was already in something else than it originally came in?

The AAZ B3 also had no intercooler.

Last edited:

Wombosi

TDI
Caddy
Really appreciate all your help identifying this. There is definitely an orphaned air line coming from the turbo dead-ending towards the pump. Sounds like the next part I need to look for is a non-eco pump as well as the mounting bracket. Have an intercooler and plumbing from a turbo beetle sitting around but may not be worth installing at this point.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
One of the earlier AAZ sport-model diesels did have a factory intercooler, mounted up top on the surface of the hood, if memory serves.

Just can't remember which platform... Golf GTD maybe?

oilhammer

TDI
According to ETKA, the AAZ was only used in A3 Golfs and Jettas (the entire run, 1993 to 1999), late B3 Passats (starting in 1992) and B4 Passats (the entire run, 1995 to 1997) and it would look to be primarily Canadian market cars. We never got any of these here in the US.

Given the part number of the pump is specific to 1992-1993 B3 Passats, that pretty much narrows down what it came from, at least if the pump and block are original to one another. Another clue would be the 02A it is bolted to, as that would also be B3/B4 Passat (the AAZs in Golfs and Jettas got bolted to the 020 transmission).

None of these were equipped with an intercooler. However, all A2, A3, B3, and B4 cars share the "tripod" engine mounting arrangement, with three large chunky (some liquid filled) mounts holding the powertrain to the front and rear subframes, the one on the front located under a bracket near the starter mounting boss. The picture clearly shows the little "nub" mount that A1 cars used, which used two mounts at each "end" of the powertrain (one by the belt, one at the end of the trans) and two opposing roll stop mounts (one at the rear of the transaxle under the steering rack area) and the front one shown that fits into a socket bolted to the front of the body (the A1 has no separate subframes).

So my *guess* is, someone took a powertrain from a Canadian market B3 Passat, switched the mounts to fit an A1 chassis, and stuffed it in a Rabbit or Scirocco and modded it with an intercooler and some sort of change to the pump's fuel enrichment boost mechanism.

Do you have any other pics of the other mounts?

Wombosi

TDI
Caddy
The front mount I changed out to see if the rabbit mount worked, so that was my doing. I think the old one is still lying in the shed. Sorry for the confusion! It also came with a power steering pump and I removed the old water pump to clean out the orange sludge. According to the seller this engine is from Japan. I don’t know where that would be manufactured. After looking closer I really think someone slapped the pump on after the fact because there is a hose delete from one of the intake that used to go to the pump area. Only thing that really matters to me at this point is finding a single-piece pulley style pump.

Here is what it’s going in

You guys are awesome thanks for taking time out of your days to chat!

oilhammer

TDI
OK, so that explains the A1 style nub mount. :p

No idea what sort of market there was in Japan for these.

But the basic "block" is the same family as the engine originally in your pickup, you may just have to clean the threads of some of the holes.

The transmission was not, however. But people have adapted the cable shifted 02A and 02J transmissions to A1 platforms, you just have to use the whole shifter box and you'll need to figure out the hydraulic clutch.